Title: TEPCO unable to locate source of leak in Fukushima reactor
Source: AJW by The Asahi Shimbun
Date: December 12, 2012
TEPCO unable to locate source of leak in Fukushima reactor
The operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant is grappling to locate the source of a leak of highly radioactive water in the crippled No. 2 reactor [...]
A remote-controlled robot is now scouring the basement of the reactor building [...]
TEPCO suspects the radioactive water is leaking from fractures near the pressure suppression chamber [lower part of containment vessel].
It was the first detailed inspection near the chamber. [...]
A huge volume of highly radioactive water, used to cool down the fuel, has since been leaking from the reactor, TEPCO said.
Watch: NHK: "The unimaginable was happening" -- Workers say part of Reactor 2 containment vessel destroyed -- After alarming pressure readings, "we heard a loud bang... pressure is now zero" (VIDEO)
Published: December 12th, 2012 at 9:44 am ET
- Kyodo: Robot data reveals hole in Unit 2 suspected to be almost 10 square cm; Highly radioactive water draining out bottom of containment vessel — Tepco model shows molten fuel barely underwater — Temperature irregulaties started earlier this month (GRAPHIC) January 30, 2014
- Tepco still unable to find where water is leaking out of Reactor No. 2 (VIDEO) June 13, 2012
- Tepco: Steam may be from gas leaking out of containment vessel at Fukushima Reactor No. 3 July 26, 2013
- Tepco: “Significant density” of Alpha radiation leaking from Unit 3 at Fukushima — Steam seen at reactor building “likely to be leaked” from containment vessel August 14, 2013
- NHK: Extremely high levels of radiation detected just above Reactor 2 containment vessel — Radioactive substances suspected to have moved through location (VIDEO) June 15, 2012