Published: January 14th, 2013 at 2:46 pm ET

Title: CROOKED CLEANUP: Fukushima city not sticking to plan to decontaminate homes
Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Author: Masakazu Honda
Date: January 15, 2013

CROOKED CLEANUP: Fukushima city not sticking to plan to decontaminate homes

[...] In areas where the annual radiation level is 1 millisievert or higher, which translates into 0.23 microsieverts per hour, the central government provides subsidies for the decontamination work conducted by the municipality.

Almost the entire city of Fukushima has radiation levels that call for such subsidies. About 90,000 households are eligible for such decontamination work. So far, decontamination has been completed on about 4,000 households. [...]

Published: January 14th, 2013 at 2:46 pm ET

No related posts.

31 comments to Asahi: Almost entire city of 300,000 people has radiation levels high enough to get decontaminated by gov’t

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

300,000 biofilters that are now nuclear waste.

Next.

• CodeShutdown CodeShutdown

large two arm robot designed for fukushima clean up. Simultaneously great and pathetic

• bwoodfield bwoodfield

WOW!! If they use these things, by the time the clean up is done all the radioactive material will have decomposed and it won't be needed anymore. Over 3 minutes to pick up a stick on the factory floor and put it in a trash pail a human had to bring over.

I wonder how much is the Japanese government putting towards these useless robotic systems. More than likely millions while their people are living in radioactive waste and slowly being poisoned.

• or-well

Visit the island
    of Honshu, Japan,
    on our Adventure Holiday Plan!
    Destination? The Region once called Tohoku,
    since Fuku renamed Dead Region No-Go-To!
    With side trips all around
    the "No-Can-Go" Plain
    as our well trained Guides
    keep an eye out for Black Rain!
    See Cities Deserted and De-populated!
    See Nature-Gone-Rampant and Creatures Mutated!
    See Strange Glows at night
    while you fight off your fright!
    (We'll help you avoid becoming Radionoid!)
    You'll wear New Culture Traditional
    rice-paper suits!
    (Must be fit enough
    to run in melting boots!)
    You'll Thrill to Adventure
    in finding Lost Treasure
    while Smiley-face dosimeters
    your rad-limit measure!
    At the end of your visit
    you'll be flown over Camps
    lit at night by the Still-Living
    Human Glow Lamps!
    You'll never forget
    the sight of kids swarming
    as they shout at your 'copter
    their Anti-Nuke Warning!
    And when you go home
    from this post-nuke disaster
    we hope you'll have learned
    that you must act faster
    because if you don't
    this won't be the last one!
    Brought to you by NITCO,
    the No Imminent Threat Company.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

@or-well; +1000 LOLOL!! "Must be fit to run in melting boots"OMG!!~that's hilarious!-and yes I have a personal story about that too!! LOL! Actually I grew up in the 60501 portion of the I&M Canal that was not made part of the Heritage Corridor National Park because the mayor during the 50's,maybe even earlier allowed the one-mile stretch along Canal Bank Rd. on the west and the ICG railroad on the east to be used as a landfill and old-timers who saw the drums including some marked as radioactive(from CP-1 and CP-2??!!)were dumped and buried there and remain since it was described as "spontaneously combustion" when flames and smoke began pouring from fissures and cracks in the ground above and the smoke would enter our homes and lives for several years after attempts to extinguish it failed!(?) People,including myself used to hike across it and ride dirt bikes around the smoldering obstacles where part of a motocross track ran through and I was with my 70's partying pals when I fell through the loose dirt cover and grabbed onto a twisted steel cable embedded in the dirt and friends pulled me back up & out of "Hell in Summit,IL" to find my Converse All Star hi-top gym shoes rubber soles had melted and my left pantleg burnt halfway up my shin!Yes I "RAN home with melting shoes"!!lol :| All reference to the long-term event has been erased except from those of us who lived through it & many died young!(?)(a flashback from Johnny B.) :) ~**

• or-well

Johnny Blade, sounds like a "Love Canal" that never made the media! I bet it isn't the only one…in that area or elsewhere…
        I found some interesting historical reading on the Heritage Corridor (thanks!).
        I wonder if that dumping story will ever "officially" surface or be exposed?
        (I guess you might be thinking "Heh, it's CHICAGO or-well, don't hold your breath!)
        I believe the Sanitary & Ship Canal is one of the last, if not THE last barrier, to Asian carp getting into the Great Lakes.
        (If they haven't already)
        Thanks for telling of your experience JB!

