Channel 4 (UK) ‘Nuclear Ginza’ Part I, Kenji Higuchi, 1995:
At 1:00 in
Kazuyuki Iwasa, nuclear worker: The diagnosis was “radio dermatitis secondary lymphedema”
Kenji Higuchi, photographer: How long did you work in the nuclear plant?
Iwasa: Two and a half hours.
At 2:00 in
Higuchi: I stumbled upon these stories as a young photographer 20 years ago, it changed my life. The scenes I saw, the stories I heard, I found them difficult to believe at first, like workers go near the reactor and get exposed and that many of them become ill with radiation sickness and sometimes die. Or that these people are farmers or fisherman or even laborers picked off the street in the slums of Osaka and Tokyo. But when I started looking, I found so many of these people, people who didn’t know what had happened to them, or if they did, too frightened to speak out. The thing that struck me was that all their stories were the same. [...] People simply don’t believe this could happen in a country like Japan.
See also: UN Official ‘Astounded’: Homeless are taken to work in Fukushima, ready to die — They live in Tokyo shanty towns inside plastic huts — Police: Workers end up in debt to employers after food and housing fees deducted (VIDEO)
Published: January 19th, 2014 at 8:37 pm ET
- TV: Nuclear workers “stripped naked, soaked in sweat… gasping for air” — “My teeth started breaking off” — “It’s as if they are the living dead” — “Democracy destroyed in areas where nuclear power exists” (VIDEO) January 20, 2014
- Documentary: Photo captures moment containment vessel destroyed at Fukushima — Workers: White steam is coming out of reactor! Radiation spiking in central Tokyo! — US Nuclear Official: “Fukushima was nuclear power’s finest hour… everything worked as engineered” (VIDEO) October 3, 2014
- VIDEO: Gov’t experts highly suspicious of Japan’s claim that nobody suffered acute radiation syndrome after Fukushima — So many workers were ill they had to lay on cardboard after running out of beds — Officials “repeatedly talked of death” — CBS: There were reports of people with radiation sickness September 17, 2014
- Documentary shows simulation of Fukushima melt-through — Footage of molten nuclear fuel (VIDEO) March 15, 2013
- Documentary: After first explosion, only a matter of time before nuclear fuel would melt through into the open — Evacuating out to 300km from Fukushima was worst case scenario -PM Kan (VIDEO) February 24, 2012