Published: August 2nd, 2011 at 10:58 am ET

Record-high radiation detected at Fukushima, The World Today (ABC Australia), August 2, 2011:

Peter Burns, former chief executive officer of the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency

• “The levels reported of 10 sieverts per hour are very high levels and it’s going to be very difficult to manage workers going into those areas and doing operations.”
  • “10 sieverts is actually a lethal dose of radiation. So you can’t afford to be exposed for more than a few minutes at those levels.”
  • “It means you’re directly exposed to fuel rods in the reactors or the spent fuel ponds very closely and while it’s possible to get to those levels it means there is very little shielding going on there.”

See also:

Published: August 2nd, 2011 at 10:58 am ET

1. New indoor radiation dose record at Fukushima — 5 sieverts per hour detected at Reactor No. 1 — May be higher as it exceeded capacity of measuring device August 2, 2011
  2. Radiation at Reactor No. 1 skyrockets — Now over 200 Sieverts per hour May 23, 2011
  3. Paper: TEPCO needs to check if high radiation doses are “spreading elsewhere” — Two more spots appear to be above 10 sieverts per hour, but no plans to actually take measurements August 2, 2011
  4. Highest Yet: 2 Sieverts per hour detected in No. 1 reactor building on May 13 May 14, 2011
  5. NYT: Fatal Radiation Level Found at Fukushima — “Exceeded” 10 sieverts per hour, measuring device was maxed out August 2, 2011

91 comments to 10+ sieverts per hour means there is direct exposure to fuel rods: Australia’s former top radiation official

• farawayfan farawayfan

How about No Shielding at all. And as for 10 Sv/hr, that’s the minimum possible, truth is they don’t know how high it goes. Still love the 4 mSv exposure by the fastest human beings on the planet. Prob their film badges max out at 4 mSv….

• Rosie

I have a quick question….I’m assuming that at some point this is going to hit the MSM. If it really is this bad I can’t see how it can be avoided for much longer. Any ideas as to when?

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

25 years. When they publish the spin-study “Cancer rises not related to radiation”

• farawayfan farawayfan

BnB is right. MSM will never cover this. We wouldn’t even know 1/10th of this except for the internet, and we probably know less that 1/10 of what we should.

This site and a few others represent sands on a beach compared to MSM and the masses. Truth is, sites like this are probably allowed to continue simply because they know how inconsequential on a mass scale this is. Useful for us who are here though, to get a better picture of the future….

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

Comcast, the local cable tv company ran a show yesterday about Fukushima. It was on “Green TV” channel or some such thing. It had to have been produced back in April as they never got out of March. Made it sould like the accident wasn’t all that big a deal. Fucking idiots. Anyone that saw the show would have been left with the impression it was being handled.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Small blurb on ticker at CNN “Highest Radiation Levels yet at Fukushima” I may not have quoted the exact phrase but it’s close . They are still rambling on about the debt ceiling. So it is getting some media attention albeit minor at this junction. Things that make ya go hmmm.

• StillJill StillJill

Hi Rosie,

I’ve been asking that very bloody question since late March,…still no answer. Reason: We are ALL in UNPRECEDENTED TERRITORY! Not even Chernobyl gives us a TRUE look. The bio-accumulations are the 64,000 dollar question.
    My fear is that my worst freakin’ nightmare X 10,00000000000 Sv/hr will be surpassed!

Jill

• Rosie

Hi Jill, I’m a bit disappointed that the majority view is that it won’t be reported. No-one I know (friends, work colleagues) are interested and they are all totally unaware. The view is that if it’s not reported then it can’t be as bad as I’m making out which I think holds a smidgeon of truth. How on earth can something so horrendous be blacked out permanently? I wouldn’t have thought it was possible. Doesn’t make sense.

• farawayfan farawayfan

Even putting completely aside theories about MSM over the world working to hide it, the only source of data for this is TEPCO and the government of Japan. That means an extremely small number of officials control the main flows of information to the world, and the world media and governments also are likely hampering information release.

