Published: September 2nd, 2011 at 10:10 pm ET

Dominion Says Crack Found at North Anna Containment Building, Bloomberg, September 2, 2011:

Dominion Resources Inc. found a small crack on a wall with “no safety significance” in a room of a containment building at the North Anna nuclear plant [...]

Dominion discovered a “cosmetic” crack in a horizontal construction joint on a wall that is in the containment building, [Dan Stoddard, the Dominion's senior vice president for nuclear operations] said. [...]

Dominion invited reporters to tour the plant’s control room, transformer and generator areas. Company officials didn’t take the group into the reactor containment structure or the building that houses a cooling pool for spent fuel because that would have been “more complex and more time-consuming,” Stoddard said. [...]

h/t Anonymous tip

Published: September 2nd, 2011 at 10:10 pm ET

1. 30 foot long crack found in containment building at Ohio nuclear plant — Reactor was being replaced after cracks found on fuel rod nozzles (VIDEO) October 13, 2011
  2. Containment structure to be checked for possible quake damage at Virginia nuke plant — Reactors must attain cold shutdown before inspections begin August 25, 2011
  3. Quake over twice as strong as North Anna nuke plant’s containment structure was designed to withstand: Feds September 7, 2011
  4. Bulldozers begin working on new reactor at quake-hit Virginia nuke plant built on fault line September 4, 2011
  5. River water now surrounds spent fuel pool building and main reactor building at Ft. Calhoun after collapse of water-filled dam — Barriers at entrances to keep water out June 27, 2011

72 comments to Bloomberg: Crack in reactor containment structure at quake-hit Virginia nuke plant — Press tour not taken to see in containment or spent fuel pool building

• bmurr bmurr

oh boy, here we go again…

• theonlyjesse

I get tired just reading new articles. Hasn’t been any genuinely good news since 2010.

• Terranigma1 Terranigma1

From a Cleveland, Ohio news station:

WASHINGTON — “The risk that an earthquake would cause a severe accident at a U.S. nuclear plant is greater than previously thought, 24 times as high in one case, according to an AP analysis of preliminary government data.

(CLICK HERE to view the full list of reactors on the NRC list.)

The nation’s nuclear regulator believes a quarter of America’s reactors may need modifications to make them safer.

The Perry 1 reactor in Ohio tops the list with the steepest rise in the chance of core damage: 24 times as high as thought in 1989.

The four other plants with the largest increases include River Bend 1 in Louisiana, up nine times; Dresden 2-3 in Illinois, eight times; Farley 1-2 in Alabama, seven times, and Wolf Creek 1 in Kansas, also seven times.

The smallest increase was the 38 percent at North Anna.

Todd Schneider, a spokesman for First Energy Corp., which operates the Perry plant, said the increase in its seismic risk estimated by the NRC is misleading. He said Perry is capable of withstanding an even larger earthquake than is typical for the region.

Personnel at a handful of other plants, including Indian Point outside New York City and Oconee in South Carolina, have already redone the NRC’s calculations, and they show a much lower risk of core damage from earthquakes. Those calculations have not yet been reviewed by the agency, which along with other federal agencies is developing a baseline earthquake risk for every nuclear power plant to use.”

Observing Higgins’ EPA radnet charts for Toledo, Ohio, and Cleveland, Ohio, you notice the spike from July 7th to date. This is very disconcerting, as the levels have doubled. 250 cpm for Cleveland, Ohio, on Sept. 1st. The chart has never been this high!

• xstatic

thank you for this info! i live close enough to get the k.i. pills they handout to people in case off a problem.growing up my parents helped build this plant. guess it’s time to move .whenever i’ve told people that this is the most dangerous plant i was told by everyone “if it’s that dangerous it wouldn’t be running” ,my response as always been that there is to much money to be made to worry about normal people like us.after seeing this on the local news i got alot of calls from people on what to do ,i directed them here enenews.com .it been a real eye opener for for my friends. thank you enenews!

