Published: August 31st, 2011 at 11:43 am ET

Fukushima day care center hot spots, Kyodo, August 31, 2011:

On the ground of the yard at one day care center, the radiation was as high as 0.9 microsieverts per hour, or nearly 8 millisieverts per year, while the reading below its roof reached 7.1 microsieverts, according to the environmental group’s findings earlier this month, Greenpeace said Monday.

A maximum reading at the high school was 7.9 microsieverts per hour [...]

Published: August 31st, 2011 at 11:43 am ET

1. Five more reports of high radiation levels in Tokyo’s Adachi ward — Over 20 millisieverts per year at school, above evacuation level October 18, 2011
  2. Officials: 179 microsieverts per hour at elementary school — Hot spots at bus stop, main gate, schoolyard, pool, gym September 20, 2012
  3. Parts of school playground declared off-limits after .25 microsieverts/hr detected 200 km SE of Fukushima — Children and staff must wear hats and gargle regularly June 23, 2011
  4. ‘Daiichi’ Elementary: 4 million Bq/m² of cesium in soil sample from school in Chiba, 20 km from Tokyo — 10.1 µSv/hr at another elementary school nearby October 26, 2011
  5. Kyodo: High levels of radioactive cesium detected in Yokohama south of Tokyo — 6.85 microSv/h close to elementary school February 4, 2012

31 comments to *After Cleanup* High school: 7.9 microsieverts/hour — Day care center: 7.1 microsieverts/hour

• americancommntr

Doesn’t that compute to 6% of the students will get cancer from spending 8 hours a day there over the course of a year?

• Fukushima day care center hot spots

KYODO Two day care centers and a high school building in Fukushima Prefecture remain contaminated with high levels of radioactive matter even after they underwent cleanup work, Greenpeace Japan said.

• StillJill StillJill

You know, it occurs to me that even the old ‘how many will get cancer’ numbers are now flawed, yes? Have ‘we’ ever had this much assault on our immune systems? Can ‘we’ really parrot, ‘years before you’ll maybe get cancer’? No.

So, 6% of students? Maybe with the old ‘variables’. Those died with Fukushima!

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Gee, hmmm, let’s see. 7 mSv/hr, not even the full amount, would be how many mSv/yr? I think that’s about 61 Sv/yr. This is not just dangerous but lethal well before the year is out and this is after “cleaning” whatever the hell that now fully jingoistic term means.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Oops, seriously, my bad, that’s only 61 mSv/yr. Cornfusing stuff. Anyway, I think that’s still more than the average acceptable level for a nuke plant worker in the U.S. per year (50 mSv/yr), if I’m not mistaken. Are children who are 30x, conservatively, more susceptible to radiation good to expose to such high levels of radiation? Oh, yeah, for a child the 7 mcSv/hr would really be equivalent to about 1.8 full Sv/yr., not milli, but full Sv/yr. due to the increased vulnerability factor for children. How many months before the young children here at this “cleaned” site start to have epidemics of preventable radiation contamination related maladies and pathologies? There are other monstrous problems that will ensue, there is no if here, as well. We adults did, prior to the wacky Reagan-to-present fascist/materialistic times, managed to get it together, here in the U.S., to worry about children’s exposure to lead, where children are also much more vulnerable than adults toxicologically. I’m pretty sure the neurological and intellectual consequences are at least as bad for these extreme levels of radiation in a DAILY childhood environment. Don’t such high levels of radiation exposure, over long periods of time, cause breakdown of human neurology? What of the psychological effects. The uniformity so prized in the somewhat closed and insular culture of Japan would surely be shattered by the consequences of children so contaminated.

• theypoisonus

Pallus,

you said “Cornfusing stuff.”

May I comment and say it it intentional.

The Nuclear/ Oil/ any dangerous Industrial complex, uses said ‘scientific’ jargon for a reason. It is to confuse. They are all complicit the way I see it.

xdrfoc and I had a conversation on discussion board about the BP horror.. he showed me a couple of articles that ran under my radar as I was recovering from my own illness, and was only online periodically , for long periods of time. I missed alot of info.

People do not have the time to sort through this, decifer it, ( if they have the smarts, and I do not ) come to a conclusion of what is safe for them and their children.

It is like learning a new language.. and you are dislexic to me !! It is purposful, if there is such a word, and pursued by nefarious industries and the Military Industrial Complex and the govt. under their reign to confuse and thus allow for a margin of trust.

