Title: Scientists detect highest cesium levels in a year in Fukushima
Source: THE ASAHI SHIMBUN
Date: July 04, 2013
Radioactive cesium levels found in moss on a rooftop in downtown Fukushima exceeded 1.7 million becquerels, the highest levels detected in a year, researchers said.
[Ryoji Enomoto, an associate professor at the University of Tokyo’s Institute for Cosmic Ray] measured radioactivity levels there on June 8. [...]
A nonprofit group based in the city confirmed the original results; their tests detected 1.78 million becquerels of cesium.
Radiation levels of about 0.5 microsievert per hour were also measured a meter above the moss. [...]
See also: Magazine Headline: "Radioactive black dust striking Tokyo Metropolitan area" -- I've been told it's everywhere in city, says reporter
Published: July 5th, 2013 at 3:45 pm ET
- Asahi: Radioactive contamination ‘soaring’ in Fukushima groundwater — Strontium and other beta emitters up 4,500% in recent days; Cesium rises nearly 1,500% — Tepco says it doesn’t know why levels spiked (VIDEO) August 6, 2013
- NHK: Highest radiation levels ever detected in fish at Fukushima plant — Over 5,000 times gov’t limit February 28, 2013
- Weekly Asahi: 70% of children tested in Kanto (a region that includes Tokyo) have radioactive cesium in their urine -Journalist #Fukushima October 1, 2013
- Fukushima Unit 3 steaming again, third time in a week — Asahi: High radiation levels detected near where it was observed — Tepco does not know where it’s coming from (PHOTOS) July 24, 2013
- Study: Multiple surges of radioactive substances detected far from Fukushima Daiichi — Over 10,000 times usual levels at plant — Mayor: Gov’t knew but never told us, they can’t be trusted — Worst may be yet to come; Risk of ‘much broader’ contamination — CBS: “Many miles away… spike in cesium detected this week” July 17, 2014