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

Check out Pittsburgh, PA higher than Ohio.

• James2

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m getting tired of hearing these folks claiming their plant can withstand this or that level of disaster.

It’s clear they don’t have a clue what they can withstand, and they are just saying whatever they need to say in order to maintain their income stream.

It’s also clear the buildings are build very strongly, but all the peripheral equipment is much less strong, and the chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

• jdstone1

Remember that they said the Titanic was unsinkable back in the day?

History always repeats itself and anything man made can be destroyed.

• Irritated Kalifornian

@James2

Good afternoon J2, In response to your post to me yesterday: I have also been looking at many places for information & I too have certain ideas about what is happening around us. I agree with you about North Anna I don’t believe something catastrophic has happened yet & I also believe after all my reading that the fuel at fukushima is probably still in the reactors. Only time will tell. Of this I am sure, at some point we will know the truth,maybe not as fast as we would like, but we will know. I also believe(am not making accusations) that because of this belief I , or anyone, should not be labeled as something, whether it be pro or anti nuke, shill or media , whatever. This is what I believe about the fuel. I may be wrong but until they can get a camera or someone inside those reactors, that is what I will think. Also, referring to your comment “rest assured they (spokesperson) are very adept at manipulating media types” This I also believe,but, it seems to me, we should remember this works 2 ways. The public can be manipulated by anyone, even the ones that may agree with us. It is up to the individual to listen & make up their own mind based on the information. I do not believe everything I read or hear anywhere, even here. There is too much information out there. Sometimes being misinformed can frighten a more gullible person, when they should not be, because some people do believe everything they hear anywhere they hear it. Regards, IK

@Mikey

I realize by addressing you I am giving you the attention you so obviously need & want, My question is: Do you really think that IK & J2 are the same? Why would someone post to & answer their own self? It just doesn’t make sense. Have a nice holiday, IK

• James2

So Kalifornian – perhaps you won’t see this from a few days ago, however I do want to comment on your post.

You say you believe the fuel is still in the reactors at Fukushima – and this is where I think you must not be following closely. There is no way the fuel is still in the reactors.

You see, they’ve already announced that the fuel has leaked out of reactors 1 2 and 3 and of course it had been taken out of 4 prior to the accident.

We know also from confirmed reports that plutonium from the inside of reactor 3 was ejected in the explosion on March 14th.

I guess it is possible that part of the fuel remains in the reactors at Fuku, but not at all likely. More likely it has all left the buildings entirely.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

“Cosmetic Crack?”

Nothing to fear; it’s already scheduled for plastic surgery, either botox or silicon.

• Cindy

Yeah ! WTF is a ‘Cosmetic crack’

Wondering if they consider the San Andreas Fault a cosmetic crack?

in who’s opinion ?

GAWD !!!

Maybe they will patch the crack with stucco, or concrete crack repair, a little trowel job, …will blend right in…

• Lee Binder

I closed my eyes and can now consider the Grand Canyon a cosmetic crack. Makes me feel very good. That’s what it’s about, I learned.

• Irritated Kalifornian

@cindy Good Afternoon Cindy,
        Maybe I can help answer your “cosmetic crack’ question. I was living in the desert at the time of the 1992 Landers (7.3) & the 6.8 Big bear quakes, 3 hours apart. I worked at a 1000 room hotel. The next day the inspectors were there checking the building & they did find cracks, but they were in walls that did not hold up the building. So the idea of just a cosmetic crack is very possible. I realize we are talking about a nuke plant here & not a hotel, I am not saying the 2 are the same, but consider the possibility that it really is just a cosmetic crack. Cheers, IK

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

Now that report was as clear as MUD. What are they doing, leading the reporters around on a leash? Don’t these idiotic reporters have any sense of curiosity about why they were not taken to see the damage for themselves? (It was an elephant, trust me). Journalism is in a sorry state today.

We want all these plants closed now–and it may be too late even so.

