Published: October 30th, 2012 at 12:51 pm ET

The first 3 nuclear plants with problems reported are Oyster Creek, Indian Point, & Limerick

ABC, October 30, 2012:

• Salem Nuclear Power Plant on Delaware Bay in southern New Jersey, was manually shut down just after 1 a.m. Tuesday morning “when four of the station’s six circulating water pumps were no longer available due to weather impacts from Hurricane Sandy,” according to plant co-owner PSEG Nuclear.
  • At the Nine Mile Point plant near Oswego, New York, in what operators say “is likely a storm-related event,” unit 1 shut down automatically around 9 p.m. Monday because of an electrical fault, while unit 2 experienced a power loss from an incoming power line because of the same fault. An emergency diesel generator started automatically to supply power to unit 2.

Watch a TV broadcast from today of nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen discussing the problems experienced by nuclear plants on the East Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy here

Published: October 30th, 2012 at 12:51 pm ET

1. NRC: Spent fuel pool cooling lost at NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant during Hurricane Sandy November 2, 2012
  2. NRC: Alert still in effect at NJ nuclear plant — High water levels in Oyster Creek’s water intake structure remain October 30, 2012
  3. Newspaper: “Disturbing risks” have emerged at NJ’s Oyster Creek nuke plant after Sandy — Reactor may be decommissioned early November 16, 2012
  4. Sandy “appears to have shifted” islands near NJ’s Oyster Creek nuclear plant — Surge smashed through homes close by — Feds begin special inspection at facility November 13, 2012
  5. Nuclear Engineer: NJ’s Oyster Creek plant was two classification levels from a Fukushima event — People had to be brought in during Sandy to take command of emergency center… That actually happened (AUDIO) November 3, 2012

62 comments to Now 5 Nuke Plants with Problems from Sandy: New Jersey’s Salem reactor shuts down as water pumps “not available” — Trouble with both units at New York’s 9 Mile Point — Also Oyster Creek, Indian Point, Limerick

• jump-ball jump-ball

Is this how serious trouble starts?

• [a re-post]

From:
    May 12, 2012 at 1:07 am
    "A technology … have ONE BAD DAY, …and wipe you out." – Gundersen

Re: Risk Assessment (Relative Risk) "…in any fool proof system the fools are going to exceed the proofs." – Gundersen

Here's my risk/consequences assessment:
    It's NOT worth risking all (or any) life on the planet in order to boil water. EVER!

• Thanks to Admin, and all of the fearless commenters here who keep the information pipeline open.

• NukeisShit

I've been watching CNN international for quite a long time today, and no news whatsoever about the nuke plants were reported!
    What about the other america media? Is it a Japan style "press blackout" or just a councidence?

• jec jec

Maybe CNN figures with seven nillion people not needing electricity..the plants were turned off to save on costs??? (sarcasm)

• NukeisShit

They kept showing fallen trees and the other dramatic consequences of the hurricane. Nothing bad about it. It's such a catastrophic aftermath…but, since troubles at nuke plants are evolving right now, I wish I had some footage.
      So, perhaps they just dislike the topic (sarcasm again)…

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

There was absolutely NOTHING about Sandy on PBS or CBS tonight regarding Nuclear Power Plants even though they reported that "millions" were totally without power, . Their paternalistic attitude is preposterous. We must not need to bother our pretty little heads about it.

I don't send news tips anymore. It is obvious to me that the networks already know the truth and do not report it.

• jump-ball jump-ball

On the 5pm national Fox news tonight 5/30, Shepard Smith gave a 5 second (FIVE)/(V) reference to a Sandy-induced, site-not-mentioned, "nuclear plant alert", quickly segwayed to a NJ residential beachfront home damage report. No nuclear problems to report here, so you viewers, just move it on out.

China CCTV News in the same hour gave 30 minutes of video coverage of NYC flooding of car, business, apartment, tunnel and subway damage, none of such having been shown on u.s. network tv.

Serious problems such as Salem and Oyster nuclear plant cooling failure and radioactive gas emissions, NYC store lootings, and related Sandy sequelae, apparently judged unfit to print, or broadcast, by our corporatized and controlled media.

• richard richard

i was noticing that myself. All kinds of disasters going on, but let's not mention the NUCLEAR power plants in any way. The media is so owned by the nuke industry.