• Misitu

7/1000 * 24 * 365 = 61.32

Pallas89juno you got it right first time I think.

• Misitu

No, right second time, the headline says micro not milli

61.32 milliSv/year

General headsup, m is the conventional prefix for milli and greek letter mu abbreviated u in the latin alphabet is for micro.

Sorry for duplicating the mistake without (ulp) reading all the instructions :-(

• StillJill StillJill

Not if they euthanize them,…”Outta sight,….DIDN’T HAPPEN”,..Oh, Oops, “I mean, Outta of sight, out of mind”!

• [2 years old child in Tokyo has internal exposure]

@sid69nancy
    mameko
    世田谷区在住2歳娘の尿検査。先日話題になった千葉県のお子さんと同じ所で計測。結果 ヨウ素不検出、セシウム134 0.48Bq/kg セシウム137 0.52Bq/kg 。グラフにK40という核種も検出され数値は50KeVを超えています。@komatsunotsuma

@sid69nancy
    mameko
    4月〜GWまでの間に3回に分けて福岡に合計2ヶ月ほど疎開しましたが、この結果。

家では水はヴォルビック、食べ物は肉魚は九州または海外産、野菜は西日本または海外産。

Unfortunately,they detected cesium even from the urine of a two years old girl in Setagaya Tokyo.

Her parents were very careful about radiation control. They took her to Fukuoka,where is west Japan for three times between April to the beginning of May.They stayed in Fukuoka for two months in total.

They drank imported water,had fish/meat from Kyushu or overseas,veges from western Japan or overseas.

The girl had urinary test.

Result;
    Cesium 134 = 0.48 Bq/kg
    Cesium 137 = 0.52 Bq/kg

Needless to say,little children are way more sensitive to radiation than adults.
    Pray for her future.

• alasanon

Wow, it’s very hard to hide from that disaster!! Poor child! They need to be shipped out, like they did for the children in Britain during Nazi bombing…

• Blown Camaro

Everytime I see the children of Japan I get choked up. What can we do to help them? Throwing money at this problem with do absolutely nothing! Maybe I should see about having a family move in with me. I have the room. Can they immigrate with much hassle?

• theypoisonus

There is an organization. I do not have the link, rdxfox , I believe has, he has a great system for saving stuff.

You can ‘adopt’ a family or parts of a family that want out.

Ask him… or someone else will post if for you.
        I also have the room. My husband works away from home 99% of the time, I see him on holidays for a couple / 3 days.

We have a 3 bedroom, 2000 sq.ft. house.. and I would love to have the company. I have to approach him on this matter as he is the ‘bread winner’.. have no idea his response.

He knows about this disaster, but as far as ‘adopting’ a family, that is a serious decision. Unfortunately.

• Tepco admitted that there were 94 errors in their historical announcement about the radiation level of inside of the plant and around the plant.
    The worst “mistake” was the radiation level of the soil under sea. They published it was only 1.5 Bq/kg but it was actually 1,200 Bq/kg. (1/800)

• theypoisonus

Gosh, just a little bit ‘off’ weren’t they?

I wish all the TEMPCO execs a life of radiation sickness that never ends, it just lasts and lasts and they are skeletons with skin wrapped over their bones and are in horrid pain. :)

• arclight arclight

grrrrrrrrrr
    repost but relevant
    7.1 microsieverts/hour a joke

“Tuesday, August 30, 2011
    #Radiation in Japan: Something’s Rotten in Yokohama City

“While the City fed kindergarteners and school children with domestic beef contaminated with radioactive cesium despite protests from the concerned parents, the cafeteria at Yokohama City Hall for the city employees and guests were serving beef imported from Australia.
    6 elementary schools served radioactive beef 5 times, and 22 schools served it 4 times.”

• matina matina

The majority of Japanese people seem to be passive when it comes to defending their and their childrens life. Lets not forgett that they live in a Democracy, are very well educated and are one of the most advanced societies with the most expensive squere metre price of real estate in the world. Most are tech gurus and have access to the internet. I find it harder and harder defending their inactivity after 6 months. They seem to be very energetic and active when it comes to exporting their radiation by burning up their rubbish and poluting the ocean for their neigbhors. It seems sometimes that people at ENENEWS care more then the Japanese themselves.