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

Thanks or-well;There's not enough room for me to tell ALL of the story!Believe me when I say there is a LOT more to tell,including the shady details of the responsible parties including the former maor who got very wealthy during that period and changed from a Democrat to a Republican-but moved his own family away from the area when it started burning underground!(?) After it finally stopped burning they planted industrial hemp and sunflowers atop the mounds of dirt which they added another 6 feet or more to cover the site and whatever crooked local politicians got for allowing the crap to be dumped wound up screwing the village out of MILLIONS of dollars that would've been gained had this section been integrated into the I&M Canal Heritage Corridor National Park that my late-Grandfather proposed to begin with and never received credit for HIS efforts as the local Park District President and Commissioner during his many years of service to the community & whose honesty kept him from higher office although others took credit for his work when he became old & sick. Also the Asian Carp have been a source of recreational angling here for years as they'd surprisingly thrived in the filthiest waterway imaginable and reach lengths of up to 5 ft. long-just HUGE!!(?) The Locks on the Chicago River didn't stop the invasive species and are now IN Lake Michigan just like the "mollusks" that found their way here as barnacles on vessels via the St.Lawrence seaway. ~ :( ~**

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

I've got a story about a place I used to go shooting in Ottawa,IL that was called "Buffalo Rock Shooting Range" that exploded and killed all of the proprietor's family except for the daughter "Patty" when they wouldn't sell the sections of landfill/garbage dumps that served as part of the shooting range to Waste Management Corp.!(?)
          I'll leave it at that for now at least because JUST what I've already posted about it could net me some very unwanted attention for even bringing up an issue that's undoubtedly related to "disappearances" of many of those who were unlucky enough to know more details that I'm not gonna set out here unless someone else expands the subject first! I can relate some details of the area's dark history and details about the events I've mentioned that are able to be found in writing at a friend's secure location as part of an "autobiography/manuscript" I'd written over the years and which contained several instances of things that my knowledge of or involvement with put me at risk at the time-maybe it will or "has" again,although I've ALWAYS maintained a close eye on my surroundings & been fairly confident of my ability to meet any attacks with equal ferocity & risk to any assailant who would wish they'd been aware of what they'd be met with if they don't take me out in the opening salvo. I don't feel like I have much left to lose since everyone around me is dying of cancer & our "would-be" grandchildren were miscarriages( :(

• or-well

J Blade, yeah, lets leave it at that. Urban garbage is an issue that seems to have always been "ripe" with corruption.
            Take care.

• HoTaters HoTaters

And don't you just LOVE, J.B., that they have made or are making the site where the Chicago Piles are buried a PARK?

I lived very close to Paolos Heights, IL, until just before my 5th birthday. For all I know I used to ice skate on top of those piles of crap with my daddy, when I was but a wee little child.

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

@ Johnny Blade

I used to live in Summit too, around 1989-1994. As an adult I didn't find all those hidden places kids and teenagers do. Based on your story I'm glad I didn't. Do you think radioactive waste is still buried there? Summit being nestled between corn products, sewage treatment and highways and least I forget in the flight pattern for Midway Airport. Glad I'm not there anymore. Here is when I knew there was no hope for the environment in the area…In the back of "summit park" behind the Village offices was a little walking/jogging path. I liked it because the center of the path was overgrown with tall native plants and you could here the birds in it where it held a little water. It was the only "natural" area in the whole town. After not going there for a while one day I went there and found the town of Summit allowed a neighboring town to dump concrete chunks and excavation debris into the center destroying the little bit of nature. This was probably so they could smooth it over and plant more grass. Ughh, I knew then I had to get out of there.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Yeah, like this one for starters. Now officials just say they can't locate the radioactive waste containers any more. About 30 miles offshore from San Francisco, California. I will forever wonder what it did to the people who lived at Hunter's Point, near the Naval Shipyard there.

"From 1946 to 1970, the sea around the Farallones was used as a nuclear dumping site for radioactive waste under the authority of the Atomic Energy Commission at a site known as the Farallon Island Nuclear Waste Dump. Most of the dumping took place before 1960, and all dumping of radioactive wastes by the United States was terminated in 1970. By then, 47,500 55 gallon steel drum containers had been dumped in the vicinity, with a total estimated radioactive activity of 14,500 Ci. The materials dumped were mostly laboratory materials containing traces of contamination. Much of the radioactivity had decayed by 1980.[23]

44,000 containers were dumped at 37°37′N 123°17′W, and another 3,500 at 37°38′N 123°08′W.[23]

Waste containers were shipped to Hunters Point Shipyard, then loaded onto barges for transportation to the Farallones. Containers were weighted with concrete. Those that floated were sometimes shot with rifles to sink them.[25]

In January 1951, the highly radioactive hull of USS Independence was scuttled in the area."

• PurpleRain PurpleRain

Or Well, If you ever want to create an ebook of your poetry please let me know! (warm smile).

• or-well

Hi PurpleRain
        Thank You for that very kind and generous offer!

I do have some ideas in mind, one being using some of it in the body of a larger story I'm working on, another being maybe a Blog where everything gets dumped.

I have too many uncompleted projects on the go!
        I must finish some!
        That means my slim efforts here must take a backseat.
        But…I cannot turn away from this issue. I will not.

Your offer, along with comments I have been given by others here, encourages me to believe there is some value to what I've done, however slight it may be and however little impact on however few it might have.
        For that, I am humbly grateful.

• HoTaters HoTaters

Armatron. Wow, there's Waldo. We finally found Waldo.

