186,000 bq/kg of radioactive cesium found 100 km from Fukushima plant

Published: August 16th, 2011 at 6:44 pm ET

Excessive levels of radioactive cesium found 100 km from plant, Kyodo, August 16, 2011:

Excessive levels of radioactive cesium were found in sludge in a ditch at a district court branch in Fukushima Prefecture, about 100 kilometers west of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, the court said Tuesday.

The isotope in the sludge, sampled from a ditch at the Fukushima District Court’s Aizuwakamatsu branch, measured about 186,000 becquerels per kilogram, the court said [...]

Published: August 16th, 2011 at 6:44 pm ET

1. NHK: Radioactive rats with high levels of cesium found 70km from Fukushima plant — As sensitive to radiation as humans (VIDEO) May 14, 2012
  2. Highest Yet: 300 times over cesium limit in wild mushroom — Found far from Fukushima plant, 140 km away in Tochigi Prefecture August 7, 2012
  3. Radioactive cesium now contaminating rice, boar meat — Both found outside Fukushima Pref. August 19, 2011
  4. Groundwater with cesium at 9 times gov’t limit found in Fukushima September 12, 2012
  5. Kyodo: High dosage of cesium similar to Chernobyl evacuation levels found in large city 60 km fom meltdowns — 307,000 Bq/kg in soil on Sept. 14 October 5, 2011

70 comments to 186,000 bq/kg of radioactive cesium found 100 km from Fukushima plant

• Novamind

“What should we do with this sludge” Boss? “Oh just drive somewhere remote and dump it in a ditch”.

• arclight arclight

cynical and going to bed….gnight all!

• Whoopie Whoopie

Been gone all day. Posting to HP.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Folks looking for money for case studies…

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Here’s the link to the whole damn clown shack.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Health Physics Society…you are supposed health professionals…
    Your part in the coverup of the disaster at Fukushima..is considered Crimes Against Humanity…know it.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Cant really be so personal at HP…so will here:
    2 must read books I just finished will help EXPLAIN not only the Cheerleaders but those who help HIDE THE CRIMINAL DEEDS OF OTHERS.
    “The sins of Brother Curtis : a story of betrayal, conviction, and the Mormon Church
    “The psychopath test : a journey through the madness industry Ronson, Jon
    I’m telling you there’s major problems going on with Churches (catholic too but ALL imo) and Pharma Industry. It WILL blow your mind…or not.
    (finished these 2 in 2 days no kidding!)
    PLease do NOT attack me if this offends you. Great reads that’s all I’m saying.

• VanneV anne

To go from one example to “I’m telling you there’s major problems going on with Churches (catholic too but ALL imo” is being subjective, not objective. We could say that humans are not gods and not infallible, and make many inhumane mistakes. Organized religion is full of who have no faith and who do not even know the teachings of their organized religious group. To go from ‘one’ to ‘all’ is to prejudge every individual which is the definition of prejudice.

Of course, you can express your opinion. But when that opinion is an example of prejudice you are making a statement more about yourself than about the ‘group’ of people you are judging.

• VanneV anne

This is not attack. You have attacked yourself and have already expressed knowledge that what you are saying isn’t all that great:”PLease do NOT attack me if this offends you. Great reads that’s all I’m saying.” You could have said “great reads,” without attacking ALL churches.

Obviously, you are saying more.

If you really want to get rid of all nuclear power plants you will need to persuade many of the people in ALL the churches you are attacking.

This is a statement of pity and a hope of education.

• Whoopie Whoopie

I appreciate all your responses, really I do. All I was saying these books were INTERESTING READS.
          The 1st is about Pedophiles in the Morman Religon. That’s not to say ALL MORMONS ARE bad.
          The 2nd is about how psychopaths and the industry of doctors of make ZILLIONS OFF Phama industry.
          “An influential psychologist who is convinced that many important CEOs and politicians are, in fact, psychopaths”

NUCLEAR CHEERLEADERS fit this description to a TEE in the book imo.
          Like I said…didn’t mean to offend anyone.
          Sorry. Off to bed. :)

• RAH

More people have died in the name of religion on this planet than from anything else.

10 centuries of Crusades, The inquisition, Ethnic Cleansing. That’s just off the top of my head.

Religion isn’t evil. It’s the people that make it that way.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

God damn ‘em..,…

• VanneV anne

Romans 12:19
      King James Version (KJV)
      19Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
      Deuteronomy 32:35
      New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)

35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
      In due time their foot will slip;
      their day of disaster is near
      and their doom rushes upon them.”
      Luke 11:2-4
      2 Jesus said, “This is how you should pray:[a]
      “Father, may your name be kept holy.
      May your Kingdom come soon.
      3 Give us each day the food we need,[b]
      4 and forgive us our sins,
      as we forgive those who sin against us.
      And don’t let us yield to temptation.[c]”

• Bobby1

Revelation 11:18
        International Standard Version

The nations were angry, but the time for your wrath has come. It is time for the dead to be judged- to reward your servants, the prophets, the saints, and all who fear your name, both unimportant and important, and to destroy those who destroy the earth.

