Spike in B.C. sudden infant deaths concerns coroner, CBC, July 5, 2011:
B.C.’s chief coroner is urging parents to use safe sleep practices in light of a spike in the number of sudden infant deaths across the province this year.
There have been 21 sudden infant deaths in B.C. so far this year, while there were 16 sudden infant deaths for all of 2010, Lisa Lapointe said Tuesday. [...]
She said the reason for the increased number of deaths is all the more mysterious because health authorities, family doctors and public health nurses have kept up efforts to educate parents.
The B.C. Coroner’s Service is continuing to investigate the 21 deaths.
“We know there’s been a spike in the first six months and we know it’s related to unsafe sleep practices. Why so many of those [deaths] have come up this year, we don’t know.” -Lisa Lapointe, B.C.’s chief coroner
h/t Anonymous tip, JonahW
Published: July 6th, 2011 at 8:18 am ET
- FOX affiliate in Seattle: Northwest sees 35% infant mortality spike post-Fukushima June 19, 2011
- Huge spike in US infant mortality in the four months after Chernobyl vs. Is dramatic increase in US baby deaths a result of Fukushima Fallout? (VIDEO) June 15, 2011
- MD: Infant deaths also up in B.C., Canada after Fukushima — Corroborates U.S. study (VIDEO) December 22, 2011
- CBC on TMI: Reports of enormous increase in cancer deaths — Infant mortality rates doubled — Birds disappeared — Many mutations observed (VIDEO) January 29, 2012
- Nakate: Big change in number of child deaths in Fukushima due to illnesses after July 2011 — Death from cardiovascular disease doubled — Cancer and leukemia also increased May 24, 2012