Published: March 30th, 2012 at 5:46 pm ET

Title: Canopy-Forming Kelps as California’s Coastal Dosimeter: 131I from Damaged Japanese Reactor Measured in Macrocystis pyrifera (ACS Publications)
Source: Environmental Science & Technology
Author: Steven L. Manley and Christopher G. Lowe, Department of Biological Sciences, California State University
Publication Date (Web): March 6, 2012

[...] Macrocystis is the keystone species supporting the kelp forest ecosystem, which is highly productive with complex community structure. Using a canopy density of 3.5 kg fresh weight m−2, the amount of 131I present in California kelp ranged from 0.3 to 1.3 kBq m−2 of canopy.11 Our estimate of the area covered by the Corona del Mar Macrocystis canopy was 33 000 m2 yielding a total of 40 MBq 131I sequestered into this kelp bed canopy. The total amount of 131I taken up by the canopy was most likely larger than that measured in the canopy tissue because iodine taken up by canopy blades is translocated throughout the kelp body as iodide. [...]

40MBq is 40 megabecquerels, or 40,000,000 Bq.

Here’s how ‘Scientific American’ reported the study’s findings in the article Radioactive Iodine from Fukushima Found in California Kelp:

The scientists estimated that the entire kelp tissue on the surface at Corona del Mar contained about one millicurie.

Published: March 30th, 2012 at 5:46 pm ET

1. AOL: “Just How Dangerous Is Radioactive Kelp?” — Scientists say nuclear waste in kelp beds off California coast is from Fukushima (VIDEO) February 4, 2014
  2. Southern California had 2,500 Bq/kg of iodine-131 in seaweed — Over 500% higher than other tests in U.S., Canada March 30, 2012
  3. Study: Fukushima radiation plume contacted North America at California ‘with greatest exposure in central and southern California’ March 29, 2012
  4. Professor: “Reports of radiation in kelp just north of California” — Signs of Fukushima contamination expected to start “really arriving strongly” this year January 21, 2014
  5. Study Author: California iodine-131 probably double or triple what we reported April 5, 2012

31 comments to 40,000,000 Bq of iodine-131 in a single bed of kelp off Southern California — Amount most likely larger

• Whoopie Whoopie

RT @kr3at California Slammed With Fukushima Radiation http://t.co/Y2zbsk02

• Whoopie Whoopie

helen caldicott ‏ @DrHCaldicott
    Terrible news but inevitable. Inquiry Into #Fukushima Plant Suggests Worse Damage: http://nyti.ms/HtwhWR

• jec jec

From the article: "the company has long feared that some of the tons of water it is using to cool the reactors is escaping into the ground or into the ocean at the seaside plant"….so exactly WHERE did TEPCO think all the many tons of water injected each day was going? Or has TEPCO created a new rule of physics??? Several options are possible such as:
      1. TEPCO Capturing the water and filtering –but no sign of that much volume in the TEPCO storage containers or areas!And that filtered water/filteres are so highly contaminated–how is that to be disposed of????
      2. Injected water is heated and "steaming" into the atmosphere..with resultant fallout traveling world wide
      3. Injected water into the reactors is escaping into the cracks in the ground, leaking from pipes , flowing over the ground or in streams flowing directly into the ocean-with resulting fallout/contamination moving world wide
      Willing to bet Options 2 and 3 are likely candidates..and probably BOTH at the same time.

• skizexq skizexq

I love the picture, maybe more RED CONES will stop it~!

• bigfatscaryman sdyogini

*damn*does anyone know of any MSM articles I can send my kids dad who insists on taking our small children to Hawaii? San Diego is bad enough but now this. I have been taking the measures for this whole year but dad is a super soldier and fully hypnotized to the point of retarded…

• Ras Bumboclat

Seattle is getting hot rain today. 200+ CPM on my Inspector alert, after a paper towel wipe down of my truck.

Never had a reading like that since I've owned it. Scary.

• Blown Camaro

It's only going to get worse. Think about how MOST of the nation's produce comes from California. Almost everyone will be eating radioactive fruit and vegetables.

• TraderGreg

The radiation is brought down mostly by the rain. California did have unusually dry year, although it is occasionally raining in March. That's why California may be OK but let's say rainy Chicago may be 'hot'. I would rather look at the jet stream patterns and where it is raining the most. California normally is perfectly dry during the summer – no rains.

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Government and news media is losing credibility with each passing day. Running themselves into the ground.

