Title: Japan nuclear watchdog to beef up Fukushima monitoring
Date: July 30, 2013
Japan’s nuclear watchdog will beef up monitoring at the crippled Fukushima power plant, an agency official said Tuesday, after leaks of radioactive groundwater into the ocean sparked heavy criticism of the site’s operator.
The leaks have triggered alarm bells over the plant’s precarious state and the capability of Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) to deal with a long list of problems [...]
The Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) plans to pull together two dedicated teams to investigate water contamination and its impact on the ocean’s ecosystem, according to the the official.
“We still don’t know the root cause of the problems as they are more complicated than initially thought,” the NRA official said.
A formal announcement on the new teams, expected to be comprised of experts from the regulator, TEPCO and a government-back research institute, is expected on Wednesday. [...]
See also: Radio: Fukushima Daiichi has "contaminated the biggest body of water on the planet" -- Radioactive leaks to harm marine and human life -- Whole Pacific Ocean likely to have cesium levels 5-10 times higher than at peak of nuclear bomb tests (AUDIO)
Published: July 30th, 2013 at 12:30 pm ET
- AP: Tepco admits radioactive water is flowing into Pacific from Fukushima plant — AFP: Experts warn of effects on humans; “Fears of ocean contamination” July 22, 2013
- Japan Professors: Worst case scenario at Fukushima, nuclear rods melted and went through reactor floors; Contamination is impacting rest of world; Likely that entire Pacific will be affected — Farmer: Gov’t doesn’t have any idea about status of fuel (VIDEO) October 13, 2013
- Former Japan Official: “Unstoppable contamination of Pacific Ocean… is seriously menacing US West Coast” — “Fukushima now undeniably a global security issue… can’t be brought under control by single state” — Experts: Wave of radiation will be 10 times more than entire world’s nuclear tests combined December 2, 2015
- “Growing sense of crisis” at Fukushima — Tepco “very concerned” about high levels of contamination in groundwater thought to be clean — Was to be pumped into ocean as part of bypass plan (VIDEO) September 7, 2013
- Censored Japan gov’t scientist reveals much more radioactive material is leaking into Pacific from Fukushima than claimed by Tepco — It’s getting released outside of port’s barrier, directly into ocean — Officials refused to allow publication of study on sea contamination (PHOTO) September 27, 2013