Those officials have many powerful reasons to avoid full disclosure (financial, power-keeping, inability to evacuate such a large pop, etc etc etc) that will prevent them from ever fully exposing the situation there, and abroad.

Much like the radiation, the truth will seep out over time. Sadly, truth will seep much more slowly than the radiation….

• moonkai

Like right about now. I think they just found another piece measuring 10 sieverts. LOL. That means their geigers cannot go above that. I bet ya it is wayyyyyy more than that. Who are they fooling? I also heard from a TEPCO worker present at the scene that they are sealing off parts of Daichi. Something bad must have happened. Could it be that the rain forced all some of the fuel pool to sPill ?

• catweazel

one minor msm in germany is posting some updates from time to time and a green politician, Mr. Trittin urged japan to do something. http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Strahlung-sprengt-Messskala-article3958461.html this is the message about todays 10 sievert-event.

• Toadmac

Anyone’s guess as to what’s going on? It sounds like its not good! Maybe coming up from cracks and holes in the ground? We need some answers soon! Is this where it all goes from extremely bad to we’re F$#@KED? or is it we’re f$%#ked anyway so who cares? My baby girls are asleep and I’m really F$#@kED OFF!! TEPCO needs to tell the world the truth!

• Toadmac

Googled “China Syndrome” and apparently we have it all wrong? It is only a hypothetical kind of catastrophic failure that is happening at Fukushima. It could never happen in real life as they use a containment structure that protects against those sorts of things. Soviet designed RBMKs, found only in Russia do not have containment buildings are considered unsafe by western countries. We showed them didn’t we!

• moonkai

Sorry for all the mistakes. Sending from my blackberry.

• Rosie

P.S. It’s annoying not to be able to discuss this with anyone….hence the reason for wanting it in the MSM. I don’t know how to refute all the comments that I’m off my head.

• StillJill StillJill

Rosie,……my roommates have almost 51/50′d me,…friends have sent me snail mail letters telling me that I URGENTLY need mental therapy over this “Fukushina thing”. My family,…well, what family? I’ve lost everything BELIEVING. Know what? Good bloody ridden!

Jilly

• theypoisonus

Same problem here. I have been told I am over reacting, being melodramatic, and of all things, NEGATIVE and I need to learn to meditate, etc.

I give up on all of them. Let them stick their heads in the sand. It isn’t only this issue, look at the financial debacle going on. We are being hit broadside from so many areas that I think most people are in a stupor !

The just do what they have been trained to do and ‘carry on’.

MSM, will always continue with snipets of semi-truth just to appease. imho

• bfly

“The fittest of the fittest will survive! stay alive!” (B.Marley).It is astonishing how this generation has been dumb down about the dangers of radiation!!This will be a thinning of the herds.

• alasanon

worried sick over family & friends! But, it feels much better to know that you tried your best to inform them, provide resources, and data without bowling them over. It’s all you can do. Actually, my family is now pretty much on board. Friends have thanked me. But, it’s not on their priority list, despite having little kids…or being on the West Coast. I find my friends and family in California are the most resistant–? But, I tried, hard.

• WindorSolarPlease

I think most of us has a family, who don’t want to hear anything depressing.

They would rather ignore what’s going on, and go on with life as before. Maybe for them, life is stressful enough without adding more to it?

I happen to like knowing what is going on, without surprises, being able to prepare, and trying to take precautions as much as I can.

I think we should have the true official stats and information. Things should not be withheld, especially to those who want to know.

I am taking vitamins, drinking baking soda with honey, putting Iodine Tincture on, and drinking bottle water. I try not to be outside when it rains.
      I doubt this is enough.

I am older and not in a panic mode (yet), but feeling sad for the young people.

I have given my family these items also, they haven’t used them. I have warned them and suggested a few things. The rest is up to them, they are adults.
      You can’t beat someone over the head with a stick about this.

If you are not one of the lucky ones who can go somewhere safer, then live your life to the fullest and enjoy it.

Don’t get ulcers, driving yourself crazy about this. Instead, protect and prepare as much as you can.

