Title: Why Japan’s ‘Fukushima 50′ remain unknown
Source: BBC News
Author: Rupert Wingfield-Hayes
Date: 13 December 2012
Entering the exclusion zone around the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant is an unnerving experience.
It is, strictly speaking, also illegal. It is an old cliché to say that radiation is invisible. But without a Geiger counter, it would be easy to forget that this is now one of the most contaminated places on Earth.
The small village of Tatsuno lies in a valley 15km (9.3 miles) from the plant. In the sunlight, the trees on the hillsides are a riot of yellow and gold. But then I realise the fields were once neat rice paddies. Now the grass and weeds tower over me.
On the village main street, the silence is deafening – not a person, car, bike or dog. At one house, washing still flaps in the breeze. And all around me, invisible, in the soil, on the trees, the radiation lingers. [...]
Back in the 1960s and 70s, getting rural Japanese communities to accept nuclear power plants was hard.
[...] they were promised that nuclear power was completely safe.
Now that the lie has been so tragically exposed, the feeling of betrayal is huge. [...]
See also: Fukushima 3/11 Fallout Figures Released: Over 4,000,000 Bq/m2 in major city -- Contamination did NOT come from much talked about Iodine-131 or Cesium-137
Published: December 14th, 2012 at 2:13 am ET
- Report: Over 30 million permanently affected by Fukushima radiation; Number of people exposed triples Chernobyl — Japan Professor: 14,000 sq. kilometers heavily contaminated; Millions including kids and infants are exposed everyday after being abandoned by gov’t, it is very bizarre (AUDIO) March 14, 2015
- Reuters: Contamination concerns growing… High radiation levels 270+ km from meltdowns — Gundersen: Over half of Japanese living in contaminated areas… Includes places 400 km away from Fukushima (VIDEO) February 13, 2012
- German TV Interview on Fukushima: More and more people living in highly contaminated places are dying of heart disease because of cesium (VIDEO) May 6, 2012
- Top Official: Over 60 million Japanese irradiated by Fukushima — Nuclear Expert: 50,000 sq. miles of Japan highly contaminated… Many millions need to be evacuated… Gov’t has decided to sacrifice them, it’s a serious crime — TV: More than 70% of country contaminated by radiation (VIDEOS) April 12, 2016
- Most contaminated animal since 3/11 found 50km south of Fukushima plant (VIDEO) November 22, 2012