• Those are my cosmetic cracks; for theirs they use boron — lots of it …

• markww markww

God’s Been talking but no one listens Mark

• Sickputer

Most lawmakers in Washington know the Japan situation and they don’t want some of the same where they and their families live. I bet they are going to insist on more assurances of safety than a publicity tour where reporters can’t see the “complex” rooms. If this plant and Ft. Calhoun restarts before election day 2012 I will be shocked. The riskier plants will begin falling like flies once news of Japan’s descent into hell becomes a common fact for mainstream America.

• Jon_NY Jon_NY

THE HISTORY OF DOMINION-VIRGINIA POWER’s SEISMIC COVER-UP

Virginia Electric and Power Company (Vepco), now Dominion Energy, was at the center
    of a decade-long struggle which ended in two nuclear reactors being built on top of an earthquake
    fault. Vepco withheld documents and lied to federal regulators during license application
    proceedings for Units 1 and 2 in 1973. Ultimately, Vepco was found guilty of lying and a coverup
    in its efforts to obtain a construction license for the North Anna nuclear station near Louisa,
    Virginia. Despite the deceptions, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Vepco a
    license but fined the company $32,000 for seven materially false statements about the geologic
    fault under North Anna. Today, the evidence shows that Dominion Energy is attempting a
    similar cover up in pursuit of two or more additional reactors at North Anna.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

We have to hang tough ..we have to hang together..

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

wow..wrong link for pretty song..oh well

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Sorry all…. wrong link entirely……

• farawayfan farawayfan

“Company officials didn’t take the group into the reactor containment structure or the building that houses a cooling pool for spent fuel because that would have been “more complex and more time-consuming,” Stoddard said.”

I don’t know what’s more pathetic, the company managers hiding their equipment, or the lousy journalists who couldn’t be bothered pressing the point (or accepted when they were told if they pressed the point, the story was over).

Sickening lack of coverage and active coverup.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

That doesn’t sound good. Wow, I hope it is easily accessible and easy to repair? I already went through TMI and I really don’t relish the idea of going through another puzzle. While most residents left town I was stuck as I did not have a the means to vacate but fortunately it was not necessary or so they said……..they say a lot of things except the truth.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Sorry if posted
    Arnie and Robert Knight discuss the MANY MANY TIMES in the last few months
    Nuclear Power Plants have been pushed beyond their design limits http://t.co/RSZVo5b

• jec jec

The good news in all this–it gets the situation at North Anna out in the open. First the illegal activities by Dominion Power to obtain permits-”fined the company $32,000 for seven materially false statements about the geologic
    fault under North Anna.” Then the removal of quake sensors from around the plant to “save money.” And now the damage to the plant by a “5.8″ earthquake –which was orginally seen to be 6.1 (then 5.9–then 5.8). Since Bloomberg and other press media is now reporting, its hoped a FOIA request will surface the manipulation being done to keep the “masses” quiet. Oh wait..doesnt Japan follow the US guidelines for media control at Fukishima? Or is it the otherway around.

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

“One thing is for certain. The Fukushima radioactive leaks will continue at high amounts longer than Chernobyl did. Fukushima’s radioactive fallout will be affecting more people, crops, and of course sea life than Chernobyl’s disaster caused.
    But just like the Gulf BP oil disaster, we won’t be able to count on accurate mainstream media information or government intervention to minimize the damage.” And that’s all folks.

• jec jec

Oh–it was TWELVE false statements–see the news article.

Wonder how VEPCO (sure sounds similar to TEPCO of Japan..) explains the sudden emergence of the fault…when they said there was NO such geographic feature under North Anna. Vepco needs MORE insurance than 300M to cover years of medical care, evacuation, relocation, rembursement for property damages in a 50 KM radius of the plant. Oh, wait, how far away is Washington DC, our nations capital?