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

Just sent CNN a "news tip" about the nuke problems, as if they don't know already. Maybe you want to send them one too…

• amberlight amberlight

Good suggestion, enoughalready. Sent them a rather sarcastic "tip" but I don't expect anything to change. The MSM pushes the agenda of their corporate masters, not us lowly peons. We're the ones they have to keep ever fearful but ever assured that our overlords will protect us from the bogeyman as long as we do not commit the sin of thinking and acting for ourselves.

Again, thanks to ENENews for your tireless reporting.

• Gnyf

Hey enoughalready45.
      I send CNN a simular news tip.
      I wrote to them that I don't blame them for not wanting to go anywhere near the plant's. No one in their right mind would.
      I suggested them to pass on the information they find here on Enenews (Hehe).
      Of course nothing will be said in the mainstream media. They are owned by the nuclear industri, and if they report anything, it will only be lies anyway.
      Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. Remember, flooded pumps lead to the Fukushima catastrophe, not the earthquake.
      Stay safe over there.
      Kind regards from Denmark.

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

@Gnyf

I'm part Danish, nice to meet you. Not sure where the relatives came from over there, still trying to track it down, Grandmother's baptisim papers are in Danish and half the popululation of Denmark seems to have some form of the last name "Nelson, Nielsen etc..". Also found out Kevin Blanch on YouTube is of Danish heritage, are you familiar with him? Very anti-nuclear. Thanks everyone for letting me indulge some cultural heritage. :)
        Now back to kickin' some nuclear …

• amberlight amberlight

Hi, Gnyf & enoughalready45 ~ If the admin will let me add one more off-topic comment…

Although I am not Danish my family on my maternal grandmother's side goes 'way back before the Europeans landed in what was to eventually be the Danish West Indies until purchased by the USA. My mother knew lots of Danes, a few of whom I've met. The architecture on St. Croix bears the influence of Danish design (old, not Danish modern).

The island is marred by a big oil refinery, but to my knowledge there is no nuclear facility on any of the US Virgin Islands and pray to heaven none are planned. There! Back on topic!

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

Excellent share regarding the CNN newstip. I sent them an email asking what the status is on the plants – saying it must be something bad if they are NOT reporting anything at all. (Reverse-psychology-maybe?).

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

Simply Info updated their article on Oyster Creek:

[excerpt]
    Update: Reuters reported last night that 7 feet was the height of the service water pump needed to cool the spent fuel pool.
    “However, a further rise to 7 feet could submerge the service water pump motor that is used to cool the water in the spent fuel pool”

Reuters quoted the NRC this morning that water peaked at 7.4 feet. They have moved in a temporary pump but the NRC claimed they have not needed to use this. The vague statement does not clarify if the service water system continues to operate or if they have shut it off and are going to use the temporary pump to restart cooling if the pool reaches an increased temperature level.
    “On Tuesday, an NRC spokesman said the levels reached a peak of 7.4 feet — apparently above the threshold. As of 6:10 a.m. EDT waters were at 6.5 feet, with the next high tide at 11:45 a.m. He said the company had moved a portable pump to the water intake structure as a precaution, but has not needed to use it.”

• Mack Mack

Channel surfing, and about 10 mins. ago Megan Kelly of FOX News said there are 2 nuclear plants shut down and "serious safety concerns." Went to commercial and so far nothing else said, but on the bottom "ticker" it mentioned Oyster Creek.

• Mack Mack

Is this what "they" really mean?? —->

>>> "There's no imminent threat of releases"

Really means? —>

We already released a bunch of radiation in the air and water just before this press release

>>> "Everything is safe"

Really means? —>

Run, fly to South America, and if you can't, then close your windows and shelter-in-place

>>> "The Radiation released was less than you get from eating a banana"

Really means? —>

Prepare to grow a third eye or watch out for Cancer

>>> "There's no danger at this time"

Really means? —>

There's danger all the time

>>> "Nuclear power plants are prepared for all disasters"

Really means? —>

Unless we have to spend $$ on preparations. In that case, we'll hedge our bets and do nothing.

>>> "The NRC said"

Really means? —>

Here comes a lie

>>> "Shut down safely"

Really means? —>

But first, Tritium, Krypton, etc. were dumped into the air

???

• amberlight amberlight

Your glossary of nuclear industry idioms should be included in every high school science textbook, Mack.

Students of journalism also need to learn them. Oh, wait… they already have them memorized.

