Kyodo: An additional 24 researchers were exposed to an exotic soup of radioactive isotopes at the Hadron Experimental Facility in Tokai, Ibaraki Prefecture, last week, raising the tally to 30, the state-run Japan Atomic Energy Agency said late Sunday. [...] The radioactive substances reportedly included sodium, iodine and more exotic elements. [...] The JAEA said Saturday it initially thought the leak was minor and had been confined to the laboratory when the alarm went off. Workers then switched on the ventilation system, sending the radioactive contaminants outside the building. [...]
Japan Times: Officials from the Ibaraki Prefectural Government raided the complex Saturday afternoon to investigate the delay in reporting the incident. [...] The level of radioactive contamination at the facility stands at as much as 40 becquerels per square centimeter, it said.
AP: An atomic research lab in northern Japan has reported a radiation leak that may have affected about 55 people, though none were hospitalized and no impact was expected outside the facility, the lab’s operator said Saturday. [...] The JAEA said it was studying the potential environmental impact from the radiation leak, but did not expect any effect on surrounding areas.
See also: INES level 1 event at Tokai nuclear plant after March 11 quake -- Cobalt-60 detected outside of radiation control area -- Safety inspectors rushed to site (PHOTOS)
Published: May 26th, 2013 at 8:09 pm ET
- Yomiuri: 69% of people surveyed across Japan “expressed concern about the impact of radioactive material on their health or that of their families” March 4, 2013
- New radioactive leak reported at Fukushima on Sunday — Previous leak admitted to be “far more toxic” than public told — Over 80 trillion becquerels flowed into Pacific, unspecified amount of “nuclear fuel material” — Already rated an INES ‘Level 3′ incident using the much lower incorrect figures April 13, 2014
- New highly radioactive leak from pipe at Fukushima plant — Expert: Nuclear material may be flowing from “damaged pipes or drains” into Pacific April 11, 2013
- Officials reveal about 2 Trillion becquerels of Fukushima radioactive material flowed into ocean every month during 2013 — “Deadly strontium” releases now more than double cesium — “Strontium gets into your bones… it changes the equation” (VIDEO) August 29, 2014
- Report: Over 30 million permanently affected by Fukushima radiation; Number of people exposed triples Chernobyl — Japan Professor: 14,000 sq. kilometers heavily contaminated; Millions including kids and infants are exposed everyday after being abandoned by gov’t, it is very bizarre (AUDIO) March 14, 2015