Bloomberg, Dec. 6, 2013: Fukushima Radiation to Reach U.S. Coast at Safe Levels, NRC Says [...] as the first isotopes linked to the plant near the West Coast. “The highest amount of radiation that will reach the U.S. is two orders of magnitude — 100 times — less than the drinking water standard*,” [NRC chair] Allison Macfarlane said in Tokyo today. [...] The impending arrival of water [...] has prompted concerns about health impacts. [...] [It] will reach mainland U.S. shores by early 2014, according to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution senior scientist Ken Buesseler. Macfarlane also endorsed [Japan] releasing irradiated water stored at the Fukushima plant [...]
*NRC, Sept. 2013: 10 Bq/L [of cesium-137] is the World Health Organization drinking water standard. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) limit is 7.41 Bq/L. (Limits converted from Bq/L to Bq/m³: WHO = 10,000 Bq/m³ and EPA = 7,410 Bq/m³)
Macfarlane’s estimate of “100 times less than the drinking water standard” works out to a Cs-137 level in West Coast seawater of between 74 Bq/m³ and 100 Bq/m³.
In the recent study V. Rossi et al. (2013) the highest Cs-137 level predicted for West Coast seawater was 30 Bq/m³.
Though officials claim the cesium-137 in the ocean water is ‘safe’ for humans to drink, fish bio-concentrate cs-137 at a rate of 100 times the level found in the surrounding water. For seals and sea lions it’s up to 1,000 times. (Source: IAEA)
Macfarlane also did not mention the contaminated sea water will be impacting the California coast until the mid-2020s, according to V. Rossi et al. (2013). Note that the study’s findings may be a considerable underestimation, as it is based on releases from Fukushima Daiichi ending in April 2011 — yet the plant has been releasing a reported 400 tons of radioactive water every day since the disaster in March 2011.
See also: UPI: Fukushima plume to reach U.S. West Coast in months; Measurable increase in radioactive material -- Study: Prolonged exposure for California lasting 10 years; Hits Hawaii early 2014... may already be surrounded (PHOTO)
Published: December 6th, 2013 at 4:45 pm ET
- PBS Reporter Miles O’Brien: “No one likes to see ocean filled with cesium and strontium and so forth” — It’s arriving on West Coast of U.S. as we speak — “Nobody likes the idea of eating cesium from Fukushima” — “Tainted water dumped into Pacific as we speak” (AUDIO) April 25, 2014
- Gundersen: Ocean already contaminated from deluge of Fukushima toxic water — Will stop eating fish from west coast — Cesium at 1,000% normal levels in middle of Pacific August 23, 2013
- Fox News: So many people are concerned about eating Fukushima radioactive waste — Bloomberg: Radiation will be washing up on West Coast; Includes cesium, one of the “most dangerous radionuclides” released (VIDEO) February 3, 2014
- Expert: People on West Coast right to be concerned about Fukushima plume — Things “could get much worse” — Lots of radioactivity flowing into ocean — Gov’t not testing water or fish (AUDIO) December 1, 2013
- Nuclear Engineer: Radiation levels “much higher” in areas of Fukushima plume headed to west coast than models show — Radio: Concern “other isotopes” besides cesium to cross Pacific (AUDIO) April 11, 2014