• patb2009

No Imminent threat of release means

"We have a big ass spill, but it's currently inside the CV and Torus, and we have at least 8 hours before we have to vent".

"There is no threat at this time"
      Means while you are unlikely to drop dead within 10 minutes, I would buy group universal life insurance now because we took 10 years off your life.

"Nuclear power plants are prepared for all emergencies"
      means we have a well stocked science fiction section in the local library and once a year do a planned fire drill, much like you did in third grade. THere is also a book of manuals we once read in school, 8 years ago, we probably can find them if we figure out we are having an accident, but, we are usally 2-8 hours behind the reactor during a serious crisis.

"Shut down safely" means
      "Management is screaming at us to start turning Amps again, immediately, Screw the problems, screw the Xenon trap, Screw the 2 feet of water in the switch yard, stop spending money and start making money, you POS workers.

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

Michio Kaku on CNN with Anderson Cooper just now. Anderson is asking him about why the storm was so powerful. Too bad he didn't ask him about the nuclear plants and the potential hazard they present. Thumbs down Anderson Cooper and CNN.

• jump-ball jump-ball

We could have grid loss, generator failure, pump loss, cooling loss, and explosive gas release – our own Nukushima right here – and our broadcast networks would manage to ignore it while hyping some other non-event. It's what they do best.

• jec jec

Since Anderson Cooper 360 was nearby..if he loses his hair..(scarcasm)

• Sickputer

Coop and sidekick doc Sanjay both got a big dose of plutonium when the huge MOX cloud from the supersonic Unit 3 explosion hit Tokyo March 14-15, 2011.

That news was suppressed for nearly a year by the Japanese government. But Dr. Gupta reported the radiation air levels had quadrupled and soon afterward he and Andy flew the coop back to America. Probably right through the huge Krypton-85 plume.

Welcome to the waiting game guys…which tiny plutonium particle in your lungs is slowly blowing your DNA apart?

• kalidances

@Jump-ball you'd better ask Nuck if you can copyright that name :) It's about to be Nukushima all over this planet. We didn't fix the nuclear reactors or shut them down in time. Our taxes were being spent on wars and cushy lifestyles for out politicians. If the crap flies they can all hop on planes to Aruba.

Now all everyone has to do is wait for the winter freeze to shut off the power.

• wilderest

Le Figaro the French newspaper is reporting the problems at Indian Point and Salem. France is exposed to nuclear so it is slightly encouraging that they are at least prepared to acknowledge problems unlike the American MSM

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

That caps it! They can discuss the problem around the world, but not in our own country. Notice how assiduously BO has avoided any mention of nuclear power plants.

Also notice how confidently the MSM assumes the voters only recognize two parties….

• kalidances

@enoughalready45 amberlight appears our resident philosophical secretly-pro-nuke troll. I have yet to see him offer any helpful info or links but maybe some will come soon.

• amberlight amberlight

How dare you?! This is the 2nd time I have had to report your comment. I don't know what the hell I said to make you breathe such poison against me (3 comments now), but I am as fed up with the personal attacks as I am confused by them. And so far I have yet to see a single helpful comment from YOU! I challenge you to present proof that I am a pro-nuke troll.

In other comments you taunted me to go to the eye of the hurricane and report back. ??? I have a brother, cousins and friends in that mess, but they are not reachable yet.

When I joined this message board I thought the conversation would be more civilized than some others I've seen—and so it is, for the most part—but you have made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable. I feel as if I am being stalked!

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

amberlight, I live in PA and you can also contact Red Cross, Chelsea gave me the web add. if you're interested let me know.

• kalidances

I am very aware of what you are doing. Very recently there was a faux nuke post that caused a lot of confusion. Since that time I check periodically to see what people are doing to help people concerning nuclear power and Fukushima.

That is what this site is about.

So again since you are making public posts you are up for scrutiny about nuclear issues.

Now…back to business.

Japan has zero remorse about nuclear power and so does America.

Hitachi to buy British nuclear power company
        Japanese firm Hitachi says it will buy a British power company to strengthen its overseas nuclear plant business.

"Hitachi said on Tuesday that it will purchase all shares of Horizon Nuclear Power next month from 2 German power companies for 670 million British pounds, or just over one billion dollars.

Horizon is set to build up to 6 nuclear reactors at 2 locations in Britain. But its German parent companies have been looking to sell the company's shares amid rising opposition to nuclear plants in Germany."

