Bloomberg, Feb. 3, 2014: Fukushima Wash-Up Fears in U.S. Belie Radiation Risks [...] Seaborne radiation from Japan’s wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant will wash up on the West Coast of the U.S. this year. That’s raising concerns among some Americans including the residents of the San Francisco Bay Area city of Fairfax, which passed a resolution on Dec. 6 calling for more testing of coastal seafood. [...] oceanographers and radiological scientists say such concerns are unwarranted given existing levels of radiation in the ocean. [...] about 300 metric tons of contaminated groundwater seep into the ocean each day, according to Japan’s government. [...] Cesium isotopes, which emit flesh-penetrating gamma rays, are among the most dangerous radionuclides emitted by the plant, said Colin Hill, [USC] associate professor of radiation oncology [...]
Rick Castello, project manager for a technology company, Feb. 3, 2014: [He] harbors concerns about the approaching radiation from Fukushima. “It’s not like I think official sources would be intentionally hiding information from the people [...] But sometimes we just don’t know.
Doreen Jean Dempski, author, Feb. 3, 2014: “I’m terrified [...] My boyfriend is a surfer and he spends hours a day in the water.”
Times-Colonist, Feb. 2, 2014: [...] there is one incontrovertible fact driving these fears. When four of the nuclear reactors at Fukushima were damaged [...] radioactive water spilled into the ocean, and continues to do so at a reduced rate. Deep-sea currents in the Pacific rotate in such a way that contaminants released into the ocean off Japan eventually arrive here.
Fox News, Jan. 17, 2014: So many people are concerned about this story — Is radioactive waste from Fukushima getting in the fish you eat here in this country? [See: Fukushima contamination is hitting California — “Humans are terrified” of eating it (VIDEO)]
Published: February 3rd, 2014 at 9:40 pm ET
- NPR Affiliate: Fukushima cesium detected in Alaska salmon sample — Radioactive plume has already reached West Coast — Concerned fishermen forced to pay for tests since officials not doing it — “People don’t trust gov’t… they don’t trust corporations” (AUDIO) January 16, 2014
- Professor: Fukushima material to be washing up for years on West Coast — “The fish are going to have some in them” — “People have the right to know what’s there” — “Probably not” enough to worry about January 15, 2014
- “Radionuclides from Fukushima due to hit West Coast any day now” — Senior Scientist: “Really bizarre” U.S. gov’t not testing for it — Concerned officials contacting him about threat November 24, 2013
- Report: Fukushima nuclear waste will merge with radiation from U.S. reactors when washing up on West Coast — “Startling amounts” released from operating plants — Diablo Canyon officials admit to recently discharging more tritium than Fukushima (VIDEO) February 4, 2014
- Expert: People on West Coast right to be concerned about Fukushima plume — Things “could get much worse” — Lots of radioactivity flowing into ocean — Gov’t not testing water or fish (AUDIO) December 1, 2013