(Subscription Only) Title: Videos show crisis at Fukushima nuclear plant 2 weeks after tsunami
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: compiled from reports by Takashi Sugimoto and Toshihiro Okuyama.
Date: January 24, 2013
Confusion spread, tempers flared and disaster loomed at two reactors of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, nearly two weeks after the crisis started in March 2011, footage of the plant operator’s teleconferences showed. [...]
At 8:58 p.m. on March 23, another serious problem was revealed when a report said temperature could rise again in the No. 5 reactor. The temperature had fallen below 100 degrees three days earlier. [...]
A cooling system stopped working [...]
[Masao Yoshida, then chief of the Fukushima No. 1 plant] was furious because he had not received the report immediately.
“This is a very, very important issue,” Yoshida said. “If there is something abnormal, tell us without delay. [...]
“The pump rotated at 4:14 p.m. [on March 24],” an official said. “Water temperature remains low at 99 degrees.” [...]
See also: Major Study: Reactor No. 5 releases may explain why so much radioactive xenon detected... or "recriticality has occurred in one of the reactor units"
Published: January 24th, 2013 at 4:23 am ET
- Asahi: Japan officially in “state of nuclear emergency” still — Clearly shows Fukushima disaster on going — Crisis far from over… gov’t far too late, commitment far too weak August 17, 2013
- Asahi Shimbun demands Tepco release ALL footage related to Fukushima disaster (VIDEO) October 6, 2012
- Nuclear Engineer: New footage shows Reactor 1 has “ruptured” containment structure, most likely from the explosion — Water to cool “what’s left of core” flowing into environment (VIDEO) November 15, 2013
- Asahi: Chilling warning seen in newly released Fukushima images — Shows ‘highly radioactive debris’ near Reactor 1 marked “Danger!” (PHOTOS) February 2, 2013
- NHK: First aerial footage of Fukushima plant since 3/11 — Shows explosion ‘distorted’ No. 3 reactor building February 26, 2012