Title: EDITORIAL: Incompetent TEPCO should never be allowed to handle nuclear energy
Source: The Asahi Shimbun
Date: July 31, 2013
[... Tepco's] appallingly shoddy handling of radioactive water that is leaking from the crippled plant into the sea.
[...] At the No. 3 reactor, highly radioactive “mystery steam” has been spotted.
The fact that radioactive substances are still being released into the ground, the sea and the air is irrefutable proof that the nuclear disaster of March 2011 is not over. The responsible parties must take this situation gravely [...]
The utility’s glaring ineptitude with crisis management was noted right from the start of the Fukushima disaster. [...]
[...] we have zero faith in the utility’s reliability as an operator of any nuclear power plant. In fact, allowing the company to handle nuclear energy is simply out of the question.
The entire company now needs to be focused on preventing radioactive substances from escaping into the environment. [...]
See also: Asahi: We are reminded anew of the huge scale of contamination released from Fukushima plant -- Impossible to recover pre-disaster environment -- Radiation levels not dropping in certain areas
Published: July 31st, 2013 at 12:31 pm ET
- Japan on highest alert for ‘once in decades’ typhoon — New forecasts show direct hit at Fukushima plant — Official: “Extraordinary situation… Grave danger approaching” — Record-level winds to 170mph, waves near 50ft — Military: “Can’t stress enough how dangerous… not just another typhoon” — Astronaut: It “takes up our entire view… Wow” (PHOTOS) July 7, 2014
- AFP: ‘Fukushima reactor site engulfed by steam’ — Kyodo: ‘Something like steam’ coming from unknown source at Unit No. 3 — Tepco: ‘Continuously wafting through the air’ — Work to remove rubble suspended July 23, 2013
- Asahi: Tepco to dump groundwater from Fukushima nuclear plant into Pacific Ocean — Trying to “avoid a total collapse” of system for handling radioactive water (PHOTO) May 8, 2013
- Fukushima Daiichi Worker: Contamination is still spreading around from plant — Significantly high levels may be spread during decommissioning work January 23, 2013
- AP: Tepco admits radioactive water is flowing into Pacific from Fukushima plant — AFP: Experts warn of effects on humans; “Fears of ocean contamination” July 22, 2013