(Subscription Only) Title: Thyroid gland tests on kids in Nagasaki to be compared with Fukushima findings
Author: YURI OIWA
Date: November 20, 2012
[...] The Fukushima prefectural government [...] survey found that 40 percent of 96,000 or so children for whom test results are available developed thyroid gland problems, such as nodules, or lumps, and cysts. [...]
Despite parental concerns about radiation exposure, it remains difficult to say with any certainty whether the 40-percent occurrence rate is alarmingly high or not. This is because no exhaustive thyroid gland tests have been done on children using highly reliable ultrasound technology.
The Environment Ministry commissioned the Japan Association of Breast and Thyroid Sonology to conduct thyroid gland checkups on 4,500 children aged 18 or under in three prefectures outside Fukushima.
[...] Nagasaki Prefecture was chosen as a study area partly because of its remoteness from Fukushima as well as the absence of obvious health issues stemming from the nuclear disaster and the presence of experts in thyroid gland testing. The Japan Association of Breast and Thyroid Sonology also plans to carry out similar tests in Yamanashi and Aomori prefectures. [...]
Published: November 20th, 2012 at 9:10 am ET
- Asahi: “Unexpectedly high” number of thyroid cancers in Fukushima children — Experts: Premature to say nuclear disaster played no role June 6, 2013
- Asahi: Another child with ‘thyroid problems’ — Officials can’t say if directly related to Fukushima crisis November 19, 2012
- Mainichi publishes report on thyroid cancer: 30% in Fukushima now with tumors of 2cm or less, thyroid gland only 5cm by 3cm total — Claims cancer increases after 10 sievert radiation dose, so Japan ok (10,000 millisieverts) April 27, 2012
- Fukushima Mothers: Daughter has so many thyroid cysts doctor can’t count them all — Hospital told not to test kids November 5, 2012
- “Rates of thyroid problems in children near Fukushima nuclear plant are high” — Expert: Parents have reason to worry — Gov’t accused of cover-up June 2, 2013