Today's NRC post

• amberlight amberlight

"I am very aware of what you are doing"

Oh, that makes me feel much better. Maybe you'd better change your handle from kalidances to Stalker.

"…since you are making public posts you are up for scrutiny about nuclear issues."

And who appointed YOU the gatekeeper?

There was absolutely nothing in your offensive posts to indicate that you were just making sure I was genuine. In fact, the first two were simply taunts. The last was an accusation against me, but addressed to enoughalready45.

You are divisive, rude and abusive, that's all, and don't try to act innocent by ending your weak simplification of the issue by tossing off a few nuclear-related facts!

• Mack Mack

@amberlight – Your posts are appreciated, and I hope you'll continue posting. Take care.

• amberlight amberlight

Thank you, Mack. I appreciate the support. As a grandmother I am very concerned about the future of my grandchildren and indeed all children, so it hurts when I get accused of being a troll. I shouldn't let people push my buttons, but I guess I'm just on edge. ENE News has been my go-to site for nuclear news since I discovered it.

• Cataclysmic Cataclysmic

amberlight, ignore the troll like being :) It occurs she reposts things to get credit for them, without giving credit where it is due, for example she has been reposting the Hitachi buy article that I posted via enformable, Lucas, this morning, she goes to the source article and then posts that so she occurs to be with it, when all she did was nothing, and is attention seeking at best..

It also occurs that those that accuse just might be guilty of what they are accusing.

This site did not used to be like this. We had plenty of heated debate, but not this type of personal attack. Remember the fuel pool boys I mean men? Kevin and ?? Those two would duke it out, with information and points of view, and look at this, but you missed that.. and so on, I learned a tremendous amount via their spirited debate and discourse.

I don't come here as often due to this way of being…I think this type of interaction is what got us here and keeps us from any real solution.. in fighting is unproductive.

• Anthony Anthony

For what its worth I reported them as well earlier for what I saw was bullying you, unprovoked. They pulled the same shit with me a month ago. Hiding behind your reasons of being angry is not good enough. We are all angry but most of us don't randomly and intentionally attack others. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

• Radio VicFromOregon

“…when four of the station’s six circulating water pumps were no longer available due to weather impacts from Hurricane Sandy,” according to plant co-owner PSEG Nuclear".
    Might that read they quit working because they ARE NOT submersible pumps?

• jackassrig

The condenser separates the high pressure side of the reactor from the low pressure side of the cooling water. When the plant shuts down a reactor the fission doesn't stop immediately. So, the reactor keeps generating steam. As long as the plant can run the circulators to cool the condensor-condensing steam from the reactor-all is fine. What happens when the plant looses their circulators? The steam doesn't get condensed. A pound of water makes a whole lot of steam. The fission goes on making more and more steam. Eventually the plant starts to vent to save the reactor. When they admit to loosing the circulators, the venting will soon start. The main circulators are enormous pumps. They are not going to rent sump pump and move the volume of water required.

• kongrufus kongrufus

5 plants… That's bad!

Another Dane here, nice to see i am not alone about this interest in my own country :-) Long time ENE reader, occasional rare commentator.

that one plant might be in trouble was mentioned tuesday on our national round-the-clock news outlet, the DR Update. Nothing more was mentioned though, and now it's up to 5 plants…

Maybe a year from now there will be a new INES level again: Multiple reactors AND multiple sites.
    Wonder if that will be the final deathblow to humanity or if it will merely speed things already started at fuku daichii up a bit..

• CBuck CBuck

The headline to this page includes the Limerick Nuke plant. Does anyone know where I can get info on this? I've been looking for a few hours now and can't find anything. I have some dear loved ones that live just miles away from there, so I'm trying to find all the information I can.
    I'm not sure why I bother though, the adults of this group of loved one's think I'm a bit off my rocker because I'm concerned at all and have been warning them about potential problems there for months. :(

• davidh7426 davidh7426

Maybe TPTB expect the worst of any radiation / contamination to get blown out to sea, that way it will be somebody else's problem and NOT theirs.

I live in the UK, and personally, I can't wait to 'GLOW IN THE DARK', just think of all the money I'll save in electricity bills :S

• davidh7426 davidh7426

It's 'Russian Roulette' with 5 nuclear bullets, and 7 billion+ contestants, and we're all entered into the game whether we like it or not.