• Novamind

Much resistance at first from family and friends, though some have turned around. Most do not believe it has anything to do with them in any way. I have found a few like minds. Others do not want to hear anything that is not up beat, no matter how real. Ignorance is Bliss.

• Ariana

How bad does this have to get before they finally realize they will have to bury this thing in concrete?! I love the fact that they are saying “10 sieverts per hour may indicate that the fuel has melted through the containment vessel…” No shit, Sherlock. No one around me cares about this either. I don’t get why people are ignoring this…in a few years, they will all wonder why the cancer rates have skyrocketed, and they’ll blame it on something really stupid. Maybe 25 years from now, there will be SOME information published, but we will all be dead by then. People wonder why we have seen so many miscarriages/still births in this country, but they aren’t paying attention to this at all. I have already known two women who have had multiple miscarriages since this crisis began, and one who gave birth to a still born. The doctors can’t explain what happened…
    This has to stop.
    Sorry for the rant… I’m just so tired of TEPCO doing NOTHING.

• SnorkY2K

Burying in concrete is bad. Material needs to be captured from below, cut-up, and isolated. Remote operated vehicles will need to be built to perform operations. Special cutting methods are necessary for materials at those temperatures. They aren’t even taking suggestions from people with experience cutting exotic materials with alternative methods. Just Burying would be the cheap and incomplete solution that TEPCO would love the public to support. Until the material is separated it will continue to make decay heat and pollute water tables, air, and ocean. Also, if the individual chunks are not captured and prevented from randomly moving as the burrow done, any separate chunks may eventually migrate and combine resulting in more prompt criticalities. This needs a moon shot level determined effort to resolve not sweeping it under a rug and hoping people don’t realize how bad that it is. Japan’s new department for scrubbing nuclear news is not helping

• VanneV anne

In 5 months, I suspect that a lot of the fuel, active or spent, has migrated until it is now unrecoverable.

Christopher Busby thinks the international nuclear industry should be the focus of the blame. How separate are the international nuclear industry and the governments of the various countries which use nuclear power? I suspect that there is very little separation. NWO or a world shadow government may already be here.

It will not, in my opinion, be survival of the fittest (a Darwinian, superman, physical, racist fiction). Those who last longest will be those most prepared, however you define preparation.

But if the tipping point of nuclear proliferation hasn’t been yet reached, it soon will be. There will be no survival of the fittest of the human species that is at the top of the food chain.

Someone please stop the nuclear madness NOW!

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

“Fittest” doesn’t always mean ‘biggest and strongest” you know…..

Those with “superior survival skills” and all that entails and luck will live the longest. Lucky them.

• StPaulScout StPaulScout

“Material needs to be captured from below, cut-up, and isolated. Remote operated vehicles will need to be built to perform operations. Special cutting methods are necessary for materials at those temperatures.”

TEPCO already said in 10 years they can start to do just that, provided the technology required for the job is invented by that time…..

• WindorSolarPlease

Hi Ariana

From what I have heard, they can’t entomb it with cement, it’s to hot and the ground is not stable it would not hold.
      This is different than Chernobyl, ground is not the same and it’s hotter.

I agree, I want this to stop also. Being new Grandparents, I don’t like what our new Grandson is breathing in.

I’m not sure they have the technology to stop this monster, yet.
      I do believe that there are people trying to figure this out.

Since they have not stopped this monster, in the future, people will need medical care. This is something that everyone (rich or poor) should be able to receive.

• Ariana

Thank you for explaining that to me… I have read countless books about the Chernobyl reactor, but am not a scientific mind, by any means… I know there are people who want to help, but it seems as though the Japanese government are either too proud or too stubborn to accept assistance.

• Sickputer

Ariana types: What I want to know is: has the worst already happened at Daiichi, or could this get even more horrific? What could happen next?

SP: Bad things have happened most notably the Reactor 3 blast into the jetstream in early March and the continued air and water emissions from reactors 1-4 and the common spent fuel pond.

