Title: PROMETHEUS TRAP/ ‘Shadow units’ (21): Fukushima plant chief cried
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: HIROYOSHI ITABASHI
Date: April 19, 2013
The [April 11, 2011] meeting between Taura and Yoshida, which lasted only 10 minutes or so, established a reliable system of emergency communications between the two organizations.
Around that time, the Defense Ministry received a secret request from the prime minister’s office.
The government had developed a plan to lay pipes connecting the crippled reactors directly with a location on a hill some 1.5 kilometers away. They would be used by the SDF to inject cement into the reactors if it became impossible to cool them, according to the plan.
Eventually, it was decided that TEPCO would carry out the necessary work, but the SDF made preparations to deal with all imaginable worst-case scenarios.
See also: "Too many holes" in Fukushima reactors? May have to fill up suppression chambers with cement -Tepco
Published: April 19th, 2013 at 11:29 am ET
- ‘Typhoon Alert’ at Fukushima Plant: Concern winds could topple large cranes — Tepco trying to secure outdoor pipes and pumps that inject water into reactors buildings September 15, 2013
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: I got worried about corrosion of pipes after seeing new video of Reactor 1 — One day pipes will break from slight quake after seeing how much they corroded in only a year — Same risk at all four reactors (PHOTO) June 29, 2012
- Bloomberg: Tepco now in talks to cover Fukushima reactors with concrete for next 75 years — Officials reviewing plan in U.S. August 15, 2013
- “Too many holes” in Fukushima reactors? May have to fill up suppression chambers with cement -Tepco March 8, 2013
- Fukushima Worker: Nothing left we can do — Zero plan/idea how to manage leaking reactors — Tepco begins reducing # of workers November 23, 2011