Published: March 9th, 2012 at 12:00 am ET

This is a special discussion thread to share and discuss activities, broadcasts, and other special events commemorating 3/11.

At my request a trusted friend in Japan said they think one of the best charities is Japan Chernobyl Foundation.

Here is the link: http://jcf.ne.jp/about/about7.html (ENENews has no affiliation or connection with this organization)

Thanks to all the kind and generous people who write in with great suggestions and encouragement… and of course those news tips.

Published: March 9th, 2012 at 12:00 am ET

1. FORUM: Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here (Dec. 17, 2011 – Present) September 1, 2012
  2. FORUM: Fukushima Webcam Discussion Thread (Dec. 14, 2011 – June 29, 2012) September 1, 2012
  3. FORUM: Discussion Thread for May 26 – June 1, 2011 May 26, 2011
  4. FORUM: General Discussion Thread (Nuclear Issues) for Mar. 1 – 11, 2012 March 1, 2012
  5. FORUM: General Discussion Thread for Feb. 9 – 13, 2012 February 9, 2012

135 comments to FORUM: 3/11 Commemoration — Worldwide Event Schedules: Gatherings, Activities, Broadcasts, More…

• Kaleidoscope of the Heart: A year later, what's important to you?

… There is a Japanese expression that goes: "Once you've swallowed the food you forget its heat," meaning we tend to forget bad or dangerous times once they're past. Of course, it's not entirely a bad thing to let painful memories fade; it lets us get on with our lives. However, this doesn't mean that we should forget the realizations we came to and the promises we made at the height of the disaster — like taking good care of family and friends from now on, or getting a handle on our material desires.

Among my Tokyo patients are business men who have wrecked both their mental and physical health through overwork, and women who have lost the will to live after a lover tricked them out of their money. Just after the disasters, though, everyone must have done a little self-examination, and must have asked themselves: "What's really important to me?" …

• Thousands stage Japan anti-nuclear protest
    Sun Mar 11 2012

Tens of thousands of people have rallied near Japan's crippled Fukushima plant demanding an end to nuclear power as the nation marked the first anniversary of a disastrous earthquake and tsunami.

Memorial ceremonies and anti-nuclear demonstrations were held across the northeast region where an estimated 160,000 people were forced to evacuate after the monster waves triggered a meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.

Around 16,000 people gathered at a baseball stadium in Koriyama some 60 kilometres away from the plant.

Participants called for an end to nuclear energy in Japan and compensation for victims from operator Tokyo Electric Power, a year after the March 11 quake-tsunami sparked the world's worst atomic disaster in a generation.

"Our town has turned out to be another Chernobyl," ….

• CaptD CaptD

Since 3/11 many Worldwide have provided daily updates and or news since MSM has failed to properly cover the story…

I would like to publicly thank all those folks that have given so much time and effort for a job WELL DONE.

Now a year later, MSM is just starting to "cover" the Fukushima Trillion Dollar Eco-Disaster that is still ongoing now and will continue to be in the news for at least another 50 to 100 years!

Global radioactive pollution is increasing daily and the entire Complex could suffer another massive Hydro-Corium Steam Event at any time thanks to Nature which can destroy any land based nuclear reactor, any place anytime 24/7/365!

• CaptD CaptD

I would like to publicly thank all those folks that have given so much time and effort for a job WELL DONE; here on HP the "Japanese Irregulars" are one such group!

• yvonne

I just want to thank enenews & all of you posters for a place to come and feel like I'm with like minded people. I've been here since the beginning but don't post much. Thanks for helping me stay somewhat sane in an insane world. You guys are awesome thanks for all the great work! NO NUKES!!! Peace

• StillJill StillJill

yvonne,…Thank you,…from me personally! I needed that. Since you've been here so long,…perhaps you have some idea what GOOD your words do, eh?

Bless you my friend! :-)

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

Vigil @ West Gate UCB—Sun's coming out, so I'm heading out! University & Oxford area … the home of the beginnings of this horror. 3 to 5 PM unless the rain comes.

