East Idaho News, Jan 9, 2016 (emphasis added): The following is a news release from the Idaho Department of Fish and Game… The mountain lion had an unusual deformity—fully-formed teeth and what appears to be small whiskers were growing out of hard fur-covered tissue on the left side of the animal’s forehead… It is possible that the teeth could be the remnants of a conjoined twin… It is also possible that deformity was a teratoma tumor… They are rare in humans and animals. Biologists from the southeast region of Idaho Fish and Game have never seen anything like this particular deformity before… Mountain lions have large home ranges (50 to 150 square miles).
East Idaho News, Jan 7, 2016: “We haven’t seen anything like this in our region” [said Idaho Fish and Game's Jennifer Jackson] The young male was killed Dec. 30 in Franklin County … “we determined something really interesting was going on.”
Inquistr, Jan 9, 2016: Mutant Mountain Lion With Horns Deformed By Idaho’s Nuclear Weapons Testing Fallout?… [It’s] head has a fairly hideous looking growth sprouting from the back of its skull… some on social media wonder if it’s possible that Idaho’s fallout from Nevada nuclear weapons testing is somehow linked to the bizarre creature… “It has all of us scratching our heads. It’s a bizarre situation and a bizarre photo,” said biologist Zach Lockyer… [S]ome on social media believe it’s possible that Idaho’s nuclear weapons testing history may be involved… [A] 2010 study by a researcher of the University of South Alabama concluded the “rates of conjoined twins and teratomas also seem to be elevated” in humans from the Chernobyl fallout… [T]hose medical conditions happen to be the two leading explanations for the deformed mountain lion…
KBOI, Jan 8, 2016: Idaho Fish and Game mystified by rare, deformed mountain lion — A mountain lion with an extremely rare deformity is a puzzling discovery for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game… [A] possibility is a teratoma tumor… and are incredibly rare…
CBS, Jan 11, 2016: State wildlife biologists have been left puzzled over a mountain lion found with teeth growing out the side of its forehead… Idaho Fish and Game biologists say they’ve never seen such a “bizarre” abnormality before.
Idaho State Journal, Jan 14, 2016: [It] has turned into a worldwide media sensation… [S]tories can be found on YouTube with commentators linking the deformity to radioactive forests and Atomic City, Idaho… “We had a three-headed calf,” [Local veterinarian Lincoln Mumford] said. “The calf had a jaw on one side of its head and one the other side, it had a jaw, teeth and whiskers.”… From Riverdale to the Utah border, there are just five adult cougars that [Boone Smith, a local big cat expert] knows of…
Idaho State Journal, Jan 6, 2016: [W]ildlife biologists were stunned by what they saw… an abnormality local Fish and Game biologists say they have never seen before.
CNN, Jan 11, 2016: It had fully-formed teeth growing out of the top of its head… The deformity could be a “monster tumor“… [It] can only be described as bizarre, even monstrous.
Published: January 19th, 2016 at 6:52 pm ET
- ‘Unbelievable!’: Scientists stunned as 3 rare giant oarfish found dead off Los Angeles in recent weeks — Flesh falling apart while still alive, body parts missing — Biologist: “Of course I’m very concerned… for some reason they’re dying… it’s very strange” — Being tested for toxins (VIDEO) August 20, 2015
- CNN: Scientists puzzled as rare ‘sea monsters’ wash ashore in Southern California — Expert: 2 giant oarfish and saber-toothed whale in a week… “What is going on?” (VIDEO) October 19, 2013
- Gov’t declares “disaster” over diseased and dying fish on US West Coast — “Sudden, unexpected large decreases” in population — Scientists “mystified… stumped” — Officials: “Environmental disaster… Devastating… Alarming… Dire” (VIDEO) January 29, 2017
- Officials in U.S. report “very rare mutations” in Pacific sea life — “Never seen anything like this” — Photos show red crabs completely white, “shockingly bright blue… almost unnatural”, or with yellow legs — Environment “could play a role” — Also observed recently by Japan (VIDEO) July 22, 2014
- Erin Brockovich taking on nuke industry: “Massive amounts of cancer” in hometown near L.A. — Astounded by rare, rare cancers among youth (VIDEOS) December 21, 2011