Published: December 25th, 2012 at 11:53 am ET

Title: Fukushima children getting fat due to lack of outdoor activities
Source: Kyodo
Date: Dec. 25, 2012

Children in nuclear disaster-hit Fukushima Prefecture are getting fatter due to a lack of outdoor exercise over fears of radiation exposure, the government said Tuesday in its school health report.

The preliminary report, released by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, showed an increase in the share of children from kindergarten to senior high school level, who weighed 20 percent more than the standard accorded to their height.

In Fukushima, 449 schools, or 56 percent of public schools, restricted outdoor activities during school time as of June last year due to concerns over radiation released from the Fukushima Daiichi complex. Such restrictions were still maintained at 71 elementary and junior high schools as of September this year, according to the prefectural education board. [...]

Title: Play until you cry
Source: documenting ian, blog (Ian Thomas Ash)
Date: December 20, 2012

[...] I visited “Smile Park in Fukushima“, a traveling event created by the Japanese Red Cross Society [...]

Even though many schools and playgrounds have been “decontaminated”, the surrounding mountains and land have not. Parents are worried about their children playing outside as it has already been documented that because of wind, rain and other factors, the radiation levels in areas that had been previously deemed “decontaminated” are already beginning to rise again.

Ms. Tomita allowed me to run, jump and play on the equipment with the children and it was a beautiful, fun and rare time when I was able to forget, just for a moment, why I was there and why this event had been created.

I stepped back to take a long shot of the entire event, the sound of hundreds of children laughing echoing through the hall. Suddenly, I was overcome with emotion and began to sob. At first I couldn’t understand why I was crying and had to excuse myself to go outside and recover.

I almost never cry during interviews; during interviews I am usually too much in shock (is that the right word?) to allow myself to “feel” what is happening. It is when I am editing that the emotions come flooding out; it is when I am editing and I must watch over and over painful, sad, scary moments that the tears tend to flow.

When I returned to the hall, I apologized to Ms. Tomita for my emotion. I explained to her that it had just suddenly hit me why the event existed: these children cannot play outside, cannot live their lives as children normally do, and with that realization I had been unable to stop my tears (just thinking about it now as I write this I am crying). Ms. Tomita leaned in close to me and whispered, “it happens to a lot of people who come here”.

See also: Mother: Child with severe nose bleeds, full body rash after playing in Fukushima contaminated water -- So much blood, thought head was cut open -- Fingers covered in open sores

Published: December 25th, 2012 at 11:53 am ET

1. US Paper: Fukushima kids playing above nuclear waste — Public parks are now unmarked radioactive dumps November 5, 2012
  2. Nursery schools taking field trips so kids can play in areas with less radioactivity — 800% higher radiation dose at school October 6, 2011
  3. Decontamination during recess — Children play next to adults shoveling radioactive dirt (VIDEO) January 24, 2013
  4. Fukushima disaster manga in Japan — ‘The Nuclear Man’ by DC Comics in U.S. — Kids play with reactor toy set (PHOTOS) January 29, 2013
  5. Watch: Kids run marathon on street with radioactivity of 134,000 Bq/m2 — “Children of Fukushima will be killed by the gov’t… Someone please help” (VIDEO) October 8, 2012

15 comments to Kyodo: Radiation fears keep Fukushima kids inside — Filmmaker: Adults break down in tears when seeing children forced to play at indoor ‘smile parks’… “Suddenly, I was overcome with emotion and began to sob”

• VanneV anne

Thyroid disease from radiation poisoning causes everyone to get fatter.

• When I read sentences like this it seem like parts are missing.

Example:
    (original sentence)
    "In the accident of March last year, an earthquake-triggered tsunami smashed into the Fukushima nuclear plant, sparking meltdowns and explosions."
    – from the last paragraph first article

(IMO, it should read more like…)
    "In the [worst catastrophe in history], of March last year, an earthquake-triggered tsunami smashed into the Fukushima nuclear plant, sparking meltdowns and explosions [that continue with unabated releases of radioactivity into the atmosphere and sea with no end in sight.]"

Why does my brain always have to fill in the blanks?

At least they said 'meltdowns' and 'explosions'. That's probably more than would have been uttered a year ago.

• Sickputer

Good point. I also think that the emphasis on the tsunami is overblown. Yes the diesel generators and switchworks were destroyed. But even if there had been no wave at all, how would they have opened the reactor covers to cool the fissile fuel? The water pipeworks and electrical panels were destroyed by the earthquake and fuel assembly cranes were inoperable because of earthquake damage. Meltdown and explosions were inevitable regardless of the big wave.

• Tumrgrwer Tumrgrwer

"and no one kills the children anymore." (Roger Waters)

• This article explains exactly what the tragedy is all about.

Nice post.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Merry Christmas Enenewsers I hope everyone is having a good day, no worries take good care. http://youtu.be/NWI-EoTfu20

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Check Tokyo …and everywhere, radiation travels thousands of miles.

• Very apt comments from all of you speaking of the unspeakable experiences at Fukushima. Why was Fukushima allowed? Why are you still awaiting another Fukulike tragedy?
    Check out an astonishing revelation about the nature of nuclear power at:

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

The "other" Fukushima & works that keep on giving… http://ajw.asahi.com/appendix/feature/Kikujiro_Special.html Merry Christmas & Best Wishes ENEwser's. My wife took ill today while I was preparing Christmas dinner so I might not be out here ranting & raving for awhile so I'm gonna wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! now in case I don't get the chance…Take Care ALL & Good Night! :)

• PurpleRain

A few extra pounds should be the least of their worries. If it were my children, first, I wouldn't be there, 2nd, I'd be glad they could still eat at all although I would NOT trust the food either! EVACUATE!!!!

• m a x l i

When the time comes, that it can not longer be hidden or denied, that an unusually high number of children in Fukushima prefecture are getting sick, again radiation will not have caused it, but the nucleocrats will blame the fact that the kids are overweight and thus attach blame to 'hysterical' parents and teachers.

Wait and see!

• eatliesndie eatliesndie

"Children in nuclear disaster-hit Fukushima Prefecture are getting fatter" ….emotionally, putting on fat = (among other things) protection, Buffer from the outside, fear, Looking for comfort/pleasure…
    and like maxli says, it serves the nucleocrats in giving them a place to lay the blame for other ailments.
    I guess the people of Fukushima prefecture have only a small voice with regard to who the ruling political party in Japan is. Doesn't seem like the average person there would vote for a right wing conservative, pro nuke PM. Or maybe they would.
    Gotta love democracy…

• We Not They Finally

Something rarely mentioned is that DIABETES causes people to get fatter! And that as of July, 2012, it was estimated that 60% of children in the area already HAD diabetes from the radiation. (Radiation causes ALOT of bad things, not just cancer.) By now, the children's diabetes rate is undoubtedly even higher. But DON'T put this on lack of exercise — this is massive untreated medical illness caused by radiation, and the criminality of not treating it. It just leaves one wondering: The Germans seemed to learn ALOT from their carnage. They seem to have built a fairly progressive humane society in its wake. But the Japanese? Apparently, they learned nothing.