Title: Cesium concentrations vary in river, lake sand around Fukushima
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Author: TAKASHI SUGIMOTO, Staff Writer
Date: Feb 24, 2012
Concentrations of radioactive cesium at the bottoms of rivers and lakes vary widely, but include some with the potential to affect ecosystems, according to Environment Ministry studies on water systems. [...]
waterborne radioactive cesium [...] of 7 becquerels per liter [was] detected in a river in Fukushima Prefecture.
[Note: 7 Bq/L = 7,000 Bq/m3; The highest concentration of cesium found during the much-publicized research trip headed by Ken Buesseler is 4,000 Bq/m3]
dry sand [...] reading was 11,100 becquerels per kilogram along the Nanakitagawa river in Sendai.
Ibaraki and Chiba
Some rivers in Ibaraki and Chiba prefectures also showed high readings. They mostly coincide with locations that came under heavy nuclear fallout from the Fukushima No. 1 plant, the sources said.
Gunma and Tochigi
Sand beneath ponds and lakes in some mountainous areas of Gunma and Tochigi prefectures produced relatively high readings. Cesium likely flowed in from the surrounding woods, where radiation levels are high.
Read the report here
Published: February 23rd, 2012 at 7:36 pm ET
- Cesium in fish off Chiba coast exceeds radiation limit for first time — 200 kilometers from Fukushima plant — Due east of Tokyo February 18, 2013
- Gov’t Survey: Shinjuku, Tokyo has third highest cesium levels of all testing locations throughout Japan — “Large amounts of radioactive dust fell in Tokyo” November 27, 2011
- Weekly Asahi: 70% of children tested in Kanto (a region that includes Tokyo) have radioactive cesium in their urine -Journalist #Fukushima October 1, 2013
- Study: Contamination in Tokyo suburb 3 times higher than area 1 mile from Fukushima Daiichi — Nuclear Scientist: Significant contamination in Tokyo, a serious problem (AUDIO) September 23, 2013
- Radioactive dust reported in Tokyo after recent fog — Over 4,000 Bq/kg of cesium — “Contamination never disappear, be careful” March 21, 2013