Nome Nugget, Mar. 27, 2014: Radiation sampling to happen for Bering Strait — Regional concerns about the possibility that Bering Sea waters could be radioactively contaminated [...] “People throughout our region have repeatedly asked for testing of our subsistence foods and water,” said [University of Alaska, Fairbanks professor Gay Sheffield]. “Seals fell sick with a still unknown disease, we’ve had the documented first cases of avian cholera in Alaska, we’ve had unusual animals like the beaked whale showing up dead on the beach near Gambell and each time people throughout the region expressed concerns about the effects of Fukushima either in the air, and now with the approaching plume in the water,” said Sheffield. [...] Gambell Tribal President Eddie Ungott agreed and said that his village is very concerned about radiation. [...] IRA President Paul Rookok, Sr. said they are worried about the health of marine mammals [...]
Nome Nugget, Apr. 17, 2014: Sheffield also noted that a rare whale washed ashore near Gambell [...] a species that has never been seen this far north.
KNOM, Apr. 24, 2014: NOAA Investigating Rare Whale Beachings — Three rarely seen whales beached on Alaska’s coast last year [...] The Stejneger’s beaked whales beached last fall: one on St. Lawrence Island and two in Valdez. [...]
Yomiuri Shimbun, May 9, 2014: Denizens of the deep surface in mysterious profusion [...] Giant oarfish over four meters in length and giant squid with massive tentacles… Deep-sea creatures whose biology is still cloaked in mystery have been found one after another along the coast of the Japan Sea since the beginning of the year. Experts believe that a change in sea temperature has had some kind of effect, but the cause remains unknown. “It was weak but still alive. It spewed water as if exhaling heavily,” Yuji Kawaguchi, 65, a fisherman in Sado, Niigata [...] eight giant squids have been found in waters off Niigata [...] 11 giant squids have been identified over the five decades until last year and this year has been exceptional.
Published: May 10th, 2014 at 2:41 pm ET
- VIDEO: Extremely rare whale washes up in Northeast Japan — Just one sighting of species in history — Similar creature found dead nearby April 14, 2015
- Mysterious deadly black fungus being found on fish in Pacific Northwest — Gov’t: There was some concern Fukushima radiation could be involved — Biologists investigating how this landbased mold is now appearing in ocean — Many reports of unusual rotting sores, growths, bumps, cancer (PHOTOS) May 21, 2015
- TV: Billions of mysterious creatures dead along West Coast — “Literally covering all of Oregon coast” — Washing up from California to Alaska — Expert: Death totals are staggering, “it’s got to be billions” (VIDEO) May 3, 2015
- Local News: Reports of mysterious loud earthquakes flooding in to Louisiana towns — “Of course the sinkhole comes to mind” — Dozens of miles away — So rare, no seismic monitors in area October 5, 2012
- Large die-off of Alaska seabirds from disease never found before in state history — Official: It’s super, super common… except it’s first time — Hundreds dead per km²; Continued to wash ashore — ‘Relatively’ natural; Witness: Head flopped backward, appeared to have seizure, then dropped dead (AUDIO) December 12, 2013