Title: PROMETHEUS TRAP/ ‘Shadow units’ (9): SDF members told to hold their ground
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: HIDEFUMI NOGAMI
Date: March 22, 2013
The explosion that went off in the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant on the morning of March 14, 2011, caused serious damage to the neighboring No. 2 reactor as well.
The electrical circuits were destroyed, making it impossible to let steam out of the reactor. [...]
[Motohisa Ikeda, senior vice minister at METI] convened an emergency meeting of top officials in the room. [...]
“The No. 2 reactor is in a dangerous situation,” [Akio Komori, Tepco managing director] said to Ikeda. “We are worried that the nuclear core may have started melting down” at the reactor. “The worst possible case could occur four hours from now,” he warned.
Komori’s dire warning prompted the attendees to consider moving the headquarters [...] They chose the Fukushima prefectural government’s building, 60 kilometers from the plant [...]
After the advance unit left the off-site center, it was found that many people other than the members of the unit had also gone. [...]
“We have not decided to abandon this place yet” [...]
See also: Gov't report suggests situation "far worse" than meltdown -- It "is the worst possibility in a nuclear accident"
Published: March 21st, 2013 at 9:06 pm ET
- NRC’s possible worst case scenario: Examined MOX at No. 3 — Also speculated steam explosion would “reject an entire core” from reactor March 6, 2012
- Cover-up of massive explosion at Fukushima Reactor 3 fueled with plutonium? US government’s “worst case” scenario likely a reality… Entire nuclear core ejected into environment — Experts: It seems blast wasn’t from hydrogen — “Ejection of fuel parts… Exploding vortices suggest a steam explosion” (PHOTO) May 11, 2016
- Kyodo: Secret worst scenario was ‘reactor explosion’ at No. 1 and Spent Fuel Pool 4 drying up -Hosono January 6, 2012
- Engineer: 6 experts say nuclear explosion at reactor is possible — NRC: Fukushima Unit 3 explosion had 3 loud bangs, much larger than Unit 1 blast — Tokyo professor’s presentation adds question mark: “Hydrogen explosion of Reactor #3?” (VIDEO) December 28, 2013
- Japan Newspaper: ‘Startling’ secret Fukushima evidence revealed — Fear that Reactor No. 3 would ‘break apart’ just before it had massive explosion — After signs Reactor No. 2 vessel was destroyed, 90% of workers fled plant in ‘mass desertion’ May 22, 2014