Follow-up to: NOAA Scientists: Plumes from Asia contribute up to 20% of surface ozone pollution on US West Coast... closely related to radioactive fallout -- Maximum at Los Angeles Basin, southwest
The spring maximum in radioactive fallout has been observed by many researchers [...]
At Tateno，Japan，for example, has a peak in March every year from 1962 to 1966, while in Sr－90 fallout at Tokyo the peak is observed in the months from March to June.
[...] the Sr－90 maximum appeared in April and May at New York.
[...] It is to be noted that at many places both total ozone and radioactive fallout have maxima in the spring time and minima in fall [...]
Title: Plutonium isotopes in the surface air in Japan: Effect of Chernobyl accident
Source: Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Author: K. Hirose, Y. Sugimura
Date: June 1989
Plutonium isotope concentrations in the surface air at Tsukuba, Japan are reported during the period from 1981 to the end of 1986. The 239,240Pu concentration in the surface air, which showed a marked seasonal variation with a spring maximum [...]
Read the report here
Unfortunately, it’s been difficult finding any reference to the ‘spring maximum’ in relation to Fukushima.
Published: April 6th, 2012 at 9:06 am ET
- Japan Expert: Contamination from Fukushima flowing beneath seafloor? “Could spring up outside the port” August 1, 2013
- Report: What is going on at Daiichi? Fukushima fallout increased Nov. 2-4 — Highest back-to-back days in months (CHARTS) November 5, 2012
- AFP: Scientist warns of new flood of radioactive particles around Fukushima — Those who escaped initial fallout could now be exposed — People in coastal areas at particular risk November 29, 2013
- Warning from Japan’s Top Nuclear Official: I am “much more worried” about fuel in Fukushima Unit 4 — Rods may break open and release highly radioactive material — Beware risks from debris, a disaster if damaged — Removal may start Nov. 8 October 30, 2013
- “In 2013, people really interested in radioactive fallout” — US gov’t studying public attention to Fukushima, tracks twitter searches — NRC FOIA: “Libyan war news should now downgrade Fukushima” December 11, 2013