CNN, Jan. 30, 2014: [Leonid Kravchuk, Ukraine's first President after it became independent] addressed a special parliamentary session aimed at seeking a way out of a deepening political crisis. [...] “Let’s be honest, the situation is dramatic. Both Ukraine and the world recognize the country is on the brink of civil war,” Kravchuk said.
BBC News, Jan. 29, 2014: Ex-president warns Ukraine ‘on brink of civil war’ [...] Catherine Ashton, who is holding talks in Kiev with the president and opposition leaders, said she was shocked by the unrest [...]
PenzaNews, Jan. 29, 2014: The Ukrainian Security Service has reported anonymous threats to blow up hydropower and nuclear power plants, which have already tightened security by the order of Energy and Coal Industry Minister Eduard Stavitsky.
VoR, Jan. 29, 2014: The threat of explosions at hydro and nuclear power stations by radicals has sharply increased. [...] Ministry of Energy has placed all the energy facilities on high alert.
BBC Monitoring, Moscow Times, Jan. 29, 2014: What the Papers Say, Jan. 29 — Rossiiskaya Gazeta [...] Alexander Yemelyanenkov article entitled “Near-nuclear blackmail” says security has been stepped at nuclear facilities in Ukraine amid unrest in the country.
AP, Jan. 25, 2014: Protesters on Saturday morning seized the headquarters of the energy ministry, but left it several hours later. Energy Minister Eduard Stavitskiy was quoted by the Unian news agency as saying that all the country’s nuclear power facilities were put on high alert after the seizure.
VoR columnist Valentin Mandrasescu, Jan. 28, 2014: Storming governmental buildings [...] and trying to enter control rooms of nuclear power plants [...]
ITAR-TASS, Jan. 28, 2014: Ukrainian minister says state of emergency not ruled out if extremist continues rising — Ukraine’s Minister of Energy and Coal Industry Eduard Stavitsky said Monday he did not rule out a possible introduction of a state of emergency in the country [...] Government offices and organizations have been getting anonymous threats of all sorts recently and some of them spoke of a possible seizure of a nuclear power plants in the western Rovno region [...] “I see smiles on some of your faces here but I can tell you for sure there’ll be no one to smile out there /should the threats be translated in reality,” Stavitsky said. [...] Energy Ministry [...] now maintaining full readiness for an assault that might begin anytime.
Published: January 30th, 2014 at 9:08 am ET
- Former US Official: War in Ukraine could cause disaster worse than Chernobyl and Fukushima — Situation “calls for far greater global concern” — Multiple scenarios result in meltdown — Foreign Minister: “Potential threat to many nuclear facilities” April 15, 2014
- Russia TV: Meteor “could be a little teaser of what’s coming” — 20,000 personnel still on high alert — “This is essentially a giant nuclear facility… 7 plants here produce fuel” (VIDEO) February 15, 2013
- CNN: Urgent – Emergency repairs reported at largest nuclear power plant in Europe — Prime Minister: I know that a nuclear accident has occurred (VIDEO) December 3, 2014
- NHK: With support growing for the 0% nuclear power option, gov’t to delay deadline for deciding on an energy policy (VIDEO) August 6, 2012
- Fox News: “Attacking some U.S. nuclear plants could be a piece of cake for terrorists… reactors are naked” — Expert: “Meltdown in a matter of minutes” — WFMY: “We are on high alert” (VIDEOS) August 17, 2013