• The claim was that it would take as much as 2 years for the flotsam to arrive from Japan's tsunami. If so, is all that coming from the atmosphere? If so, we are royally screwed.

"Nuclear reactors at Japan's Fukushima may be more damaged, dangerous than thought"

This article made a back page in the world section TODAY. In the "Tacoma News tribune."

Articles are being put up all over the net at this time. With the content only varying slightly. I am under the impression, very disconcerting news in on the way regarding current events on site at fukushima.

This is quite the opposite of what we were seeing in lieu of transparency. I think tepco is officially declaring a global state of emergency. So users here might want to start preparing for hard times to come, here in the united states… (Were toast on the west coast).

I repeat. WE ARE TOAST ON THE WEST COAST.
    If you thought it all through, you would cry…

Look out for more articles such as this one on all the major news outlets:
    (its likely that they are all running a variation of these articles, which is an indication that tepco is positioning its self for a public relations / spill). A scape goat for responsibility to the end all, Apocalypse thats become of fukushima daiichi.)…

• irradiatedinbako

Please again consider linking this headline to the Los Angeles Times as a news tip or suggestion for follow up investigation.

I know I am repeating but I had success many years ago with the paper before. Or link to other MSM outlets you think would be receptive to followup.

LA Times form submission:

Can be completely anonymous and submitted by non Cali folks or not.

Thanks for considering this suggestion and peace.

Bako

• americancommntr

"Scientific Jackass" would be a more appropriate title for that glossy rag.

• Fred

Silly me. I thought I-131 had a half life of 8 days. After a couple of months I-131 decays awfully fast into Xe-131 which decays more.

So, silly me, I want to ask what sources of fast-decaying I-131 could be much CLOSER to the kelp bed? Aha! Oh, look! The Onofre NPP with all its defective steam generator tubes leaking the radioactive water and its load of elements into the steam turbines and cooling water is JUST DOWN THE STREET! Am I the only one who finds this coincidence interesting?? How long has Onofre been leaking before we found out about it? Months? YEARS? DECADES??

Sure is a long way from Corona Del Mar to Fukushima-Daichi, ain't it?
    Duhhhh…..

• Atomfritz Atomfritz

It took 25 comments until one noted this.
      USA nuclear criminals are probably very happy that all people seem to look at Fuku hypnotically and not at their neighborhood.

• Arizonan Arizonan

I think analysts can usually tell the origin of radionuclides by looking at certain 'ratio signatures.' Different fuels of different ages and origins and u235/mox ratio will have different spectographs. They should be able to analyze the kelp and tell how much of the I131 was from San Onofre and how much from Fukushima. They should report this. What are we paying taxes for, anyway?

Shut down San Onofre and Diablo Canyon permanently!!

• howardtlewisiii

Ras Bumboclat, once you have measured radioactivity of a standing water sample in Seattle after one hour, I would be very interested to know your result. It could differ considerably from shower to shower. About one week after Fukushima first went off, cattle from the rainy windward side of the big Island of Hawaii were giving milk 800-2400% of the maximum limit established by Dr. Linus Pauling and the U.S. government back in the 1950s. No information since. Government lies are flying thick. apeman2502@hotmail.com

• PhilipUpNorth philipupnorth

Been thinking about these numbers for days. Today is, 4/25/12. I realize this post on this old thread is dated, but if this info is true, all of California should be in the streets today protesting their deaths at the hands of the nuke industry.

My gut tells me that these numbers are just too high. So I won't trust them, until they have been independently verified. The source of the I-131 is also in question. If this radiation is from California, say from the San Onofre nuke Plants, which leak like a sieve, they may make sense. But I-131 has a half life of just 7 days. It takes, what?, about five days for winds from Japan to make their way across the Pacific to California? It would take seven days for the I-131 to settle onto the seabed, and several more days for the kelp to take up I-131 into the leaves. This would make the actual release of I-131, if it came from Fuku, absolutely astronomical! If the I-131 is indeed from Japan, this means that fision was still ongoing in the coriums beneath Fuku, at least in the days before the kelp samples were collected. So much for "cold shutdown"!

The US government bought up virtually all wholesale supplies of Iosat (I-131 thyroid blocker) tablets shortly after 311. The reason given at the time was for shipment to Japan. If the Iosat was shipped to Japan, then it was not available for west coast residents when the I-131 plumes came to the US. The US government issued no warnings for Fuku radiation. Still…