• What-About-The-Kids

On this anniversary of the tragic events in Japan, I join all you Enenewsers in sharing my heartfelt empathy, compassion and support for the people of Japan whose lives have been forever changed.

I am happy to report this bit of hopeful news I found from the French press agency AFP about the world's citizens gathering today to show their support for the people of Japan, while expressing their mutual commitment to shut down the world's nuclear power plants: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2A3r4xeVi3tGK1bRQPPiwcqIiCA?docId=CNG.31f8de9a58d069f4c137be66715677b6.641

Note however the glaring lack of mention of all of the demonstrations happening in the U.S. today. Perhaps I overlooked that part of the article?…If not, someone should send AFP a link to this forum! ;-)

BTW: Admin and Enenewsers, you should be very proud! When doing a search on Google for "Fukushima News" today, Enenews.com was THIRD on the list after the BBC News! :-) Interestingly though, when doing the identical search on Startingpage.com ("the world's most 'private' search engine"), Enenews.com came up #1!!!

Hmmm…wonder why there is a difference, seeing Startingpage's default search engine is Google? ;-P

Anyway, congratulations for being the world's "go to" source for news, Fukushima, Enenews!

• Myme

Today I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to the folks at ENENEWS and everyone who’s participated in the discussion here – because I’ve learned a lot from everyone and you’ve provided a place to have a voice even for someone like me, non-technical novice.

For me, this is a one year anniversary of multiple depths. Like many, I witnessed the surreal tragedy of mankind unfold on TV that day; I held my breath with horror and tears, watching people in my home country tossed around and swallowed in the tsunamis like a toy; I fret and screamed at TEPCO and JP government in their handling of the national crisis, which they’ve grown into a global eco disaster with incompetency, dishonesty, political/financial manipulation, greed, and disregard for human life.

Until the Fukushima accident, like many, I used to be ignorant on nuclear power, did not question the industry/authority, did not bother to check all the facts (just like the many ignorant journalists we still see sometimes). It was when I saw Fukushima blow up – and then heard the Japanese officials saying it’s not serious and CNN parroting the same – when I knew I must find information myself, in order to protect my family both in Japan and here in the US.

This has been a year of eye-opening learning and I am glad I found ENENEWS and everyone here. You have been the voice of sanity in the lunatic cycle of deception/misinformation, you have been the voice of support and encouragement in despair, and you have been the rock in many ways. Thank you, guys!!

• StillJill StillJill

Dear Myme,….It thrills my heart to hear that hearts have been soothed by our 'flashlight shinning'!!!! All my life I have wanted to be a healing voice in 'the darkened room'. All you lurkers are surely getting through to this ol'e gals psyche! In a GRAND and good way for once!

I love you for telling us how what we all do, helps! :-)

• Whoopie Whoopie

Weekend roundup: Tens of thousands protest in cities across Japan. http://bit.ly/yG1TZr

• Whoopie Whoopie

‘Danger Zone: Aging nuclear reactors’: Today is the first anniversary of the disaster at Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. Activists are protesting near San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, eager to shut the plant down.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Good place for this from awhile back but might have been missed by some peeps
    #Fukushima: Japan's Tipping Point http://markpendergrast.com/japans-tipping-point

• Whoopie Whoopie

PLEASE JOIN if you haven't!
    STOP NEW NUCLEAR

• Whoopie Whoopie

1 yr ago 2day #fukushima melted down. It COULD happen here. Tell @barackobama and #congress no nukes! http://bit.ly/fukuversiary

• Whoopie Whoopie

Can a Fukushima-like nuclear disaster happen in New York?
    On Sunday, anti-nuclear activists held a vigil for the victims of Fukushima and a demonstration to shut down the Indian Point nuclear power station which protestors say is an even larger threat than Fukushima.

• What-About-The-Kids

Here is a first-hand account of the 1 yr. anniversary commemoration of 3/11 from a mother who lives in the shadow of the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant in Southern California–and downwind from Fukushima (we are ALL downwind from Fuku).

