Title: Tour of ‘fragile’ Fukushima nuclear plant shows shocking state of disrepair
Source: Mari Yamaguchi
Author: Associated Press
Date: 02/28/2012 01:05:48 PM PST
[...] Journalists given a tour of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant on Tuesday, including a reporter from the Associated Press, saw crumpled trucks and equipment still lying on the ground. [...]
“I have to admit that it’s still rather fragile,” said plant chief Takeshi Takahashi, who took the job in December after his predecessor resigned due to health reasons. [...]
But the equipment that serves as the lifeline of the cooling system is shockingly feeble-looking. Plastic hoses cracked by freezing temperatures have been mended with tape. A set of three pumps sits on the back of a pickup truck.
[...] the Unit 3 reactor, whose roof was blown off by a hydrogen explosion, resembles an ashtray filled with a heap of cigarette butts.
Read the report here
Published: February 28th, 2012 at 4:30 pm ET
- NHK: Unexplained water leak at Fukushima reactor immediately after 3/11 quake — Crucial cooling system disabled? May 2, 2013
- Japan parliament releases Fukushima report: Disaster was “clearly manmade” — Evidence quake damaged safety equipment, not tsunami July 5, 2012
- Weekends off at Fukushima: Not one plant worker could be seen says Asahi — Operational equipment lay idle — A cold eerie quietness February 27, 2012
- Photo: Duct tape, upside down orange traffic cone used to manage leaking material at Fukushima Unit 4 May 29, 2013
- Fukushima Worker: Tepco has another camera filming right now near Reactor No. 4 — We’ve been watching it June 13, 2012