Fukushima fish still hard to stomach
ABC Radio Australia
26 June 2012
An ABC report shows that many fish caught in the oceans around Fukushima contain dangerous levels of radioactive material.
Fishing cooperative spokesman Takashi Niitsuma says in samples of fish caught 40 kilometres from the nuclear plant, just under a third have been above the contamination safety level.
[Fukushima fisherman Akira Kaya] says he thinks it is impossible for Fukushima’s fishing industry to recover in his lifetime.
Quarter of catch was above safety limit, worst contamination was 16 times above safety limit
First catch off Fukushima since disaster sold
Jun. 25, 2012
Seafood caught off the coast of Fukushima Prefecture went on sale at local stores on Monday.
A type of shellfish and 2 kinds of octopus caught near Soma City are being sold at a local supermarket. The seafood can also be purchased in Fukushima City.
Sales were approved after the prefectural fisheries association found no unsafe levels of radiation in last Friday’s test fishing catch.
The association says it hopes to ship the next catch to Tokyo and other large cities if customer response is positive.
Published: June 25th, 2012 at 9:11 pm ET
- Gov’t Official: Chilling report from Pacific Ocean… “Silence on the seas” — “Quite literally, there isn’t any fish” — Japan Professor: Fukushima posing reproduction risk to marine life, ongoing concern over bio-accumulation of radioactive material (VIDEOS) July 21, 2015
- Fukushima seafood goes on sale in Tokyo, prices 20% higher than usual — “I’m so relieved that octopuses from Fukushima have finally become available” (VIDEO) August 2, 2012
- TV: People will be consuming radioactive material coming from Fukushima — Seafood “much further away” from region will have unacceptable levels of contamination at times, says senior scientist (VIDEO) September 5, 2013
- Oxford Professor in Japan: Well so what if Fukushima had triple meltdown? People enjoy effects of radioactive contamination; Sunshine is much more dangerous; Effect of radiation same as oxygen — Former WHO Official: “The man is dangerous… He’s a crank” (VIDEOS) December 4, 2014
- TV: Fukushima fish making it to stores, loads brought into port daily — Experts: Very, very high cesium levels in sediments; Most fish in area are radiated — Lab: We’ve never found radiation, it’s safe — Tepco: It’s pretty much under control, fences keep pollution out of ocean (VIDEO) December 25, 2013