Certainly it can get much more worse…worst case scenario everyone (workers) flee and Reactors 1-6 all blow uncontrollably. Ten miles away another Fukushima plant (Daini) could be the next one to blow from the workers fleeing the radiation from a totally out of control Daiichi.

As power fails in northern Japan then other plants domino one after another. So yes, it can get much worse…world-ending worse.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Sick:

Correct, it is, in fact, getting much worse with each passing day that the blob have uncontrolled criticality events. One can’t control the inside of a corium mass without breaking it up and putting it in neutron inhibiting inert gas metallic cask dry storage. I suspect that without breaking those masses up that, due to increased Plutonium (radically increasing instability and the potential for future re-criticalities that make more Pu in a positive feedback loop) that more explosions are imminent at R1, R2, not sure about R3 (maybe some others could talk about this special case–where the fuel completely melted down and exploded in the R3 SPF, but I’m not sure about the reactor core, itself). I’m also not sure if nuclear explosion is imminent at R4 SPF, but if it goes completely dry and melts into a unified or large enough blob of corium, it definitely will blow or burn, which is a deep worsening of the situation. Whatever scenarios, the status quo is worsening the situation for everyone everywhere daily and far worse acute events will occur but I don’t know enough to make predictions based on mathematical models.

• westcoastgirl westcoastgirl

This is exactly the scenario that I have considered, which is why nuclear is never safe, and why it can easily lead to an ELE, if the dominos happen to fall the right way…

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

The government of Japan is a puppet government of the U.S., which is the largest single economic interest and military interest in maintaining secrecy and status quos of both nuclear weapons and nuclear power for itself. So, one of the bottom lines is that the actors within the Japanese govenrnments are yes men and cowards. The few who are defecting to tell the truth do not yet represent a critical mass. Those who are criticizing the brainwashed herd or the apparatus producing the disinformation in the Japanese or U.S. (or other) governments are being labelled as alarmist at the most charitable.

• WindorSolarPlease

You are right Ariana, this is horrific and I believe the longer this goes on, and I agree that it will be a deep worsening situation than it already is.

I don’t believe it will get better on it’s own, and I don’t know of anyone who has a magic wand.

I am not a professional in this, and I am also learning as this goes on.

• Seriously, Japan, USA and all people of the planet REALLY should watch this one!!!

Then, for an opposite view watch this one:
      Bill Gates LOVES Nuclear – April 10, 2010

“Deaths per kilowatt”…. yeah right? What a joke! What an arrogant idiot!!!

I for one will never purchase another Microsoft product.

I wonder Billy’s got to say now. (?)

• Thanks anne, info was hidden because… “that could cause concern among people living near nuclear facilities in the USA.”

According to Gyorgy, who invoked the Freedom of Information Act to open up the relevant Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) files, the CIA knew of the 1957 Mayak accident all along, but kept it secret to prevent adverse consequences for the fledgling USA nuclear industry.

Ralph Nader surmised that the information had not been released because of the reluctance of the CIA to highlight a nuclear accident in the USSR, that could cause concern among people living near nuclear facilities in the USA.

Only in 1992, shortly after the fall of the USSR, did the Russians officially acknowledge the accident.

Kind of like our own Simi Valley California cover-up in 1959. Worst ‘known’ accident is U.S. History. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAHmaEs5cYU

• shaktasna999

Huffington Post US has the story buried in Huff UK. They’ll probably bury it in the Green section of the US version.

Post and post and post. Everywhere you can think of. Post to local and large papers everywhere.

We’re all in this together.

• Sickputer

Protect your own family. Have a ready plan in case Mad Max world happens in your neck of the woods.

What is happening? They didn’t just stumble on pieces of fuel rods that fell from the March explosions. The fuel rods that are the biggest danger from 1, 2, and 3 are all melted in big chunks and

My best guess 6,000 miles away is the melt-out of corium is beginning to infiltrate the surface gound soil and soon there will be chaos at Daiichi.

Expect the cameras to be turned off at any time so get a last good look while you can…you might see the reason why they turn them off…I doubt a 30-second time delay will help them censor the beginnings of the end for Daiichi.

Peace.

