AFP, September 10, 2013: [...] TEPCO’s own estimates suggest the full decommissioning of the site could take up to four decades and that much of the trickier work is yet to be done — notably the removal of reactor cores that have probably melted beyond recognition. According to the utility’s own plan, these reactor cores — which are feared to have seeped into the containment vessels and possibly even eaten through thick concrete — will be removed around summer 2020, just as thousands of athletes descend on Tokyo. [...] In an editorial published Tuesday, the left-leaning Asahi Shimbun said the fact of Shinzo Abe’s having stood on an international stage and promised to resolve the Fukushima crisis was a welcome move. “This is an official pledge made to the world,” it said. “Abe must take action so that he won’t be seen at home and abroad to have just stretched the truth to bring the Olympic Games to Tokyo. His ability to address this issue is now being watched.”
Japan Times, Sept. 9, 2013: [...] the world will be closely watching how Japan confronts the catastrophe at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, where three melted reactor cores and dangerous spent-fuel pools continue to pose a menace and highly radioactive water is accumulating daily, with some 300 tons of it flowing into the Pacific each day.
Published: September 10th, 2013 at 1:46 pm ET
- Japanese Nuclear Expert: Melted reactor cores not in one piece at Fukushima, as gov’t claims — I think nuclear fuel scattered everywhere, stuck to walls — Chernobyl-like sarcophagus may be needed — Nothing has been done, by time they deal with this I’ll be long dead June 12, 2014
- AFP: Fears that molten fuel went into ground after melting through containment vessels at Fukushima — They still can’t find three reactor cores (AUDIO) January 23, 2014
- Japan TV ‘News Flash’: Officials fear melted reactor fuel is now exposed at Fukushima — Tepco: We don’t know at this point if fuel is uncovered — Large drop in water level — Experts ‘struggling’ to find condition of nuclear cores, nothing is known for all 3 reactors (VIDEO) June 10, 2014
- Kyodo: Melted fuel from Fukushima Reactor 3 “is the highly lethal mixed uranium-plutonium oxide (MOX)” — Unit to be last to attempt fuel removal says new plan June 27, 2013
- Tepco Adviser: 925 quadrillion Bq of contaminated water from trying to cool melted Fukushima cores in first few months after 3/11 — TV: “Tepco has no idea where the fuel is” (VIDEO) November 23, 2013