• matina matina

HELLO JAPAN F*&%$^& WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    we cant do everything for you
    i wish i could come there and force you to safe your country and children but I cant. YOU HAVE TO DO IT!. You are so many million ! What the hell……I know Ukranian people who walked away with only what they where wearing, their children in their arms. they where dirt poor, alone, with no help but they chose to safe their children. the hardship was great but their children know are running outsite, pink cheeked looking forward to a bright future! WAKE UP JAPAN we can’t do it for you alone YOU MUST CHIP IN !

• alasanon

Totally! It’s crazy!

I talked to a radiologist expert here (near North Anna) and he had been selected to be part of the U.S. delegation to Japan after their earthquake. He said they made 6 direct offers to help Japan and they turned them down each time!!!-? They basically told both the U.S. and Russia to GO AWAY! We’ve got it! The radiologist was still angry about it.

Now they’re just mucking up the world, too!!!

• Blown Camaro

Perhaps dressing up like Pikachu and holding a sign that reads, “Radiation is VERY BAD! Time to go” might get their attention. The mental programming there runs very deep and they do no distrust their government (YET!) the way we do.

• Finch Finch

LEave them where they are, it’s their life. But as soon as it starts concerning you and me, it’s our turn. Today I was shopping in Vienna, Austria. Nobody even dares to buy fish from the Pacific ocean, nobody talks about the Fukushima event , but we all are scared like hell about rice and fish! The prices for fish go down dramatically, but still nobdy buys it. The Pacific ocean is so huge, but we dare not buy fish from it due to Fukushima. How sad is this. Pacific Ocean, great mother of the oceans, I am so sorry but what can we do???

• NoNukes NoNukes

Good point, Finch. No one seems to know or care about Fukushima in California on one hand, but then the strawberries and sushi have suddenly dropped in price, on the other. Seems denial doesn’t completely extend to our buying habits, just our conversation.

Maybe this is the place to put the pressure. My neighbor wrote one article about trans fats (partially hydrogenated oils) for the SF Chronicle in 2002, and within a year restaurants were already declaring themselves “trans fat-free,” and I think that the SF Board of Supervisors moved to ban them in 2008.

It is hard to be hopeful, but it is possible to shift things, and we are primed for fear about our food. We need one mainstream journalist.

• theypoisonus

I am not defending the Japanese psyche in any way, but they are as brainwashed and have as many ‘sheeple’ as the US.

That said, there is a severe ‘culture’ there for centuries that has been kept, to a degree intact. It goes beyond ‘saving face’ is is deeply rooted.

Yes, I too have days where I throw up my hands and say, “why am I writing to all these alternate news sites with info an hoping beyond hope someone will wake them up and MSM will help out”

No matter how many times I try, it is useless effort other than I feel that at least I tried.
    There are some that are leaving, there also is the tragedy of the Tsunami and the deaths there and then the farmer folks that have been stuck in shelters.. and the love of their country and it’s beauty.

So many factors to think of and consider. Very complex. Frustrating, but try to look at the bigger picture. Imagine youself on a Island you love, in a very dominated altho touted as ‘democratic’ culture with undertones of centuries past. Then imagine leaving that to a ‘heathen’ place like the US..
    It would take a brave/ desperate soul to have that strength.. leave all family, culture etc. behind.

• pure water

Dear friends, look at this
    it is a link from ex-skf. Take care all of you in the USA and Canada. Have in mind it is based on the old data from TEPCO, and is just for Sc and just for a brief period from the start of this tragedy.Nobody sees its end.
    I have done very simple comparison of the maps for cancer in the world, nuclear fallout and nuclear plants. Do this for yourselves and show it to your friends and relatives. It works better than words.
    Please, take care.

• larry-andrew-nils

that link got posted… that map… not long ago
    of course it’s worse than that.

• pure water

Yes, I was late.
    It is not a result of measurements, but a prognosis based on wind patterns. The Chernobil one seems pretty good, anyway.
    Inform people around you, it is vital.

• Clocka

Actually Japan has a history of shipping children too.

During the last year of World War II, American bombers destroyed most of Japan’s cities, and children were moved to the mountains.

Unfortunately, the favorite places of relocation were mostly in the more sparsely populated NorthEast, precisely the area contaminated.

Japan also had a history of packing up lepers in a bunch of camps; and, given its history, contaminated kids will probably live out their lives in now mostly defunct leper camps dating from the 1890s. Of course the authorities didn’t forget to sterilize the lepers too.