• VanneV anne

CORRECTION: full of people

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

I’ve yet to see one religious leader step in here and offer spiritual succor to the people.
    Humans are evolutionary failures in the spiritual sense as well.

• VanneV anne

Besides Jesus Christ, my heroes are Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Martin Luther King, Jr. I expect to be sacrificed for my beliefs as well.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Yep…I would like God to damn these evil people..I do not consider it taking his name in vain….
    Some of us are lions ..some of us are lambs(necks stretched for slaughter).
    We all meet our maker alone.
    Only then…. will I lay down my shield.

• VanneV anne

Mahatma Gandhi and Christianity
      If not Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, the Indian Independence struggle would have taken longer with more blood shed, division and war. When senior leaders of the Hindu political groups urged Gandhi to respond ‘violence with violence’ and ‘sword with sword’, he opposed insisting and exhorting the path of non–violence and peace, which was Gandhi’s biggest sword to combat the trained and fully equipped forces.

For sure this great man is one of the most respected leaders of modern history, for not only his life, but also his ideals and his message to the people.

Although Hindu, Gandhi had a very close connection with Christianity and admired Jesus very much, often quoting from his favorite ‘Sermon on the Mount’ chapter in Mathew 5–7.

When the missionary E. Stanley Jones met with Gandhi he asked him, “Mr. Gandhi, though you quote the words of Christ often, why is that you appear to so adamantly reject becoming his follower?”

Gandhi replied, “Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ.”

“If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today,” he added.

Gandhi’s closeness with Christianity began when he was a young man practicing law in South Africa. Apart from being attached with the Christian faith, he intently studied the Bible and the teachings of Jesus, and was also seriously exploring becoming a Christian, which led him to his discovery of a small church gathering in his locality.

These strongly entrenched Biblical teachings have always acted a panacea to many of India’s problems during its freedom struggle.

After deciding to attend the church service in South Africa, he came across a racial barrier, the church barred his way at the door. “Where do you think you’re going, kaffir?” an English man asked Gandhi in a belligerent tone.

Gandhi replied, “I’d like to attend worship here.”

The church elder snarled at him, “There’s no room for kaffirs in this church. Get out of here or I’ll have my assistants throw you down the steps.”

This infamous incident forced Gandhi to never again consider being a Christian, but rather adopt what he found in Christianity and its founder Jesus Christ.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Dear Heart: I hear that! I’m not religious myself; but really enjoy the idea of the Goddess Kali myth applied to the greediest and least ecology respectful humans. Study how she aided the Durga. It’s a delightful story, or the story of the Priest who was to be sacrificed by robbers for their enrichment and how Kali lept from the “mirror” to do what she does. There’s some relief in the concepts of this mythology as not only is there a dealing with the greedy and otherwise morally filthy; but Kali also represents rebirth. Plus, unlike our patriarchal penis hegemony of the past few thousands of years, Kali asserts the power of at least one strong Goddess paradigm. I love it.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Dear ENE’ers. What is the TIME measurement for “186,000 Bq/Kg”??? I’m always flumoxed by this sort of report, since it gives, maybe there is a standard for conversion; but I still don’t get it, little indication of the Bq/second, minute, hour, whatever. I also wonder, when we are given the time to which Bq/Kg corresponds (is this information at all available???), then I’d like to know how many disintegrations per minute this represents, what the efficiency rate would be that we would use to convert this to counts per minute. Once we know counts per minute (CPM) from DPM, then we can have some idea of how dangerous things are. For example, I’ve read in here that anything over 100 cpm is dangerous. I’ve also read that there are many places in the U.S. that are well over 400 cpm and have been for the months, since Fukushima. Any of the more math minded like to clarify (again sorry, or direct to previous posts) how, if any possible way, this above mess can be converted in some debatable and defensible in debate way to absorbed dose measurements of some kind. I keep running into brick walls; but it is NOT logical that these things can’t at least be estimated as absorbed dose measurements, such as Sv/minute, hour, year, whatever milli, micro, whatever. Sorry for my density. I’m sure that I’ve got a lot in common with the majority of dumbass Americans of the U.S. anyway who are also math challenged, mainly. I’m not impatient about this; just challenged. lol sorry for asking the same questions over, fi that’s what I’ve done.

• StillJill StillJill

Here here Anne–you are, you are,…as am I. And Heart-IMHO!

