ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), 12:05 a ET: A major magnitude 7.2 earthquake has struck off northern Japan, but no tsunami warning has been issued. [...] The quake rocked towns in the northernmost Japanese prefecture of Hokkaido. Buildings in Tokyo also shook from the quake. On Wednesday, a series of earthquakes, including one with a preliminary magnitude of 6.2, hit Japan’s Miyake island, about 180km south of Tokyo.
Reuters, 11:21p ET (h/t Anonymous tip): An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 struck off northern Japan on Friday, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said. [...]
Published: April 19th, 2013 at 12:16 am ET
- AFP: Quake rocks Fukushima, shaking felt in Tokyo — WSJ: Strong quake with a magnitude 5.8 struck prefecture Friday September 19, 2013
- Gov’t warns of impending quake shortly before M6.9 hit northern Japan — “Make yourself safe, turn off the gas…” February 2, 2013
- M7.3 earthquake strikes Northeast Japan — Japan TV warned of strong quake minutes before it hit — Several M5 and M6 follow (VIDEO) December 7, 2012
- UPI: Quake rocks northeast Japan — Intensity 5- out of 7 on seismic scale — Mainichi: M5.4 quake jolts eastern Japan — Near Fukushima border, buildings rocked in Tokyo (MAP) December 30, 2013
- Asahi: Expert says Japan should be prepared for possibility of M10 quake — “Days of tsunamis” — Only 1 magnitude below asteroid strike (VIDEO) November 23, 2012