Title: Hanford Nuclear Tank in Wash. Is Leaking Liquids
Source: Associated Press
Author: By SHANNON DININNY and MIKE BAKER
Date: February 16, 2013
“You couldn’t find a more perfect radioactive storm … I am alarmed about this on many levels. This raises concerns, not only about the existing leak … but also concerning the integrity of the other single shell tanks of this age.” -Gov. Jay Inslee
The long-delayed cleanup of the nation’s most contaminated nuclear site became the subject of more bad news Friday, when Washington Gov. Jay Inslee announced that a radioactive waste tank there is leaking.
On Friday, the U.S. Department of Energy said liquid levels are decreasing in one of 177 underground tanks at the site.
[...] Inslee said the tank is the first to have been documented to be losing liquids since all Hanford tanks were stabilized in 2005. His staff said the federal government is working to assess other tanks. [...]
“We’re out of time, obviously. These tanks are starting to fail now,” said Tom Carpenter of the Hanford watchdog group Hanford Challenge. “We’ve got a problem. This is big.” [...]
See also: NPR: Newly leaked report warns plutonium levels at Hanford may be much higher than claimed -- "The Columbia River is at stake, all of that area and its vitality" says Washington Governor
Published: February 16th, 2013 at 4:16 am ET
- Governor: Leaks can’t be stopped at U.S. nuclear site — Will take years to begin removing radioactive sludge from leaking Hanford tanks (VIDEO) March 7, 2013
- Governor: “We received very disturbing news today” — Radioactive leak at U.S. nuclear site much larger than first reported — No ‘immediate’ health risks February 22, 2013
- Washington Governor: No “immediate” health risk from radioactive leak — Could be first of many to come — Going on for years, not weeks? (VIDEO) February 17, 2013
- Governor: Nuclear waste leaking at an estimated 1,000 gallons a year — “No available technology to plug the leaks” at Hanford February 27, 2013
- “U.S. state on alert after nuclear waste leak” — Governor: “This is most disturbing news”… No ‘immediate’ public health threat #Hanford June 22, 2013