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

We are promised the seal of the living God..just sayin…..
    Rev.7

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

Dear Majia: Thank you for offering to help me. I’m a saaad case when it comes to the maths. lol
    1) this story is “186,000 Bq/”Kg”. How does that function in time? All calculations for absorbed dose and most for disintegrations and counts per minute are absolutely time demarked or dependent for interpretation or for accurate calculation.
    2) What is the conversion, and I know enough to know there is one but don’t get it, between Bq/”whatever time segment” and dpm? Then what sort of efficiency .1, .2, what? for converting to CPM?
    3) From CPM, I can gather as a math layperson a sense of the danger and import of the data since I know that anything over 100 CPM is dangerous and that there are places in the U.S. that are over 400 cpm.
    4) (the doozy) How can one make an educated extrapolation between CPM and Sv. I don’t believe there is NO way to do this. There is a way. It may not be perfect; but everyone says there isn’t. I don’t buy that. We have to be able to figure out how disintegrations or counts per minute could be an estimate for someone near a gamma source (not stopped by clothing or walls, except of lead of a certain thickness or earth of a certain thickness)of how much of that gamma source is being absorbed. I know there are other variables, which in my maths hat slow as molasses in January way, I will become aware of over time to help get this. I just wonder about the above things. My “wondering” is because not knowing the answers to the above enummerated questions makes it difficult to lay people to put a head on their outrage and then be able to defend the data or use the data to inspire realistic response or reaction in others, if that makes any sense. Please, of course, feel free to ask qualifying questions. Maths are a language where I don’t know, necessarily, what I don’t know if you know what I mean. ;)

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno@yahoo.com

OMG, “For” not “to” lay people. lol

• Cambie

A Becquerel is one disintgration per second. Simple as that. Congrats on posting something to do with the topic.

• I hope I’m correct.

I’m learning so my help is really sketchy but this is what I think I undersand:
      Becquerels: a count of decays (decays per second)
      Grays: An energy density
      Rem: An earlier measure of the effect of radiation. Wikipedia says “rem (symbol rem) is a unit of radiation dose equivalent. It is the product of the absorbed dose in rads and a weighting factor, WR, which accounts for the effectiveness of the radiation to cause biological damage.”

The rem is being replaced by the vocabulary and measurement of the sievert

Sieverts: The biological effect per second
      • 1 rem = 0.01 Sv = 10 mSv
      • 1 mrem = 0.01 mSv = 10 μSv
      • 1 Sv = 100 rem
      • 1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem
      • 1 μSv = 0.1 mrem

186,000 Becquerels per kilogram means that the radioactive decays per second for a kilogram of this substance is 186,000 decays per second.
      That means this stuff is pretty “hot” I think

I would assume that the number, 186,000, is referring to all forms of radiation measured, so that it would be a total count rather than simply referring to the radioactive decay of say, Cesium-137

However, one trick the Japanese officials have played is to only count the radioactive decay of one isotope, like Cesium-137, in order to minimize readings.

To know what the biological effects are of the number given we need to know what kinds of radiation are being measured

here are some conversions I’ve found:
      75 picocuries, or 2.775 becquerel of I-131 = 100 mrem/yr
      2000 picocuries, or 74 becquerel of Cs-134 = 100 mrem/yr
      5000 picocuries, or 185 becquerel of Cs-137 = 100 mrem/yr.

EPA figures that if 10,000 people are exposed to 1 rem of radiation over a lifetime, cancer rates from that exposure will be 5 to 6
      THE EPA RECOMMENDS EXPOSURE TO BACKGROUND RADIATIONS SHOULD BE NO MORE THAN 100 MREM A YEAR

SO, let us pretend for a moment that the 186,000 Becquerels is of Cesium-137 we could roughly state that exposure would equate with approximately 100,000 mrems, which would be far in excess of the EPA’s recommendations.

READERS: PLEASE POST CORRECTIONS IF I’VE MADE ERRORS

Some links
      Excellent summary cite on effects of low-dose ionizing radiation
      Busby cite

• VanneV anne

A person will be happier and more productive if he/she prays to God to change the hearts of people and to enlighten us all.

A good example is Leuren Moret. She is a Quaker. Quakers are pacifist. She tries to bring about change by teaching others.

I don’t know a religion that teaches anyone to pray to God to damn others. Anyone with a link or quotation from a particular religion that doesn’t worship Satan?

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

I want God to cast… these folks to hell..no learning necessary.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Why even bother with the concept of hell..if dirt bags like this aren’t going?

• New Radiation Detectors from Japan

(Reuters) – To meet growing demand for radiation detectors after Japan’s March earthquake and tsunami, which set off the world’s worst nuclear accident in 25 years, a Japanese researcher has come up with devices made from recycled PET bottles — inexpensively.

[Question: What's a PET bottle?]

• VanneV anne

Matthew 7:13-14 [New Living Translation (NLT)]
    13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell[a] is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Mark 10:24-30 [New Living Translation (NLT)]
    24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard[a] to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”
    26 The disciples were astounded. “Then who in the world can be saved?” they asked.
    27 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But not with God. Everything is possible with God.”
    Revelation 22:17-19 [New Living Translation (NLT)]
    17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” Let anyone who hears this say, “Come.” Let anyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who desires drink freely from the water of life. 18 And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the words of prophecy written in this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone removes any of the words from this book of prophecy, God will remove that person’s share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hello???
    Good morning all. Not to be offensive, but if I wanted to read the bible, I’d know where to find one.

• maaa

We need people to test the drinking water in Japan for cesium and other stuff. We don’t hear anything about drinking water now.