• moonshellblue moonshellblue

The thing about fractures is that they don’t get better and worse with time but the vessel is massive and I really don’t think this is significant thus I’m more concerned about the underground pipes, etc. as I’m still amazed that the quake was strong enough to move those massive 115 ton casks. Wow.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Oh…I forgot to tell you guys a New Thread at HP
    The Trolls are ALL OVER it. Hope you join us Regulars as I have get off here soon too. :(

• Whoopie Whoopie

This is a public service announceme­nt. Your government has lied to you. The safety regulators have lied to you. The media has lied to you. You and your children are currently breathing Strontium, Cesium, Xenon, and radioactiv­e Iodine, which is still spewing from the “active” Fukushima-­Daiichi reactor complex. The irrefutabl­e evidence I present needs to be front page news everywhere­. Inform everyone.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

Dear Whoopie: I can’t find your earlier post about being depressed. I wanted to extend my support to you and let you know you are appreciated. I’m going to work, I hope after laundry, several hours in my street median gardens today (lots of drought tolerant plants, cacti, succulents, etc.), which usually helps me recharge my batteries. My friends tell me; “get away from the computer for a few hours!” and it does often help. Otherwise, do whatever is soothing for you to do to help you to feel more bouyancy. All with critical thinking skills, like yourself and so many in here and who visit our site, are needed more than ever before in history.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Well thank you Pallas! I’ll be ok. It’s just one of those days. PLUS reading the Alex thread prob helped DEPRESS me. Either way, I’ll be ok. Taking bath soon to sooth these old bones and brain. Hugs to you. :)

• WindorSolarPlease

Some people still believe it won’t come to their Country.

Some people in Japan still believe it will be safe to go back home and all will be ok

They are trying to protect the economy/corporations, they are not protecting the public’s well being.

• WindorSolarPlease

We already have the radiation here. This is why there has been reports of Clusters of Cancers in Area’s.

The longer the Plants are kicking this stuff out, the more dangerous they become.
        These plants have been pushed beyond their limits.

We already know that the Earth is changing, we will be probably see more severe disasters

Time for a change, cleaner and safer energy

• enlighten44

The North Anna plant operated as it was intended. As far as taking reporters into containment, there is training that takes place and background checks made before anyone can enter that structure. People fear what they don’t know.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hello you enlighten44, unfortunately, we all know much more than we ever thought we had to about greedy nukers and their deadly business.

I don’t think one can be too afraid of those suckers.

• Pallas89juno Pallas89juno

The treatment of workers at Fukushima, in particular­ is horrible for several main reasons. There are a couple of unpleasant reasons for this culturally in Japan. The region, Tohoku on Honshu, where the 311 quake/tsun­ami/ongoin­g and worsening nuclear cataclysm occurred, is considered a generally lamentable backwater and the Japanese are extremely judgmental­, kind of the way some racists in the U.S. are; but in more subtle ways about different places, even within their own country. Other examples are the way many residents of the Tokyo region consider the Ryukyuns and the residents of other offshore islands as bumpkins or nearly subhuman.

Another primary problem that aids TEPCO and the nasty lying governments of Japan and the U.S. in this cataclysm is since the nuclear power age began in Japan, several decades ago, the equivalent in Japanese society of the “untouchab­les” of India, have always been used to do the dirty work. No one in Japan ever asks any questions about these workers even though the ranks of the “untouchab­les” (I can’t remember the Japanese term), is growing from an also dwindling, though not as fast, middle class as globalizat­ion, on purpose, causes middle classes in all former economic central nations to evaporate or slowly crumble away. There are many formerly middle-class men with or without families who have joined this class particularly since the economic downturns of the 1990′s in Japan and globally. The Japanese are extremely class conscious particularly about who they consider to be part of the shameful fringes (the poorest) in their society. However, with this nuclear cataclysm they are going to learn the hard way that we are all connected and no one is safe and that we all must work to champion and protect each together for the benefit of all, even for the benefit of who they see as “untouchables.