• jump-ball

The authorities and the media are probably confident they can suppress everything except another 8.0 plus quake and tsunami washing Fuku I radioactive remains inland, a criticality event or explosion or fire, a reactor building collapse, or a rise in Fuku radioactivity requiring complete worker abandonment of the reactors.

Maybe the occurence of one of these events would break the silence and the unbelievable worldwide denial, and begin the entombment process.

• Last night Des Moines radiation was 318 beta which is over 10 times “normal” background.

Someone who posted at my blog on these high levels said she saw beta go up to 490 yesterday.

see http://majiasblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/des-moines-radiation-levels-very-high.html

No cities in the region were anywhere near as high yesterday.

Fort calhoun nuclear plan is immediately due east of Des Moines. Could it be the culprit?

Radnet beta data are not available this morning.

I cannot check it today–will be away from my computer.

If anyone can please do because this is not right…

• alasanon

wow–coming my way! YUM!!!!!

We will NOT be outdone by Japan. No sir.

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

Majia, I was able to get on the site a liitle while ago. Here are the readings for Des Moines from the last week. Many readings well over 400 CPM.

2011-07-26 00:17:04 74
      2011-08-02 10:59:33 203
      2011-08-02 11:59:47 202
      2011-08-02 13:00:00 205
      2011-08-02 14:00:16 218
      2011-08-02 15:00:30 203
      2011-08-02 16:00:43 416

The following quote is from http://www.radiationnetwork.com/

Depending on your location, your elevation or altitude, and your model of Geiger counter, this background radiation level might average anywhere from 5 to 60 CPM, and while background radiation levels are random, it would be unusual for those levels to exceed 100 CPM. Thus, the “Alert Level” for the National Radiation Map is 100 CPM, so if you see any Monitoring Stations with CPM value above 100, further indicated by an Alert symbol over those stations, it probably means that some radioactive source above and beyond background radiation is responsible.

It definitely appears that something is going on in Des Moines. I was going to check other cities in the area but the site is down again.

• alasanon

I read that anything over 100 CPM is hazardous to human health and must be reported, pronto. I would assume that “490″ as listed yesterday in Iowa is dangerous!! Red Flag! Do I have this wrong? I got that proviso on CPM levels from the independent Radiation Network site, but I understand there are variables for different measuring devices.

• Novamind

No you have it right something is going on! Above 200cpm is a remove yourself from the Radiation danger area or shelter inside. Something has happened.

• westcoastgirl westcoastgirl

What is the link to this site? I only know of radiationnetwork, which only has background radiation measurements. I am always curious about beta, don’t understand it very well, but it seems more important.

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

Here is the link. I just checked and the site is still down. It’s been down most of the day.

• alasanon

Jon_NY actually included a link to Radiation Network under the EPA Radnet data, above! I didn’t catch that–trying to follow the economic crisis, too.:P

490 sounds crazy high!!! Not a word on the news?

• alasanon

Such High Levels of Beta wave emissions would indicate the presence of short-lived Radioiodines, which would indicate a recent fissioning process, such as meltdown stage occurring now at Ft. Calhoun??!! Beta waves also come from Tritium to a lesser extent, Cobalt-14, and Cesiums… I also noticed that there is no monitoring anymore in the NE area on the Radiation Network!… :/

What I find more worrisome than a half dozen Nuclear meltdowns is the creepy, fascist lack of media coverage….

• alasanon

I know the plant is still running… albeit, feebly. There must be a lot of leaking or a meltdown in the works!! That would be my conclusion. Sadly, they’ll inform pregnant women in Omaha and surrounding fine places a few months later, as with Fukushima, I guess?!! Gimme a break.

• Thanks so much Jon-NY

Something is definitely up and I am sickened that nothing is being done to protect people.

I am sick with sadness that our government will do nothing to protect its populace.

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

Glad to provide some info. I find it strange that the site has been down all day. Wanted to compare to levels pre-flooding of Fort Calhoun. Hopefully it will be back up soon and hasn’t been taken down to hide something.