"North Power-Air was in trouble. Their aircraft had begun to crash at an alarming rate, and no one could figure out what was going wrong. Desperate for an answer, they turned to Waldo, the crippled genius who lived in a zero-g home in orbit around Earth.

But Waldo had little reason to want to help the rest of humanity — until he learned that the solution to their problems also held the key to his own…"

From Waldo and Magic, Inc., by Robert Heinlein

• HoTaters HoTaters

Waldo and Magic, Inc.

"At a glance:

First Published: 1950
        Type of Work: Novellas
        Type of Plot: Science fiction—magical world
        Time of Work: The near future and an alternate present
        Setting: The United States
        Genres: Short fiction, Science fiction
        Subjects: United States or Americans, Magic or magicians, Future, Other worlds, Science or scientists, Space ships, stations, or vehicles, Devils or demons, Diseases, Radiation, Mind and body, Brain, Energy
        Locales: United States, North America

The Plot

In 'Waldo,' young genius Waldo F. Jones suffers from myasthenia gravis, a disease characterized by increasing weakness and exhaustibility of muscles. He builds a space habitat that he calls “Freehold” and his enemies call 'Wheelchair.' Earth needs Waldo. On one hand, its 'radiant power reactors' are failing; on the other, humanity is becoming physically weaker, possibly as a reaction to the radiation these reactors give off."

• TheBigPicture TheBigPicture

Decontamination has proven not to work. Only solution is to stop using nuclear reactors.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Look at the low elevation plume from Unit 3 alone.
    June 21 2011

Japans Mox Fuel 2 Million times more Dangerous than Regular Nuclear Fuel

March 25 2011

Decontamination..is not feasible.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

That is a nasty vid Heart! While of course the immediate implications for Tokyo and then to the northwest and back again following local Japanese wind conditions hosing down the country were/are BAD by itself. When you see that plume that resembled a "reversed question mark" I remember the rest of the ATM modeling predictions as they stayed nearly as dense & concentrated AFTER making USA landfall and continuing across to the eastern seaboard & across the Atlantic Ocean & beyond(in an ongoing to this day cycle). That plume was the one that I really thought was gonna be the one that brought us the Plutonium & deadliest Alpha contamination and later findings suggest that the plume had stayed close to the ground as it curled through the rest of N.America and our worthless leaders and their "pet" $pecial-intere$t group and major media already owned & controlled by those who KNEW it WOULD happen someday stood by silently when they could have just given the truth and suggested sheltering in place and have their own physicians or local health official-provided "blocking" agents such as stable Iodine,instructions for sheltering in place or even just suggested on "Good Morning America" that people be aware of an event involving radiation that should have at least some citizens from some areas "stay out of the rain" as they did following the Chernobyl Disaster-but they didn't even have that much regard for our safety!But WE know what they did to us! :| ~**

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

Sorry I was straying a bit from the topic of the thread although I did connect the planting of sunflowers and industrial hemp as efforts to remove "something" from the I&M Canal landfill & HAZMAT waste disposal site story the decontamination theme of the thread somehow allowed me to turn my focus & attention to after all these years. It was an issue of great local concern-until the EPA came along and alongside local officials declared "NO WORRIES"!!(?) So my family & neighbors all believed their findings as adequate to continue allowing the acrid smoke to envelope the village for years while kids(like me)continued playing,riding our bikes & dirt bikes & 3-wheelers,building forts,etc.while the portion covered with a vast forest of great-looking,but horrible-tasting and 0%THC levels that was a source of "scamweed" that was infamously known about across Chicagoland while immigrant locals picked the seeds from the adjacent fields of HUGE sunflowers that I've learned since 3/11,probably here on ENE was one of the methods of decontamination/soil remediation @ sites KNOWN to be contaminated!!(?) I can't find anything about the underground inferno of garbage and industrial waste products that was rumored to contain waste from CP-1,CP-2 as well as pesticides,etc. banned in the early 1950's. I've got an old family friend to visit soon.He is a reclusive historian/geologist/archeologist likely to provide answers I seek(?).
    *THANX 4 putting up w/me!* :) ~**

• RADS

the Ol' saying was "canary in a coal mine" by the old saying…. Today our children our the canary and we are all the coal miners.

• patb2009

20 years from now they can officially decontaminate the city once

• enoughalready45 enoughalready45

@ Johnny Blade, I posted a comment/story for you under one of your comments above.

• or-well

"Fukushima City"
    Promo and Future?
    "Fukushima City -
    a vibrant, youthful-thinking
    adventurous-lifestyle place!"
    Its' citizens elsewhere regarded with pity,
    damned being alive, they approach life gritty.
    The immune-compromised elderly dead.
    Those with children haved moved
    or they're in care instead
    or not even conceived, out of terrible dread.
    If you can't relocate, you resign to your fate.
    Live fast, die young, charge out of the gate.
    When you're doomed anyway, why hesitate?
    Drugs, crime and violence all on the uptick.
    Eat, drink and be merry before you get sick.
    Scoff at Authority (those who are left).
    What can they do? Threaten your death?
    Laugh at their impotence! Do what you will!
    That's the only rule in the City of Ill.