In a very similar category to the Japanese “untouchable class” are any foreigners working within the country, if not of means or well educated. Japanese corporations with the full complicity of Japanese society like to use foreign workers in nuclear plants as the Japanese nationals have ZERO concern for these as a society. In fact, due to the cultural xenophobia (which U.S. citizens should be able to relate to as a horrible character defect), these workers are not even really considered human. There ARE many open minded and wonderfull­y urbane Japanese; but far more and their society overall and in the majority continue to be outrageous­ly xenophobic­.

The lack of outrage in Japan for the both the foreign and “untouchable” class of workers at the nuke plants, is very helpful to TEPCO, and the dirty and terrorist (neglect during crisis is a form of extreme state terrorism) Japanese and U.S. Governments in their worse than middling response to this most serious of all crises for humans in the past 75,000 years.

It is time for the guillotines and this is the bottom line.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Enlightened, I dont know how you can say that with a straight face. Or maybe you posted that with a smile on your face. Either way it ignores the truth about Anna. In fact, it sounds very similar to what the MSM & Industry is saying. Whatever. You believe what you want to believe. No energy here today.

• Whoopie Whoopie

NOW I see that Frank Snapp!! Great voice on that HP thread!! Yippee! :) Breaktime.
    Take care everyone!!

• kirinseti

I think I figured it out.
    There is such a thing as business connect, the cold hard facts for the bottom line of business.
    And there is such a thing as emotional connect, such as the truth.
    Please feel free to discuss among yourselves.

• kirinseti

Very few know both waters.

• Troll Hunter

Hmmmm…cosmetic crack….then why didn’t they let the news media see that it was a cosmetic crack? I know why, because the crack is so big you can walk through it!

• Au Au

Random post here:
    I just got 42.5 CPM (10 minute average) from fresh rainwater in Midwest.

• lam335 lam335

I’m actually surprised because 42.5 cpm seems low compared to what has been showing up on the EPA’s air monitor beta counts page:

Yesterday, Toledo, OH, went as high as 456 cpm. Ft. Wayne, IN, hit 244 before they stopped updating the data (it still hasn’t been updated since then). Iowa, Ohio, and Indiana have all been in the triple digits for much of this week. Something nasty must be passing over us (I’m in South Bend, IN).

• Au Au

I have been watching that EPA Beta count also. Crazy high beta counts.
        I am downwind from Omaha, NB (southern MI). Other than the rainwater which was from outside, my readings are done inside and have been between 32-40CPM, for that last two days, with an Inspector GC. Tomorrow if it is not raining I am going to find a place outside, that is not in the sunshine, and do an hour reading.

• Au Au

Today-
          40CPM from a puddle of rain water on the ground in the backyard.
          38.9CPM from an outside reading 1 foot off the ground for an hour.

Interesting – I did a 12 hour reading at the front door, inside, but on top of tile and got 100CPM. I did a reading off of the brick hearth on the fire place over night and got 90 CPM. I took a reading off of the granite counter and got 80CPM.
          Doing inside readings off the dining room wooden table averages between 32-40 CPM- so about the same as outside.

• Guy’s get some readings at the rain downspouts and ditches !

• Au Au

Toadmac, if you are reading this, what are you finding out from your GC readings in Oz?

• jwfuki

Did not read all the comments… but it sounds like they are hiding something!!!!!

Imagine THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jec jec

yes..hiding..from one site the following describes TEPCO–or VEPCO (Dominion Power, Virginia) or “how to nuke the public”–press release from Fukushima

“Considering that leakage of coolant in the containment is a precondition for a much-feared ex-vessel steam explosion, it is curious that TEPCO stated in almost every press release before Unit 3 exploded: “Currently, we do not believe there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the reactor containment vessel.” [8] Prefaced on what is believed, that is primarily a statement about belief that serves as a way of saying: We know nothing about any leakage. Such a denial of knowing that a critical ex-vessel steam-explosion precondition may exist smacks of pre-litigation maneuvering intended to reduce TEPCO’s potential liability.”

NOW Insert VEPCO for TEPCO as they are using the same “playbook.”