Nuclear emergency warning issued for 10 airspace regions, Air Transport Intelligence news, March 15, 2011:
Concern over a possible radioactive hazard from Japan’s damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant has prompted a formal warning from airspace monitors.
London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a nuclear emergency message covering 10 flight information regions.
Among them are airspace zones in China, Korea, Russia and the USA. …
It identifies the affected flight information regions as Fukuoka – the extensive region which encompasses Japanese airspace – plus Manila, Taibei, Shanghai, Incheon, Pyongyang, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Anchorage.
Aviation body issues radiation warning, AFP, March 16, 2011:
AVIATION regulators in London have issued a formal warning over the possible radioactive hazard from Japan’s stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant.
London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre (VAAC), the world’s focal point for notifying the aviation industry of International Atomic Energy Agency warnings on the release of radioactive material, issued a message covering 10 regions.
The open-ended warning, issued at 2pm AEDT on Wednesday, applies to airspace zones in Japan, Russia, China, the United States and South Korea.
Published: March 16th, 2011 at 6:48 am ET
- Secret U.S. plan to dump decommissioned nuclear reactors into sea September 27, 2011
- IAEA closed door session: Group was unable to obtain necessary information from Japan about Fukushima — Led to difficulties projecting how radioactive materials would spread around world June 22, 2011
- Seattle TV: “Warning, video of the (melting) sea stars might be disturbing” — Scientists are “so concerned” about rapidly spreading die off on West Coast — Doubled in just a few days — Jellyfish numbers booming November 2, 2013
- Kyodo: Radiation forecast can “by no means” be released to public decided gov’t on Mar. 15 — Showed radioactive cloud could spread over Tokyo area March 3, 2012
- PHOTOS: Sea star began “ripping itself into pieces” — Like a horror movie — AP: Deaths from Alaska to S. California — Biologist: Related to an environmental change? “An early warning that we aren’t picking up on?” — Professor: “None of us had ever seen anything like this before” November 4, 2013