Her baby was just 3 months old when Fuku blew its top. Like most of us here, she instinctively knew it was bad and went online searching for the truth:

"Turn a light off for Fukushima":

• What-About-The-Kids

Here's the link directly to the top of the article: http://decommission.sanonofre.com/2012/03/fukushima-remembered-in-san-clemente.html?m=1

SNIP:

" Saturday night visitors from Japan spoke to our town, gathered at the San Clemente Community Center. We heard their fears for their children's health. The quest to discover the truth, uncovering the lies of the nuclear industry and a conspiring government.

"The government sent them radioactive milk for their children to drink. Allowed them to play on playgrounds with unconscionable amounts of radioactivity. Shamed parents trying to protect their children, telling them they were solely seeking fame. The pain, the panic, the unanswered questions still remain.

"Parents in desperate search for the truth. Helpless to protect their children from the unseen, tasteless, odorless. Deadly byproducts of a profit hungry industry.

"Our Japanese guests tell us how grateful they are to eat food they don't fear is contaminated. They express concern for our safety sharing with us an alarming radiation reading they found at our TStreet. A gieger counter inside the community center reads 0.025. We join with them at the end of the presentation to walk silently up Del Mar Avenue each of us holding a candle in solidarity…"

• What-About-The-Kids

…Continued from above:

"'But where will we get our power?'" an ugly angry face screams from a bar. They flip us off as we walk alongside the mothers of Fukushima. A group of young men scream out 'we love our nuclear waste.' For the first time in my life I am ashamed of San Clemente.

"'Mother Teresa never joined a protest,' my friend gently guides me,'she never wanted to be against anything. We are powerful united in love.'

"I know she is trying to soothe my agitation, anger and fear. And while her friendship comforts me, as a new mom with a 15 month old baby growing up near this power plant I remain unconvinced. Kate was 3 months to the day of this disaster and I have carefully tracked the radioactive plumes. I noticed when web sites stopped showing the information. As an avid watcher of international news the media blackout was very apparent to me.

"The next day we all gather at the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant. I choose to leave my baby at home. My sister-in-law drives our compressed natural gas car to drop us off. We pass multiple clusters of police cars. Police forces drawn from San Diego County,Orange County and even Los Angeles County line the road to a clearing in a field where people are singing songs.

"We listen to the speakers. Ace Hoffman, a brilliant man and published author who has dedicated his life to uncovering the lies of the nuclear industry.

"Gary Headrick a local San Clemente resident who initially started San Clemente Green to bring awareness to green issues but was contacted multiple times by whistle blowers at the plant. Workers scared of retaliation if their safety complaints were made.

"Torgen Johnson,a Harvard educated architect and urban planner,having lived in the Caribbean he has experienced the phenomenon know as "tequila sunrise" sands traveling thousands of miles in the atmosphere. He knew those Fukushima plumes were arriving on US and Canadian soil and affect us to this day.

"Surfer…

• What-About-The-Kids

Continued from above:..

…"Surfer Cori Schumacher, in the ocean everyday can attest that we are all indeed connected by that big ocean. As she put it surfers are "canaries in the coal mine" when it comes to ocean pollutants.

"I tuck my baby into bed. I dream of new answers. I walk through the house and turn off every extraneous light. 'Turn off a light for Fukushima' I say under my breath.

"I dream of a day the solar panels at the San Onofre power plant will grow from just the lights in the parking lot to the whole hillside. A day when the lies are out in the sunshine and the fears put to rest. A day when our power source is renewables and this deadly dinosaur has been put to sleep forever."

• What-About-The-Kids

You're welcome, Mack! :-) I too was appalled to hear that no San Onofre city officials bothered to go to the event and welcome their visitors from Japan and pay their respects and show their compassion for all they have gone through.

And the young person's rude and ignorant comment: "We love our nuclear waste," just goes to show how much work we need to do to educate our young people about the dangers of nuclear radiation. Ignorance is not bliss, not any longer in a post-Fuku world.