• Jebus Jebus

It is being blocked…
            Firefox says…

The connection was interrupted

The connection to cdxnode64.epa.gov was interrupted while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Notice the HTTPS, it is a secure site, encrypted

It is up and running, blocking pings…

Maybe ask this guy why it is being blocked…

x134.67.1.164x is from United States(US) in region North America

Whois query for x134.67.1.164x…

Results returned from whois.arin.net:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency EPA-NET (NET-134-67-0-0-1) x134.67.0.0-134.67.255.255x
            Various Registries (Maintained by ARIN) NET134 (NET-134-0-0-0-0) x134.0.0.0-134.255.255.255x

NetRange: x134.67.0.0-134.67.255.255x

PostalCode:
            Country: US
            RegDate: 1990-03-26
            Updated: 2002-03-01
            Ref: xhttp://whois.arin.net/rest/org/UEPAx

OrgAbuseHandle: GPW1-ARIN
            OrgAbuseName: Wadsworth, Gregory P.
            OrgAbusePhone: +1-919-541-0896
            OrgAbuseEmail:wadsworth.gregory@epa.gov

OrgAbuseRef: xhttp://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/GPW1-ARINx

• Darth

Radiation levels this high certainly means the “fleas” have flown the coop. In other words fumaroles have opened because the corium has seeped out of cracks and is now in the ground perhaps 20 meters below. Bubble-bubble…

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Me thinks you are correct. Perhaps the corium from one and two have united who knows . I would love to see an infrared photo like the one taken in March. I guess that is top secret and will not be available to the public for some time.

• catweazel

i doubt the china syndrom could happen in fuku with all the water around. corium in chernobyl took strange ways using existing tubes, not a straight hellbound drill directly to the core of the earth. it moves more like hot bitumen, not like a sun like fire cutting throgh butter.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

The site of the 1st Fukushima nuclear power plant. Site inside land of crack crack is resulting here and there and the knife black steam of a/the high temperature is said to be spouting from there
    This is another translation.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

To the person that posted the tweet..we hear you and thank you.

• Whatever our pals at Tepco have been doing since March the radiation levels continue to rise.
    Now it is too high to measure with their equipment. I call that unprecedented. Makes me want to switch my coffee for a beer this morning.
    Lots of radio-active iodine in seawater around plant means fission is ongoing.

Whatever they can do they better do now and fast. If this trend continues neither man or machine will be able to approach Fukushima puddle of muck.

Radiation is invisible. Radiation is complicated and unfamiliar. And people don’t want to hear bad news that affects them personally. Makes it easy for the “spin”.

Trust your instincts and do what you can. Best case scenario your in an old folks home at 92 years old wondering if the baking soda and vitamins helped…..

• theypoisonus

Well, I think we all have been aware of this happening sooner or later, however we wished that the PTB could come up with SOMETHING.. that’s why they make the big bux. :(

It seems they don’t know how to do this, and now, they can’t even get close enough to do much at all.
    That recent video of the plant with the IAEA fellows walking/busing around showed so much more damage in the background, and that suprised me. We have seen people and machines milling about for months now, and the place still looks like the day after the incident happened pretty much. Debris everywhere.

For the first time I can say, I’m glad to be 65, I’m glad I never could have children, and I do know how to end things if need be without suffering.
    And, unfortunately, that is the up side. :(

Hate to sound gloom and doom, but I don’t think at this point they have a snowball’s chance in haites of getting this thing remotely under control.

I sure hope someone can come along and show us how they can. This is the worse news to date, other than all those children getting exposed and the deaths of so many from tsunami.
    :) &nbsp &nbsp :)

• theypoisonus

forgot the ; after the html spaceer code.

I have been know for years as a wonderul code dropper. my one claim to fame on the computer. :)

• This might be the worst news to date coming from Fukushima, but we need to look ahead.

Not even a space suit could protect you from that level of radiation. Chat and watch the Fukushima Daiichi Plant – LIVE Cam at http://www.RadioactiveChat.Blogspot.com

• Darth

Check out these images – one showing two gamma ray emanation regions.