(Subscription Only) Title: TEPCO to dump groundwater to ease crisis at Fukushima nuclear plant
Source: Asahi Shimbun
Date: May 8, 2013
After a series of blunders, miscalculations and unresolved problems, Tokyo Electric Power Co. adopted a new strategy to avoid a total collapse of its system for handling radioactive water at its crippled nuclear plant. [...]
[...] it plans to pump up groundwater before it can enter the facilities and become contaminated.
“We would like to release that water into the ocean if we can gain the understanding of the relevant officials” [...]
[...] If approval is obtained, the utility plans to start dumping the pumped-up water into the ocean the following day.
“We would like to cooperate in settling the situation by giving our approval once safety has been confirmed,” Tetsu Nozaki, chairman of the federation of prefectural fisheries cooperatives, said.
400 tons of groundwater flow into the reactor buildings on a daily basis and mixes with the radioactive water. [...] 300 tons of groundwater would still flow into the reactor buildings every day even after TEPCO starts pumping up the water through the wells.
See also: Bloomberg: Increasing risk that Fukushima radioactive waste being dumped into Pacific Ocean
Published: May 8th, 2013 at 11:23 am ET
- Kyodo: Tepco ‘reverses’ position — Admits Fukushima plant’s groundwater is contaminated with radioactive cesium — Wanted to dump it into Pacific Ocean June 3, 2013
- Plutonium detected underground near Fukushima reactor — Test results not revealed publicly for almost a year after sampling date — Officials plan to pump up groundwater from same well it was found in and dump it into Pacific Ocean (PHOTO) August 13, 2014
- Kyodo: Gov’t to dump Fukushima plant groundwater into Pacific Ocean once plan approved — Senior Scientist: No one believes claims by gov’t labs or Tepco about releases, “there’s a shattered trust there” (VIDEO) February 3, 2014
- Report: Tepco now dumping contaminated water from Fukushima plant into ocean — 200 tons of radioactive groundwater “pumped out” May 9, 2013
- Gundersen: They want to dump all Fukushima’s radioactive water in Pacific — Tepco: It will be diluted, then released — Professor suggests pumping it out in deep ocean (VIDEOS) December 2, 2013