Title: New Fukushima Investigation Promises to Dig Deeper Into Nuclear Crisis
Source: – Bloomberg
Author: Tsuyoshi Inajima and Kanoko Matsuyama
Date: Jan 17, 2012 12:38 AM ET
[...] Itaru Watanabe, an official at the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, said data produced by the system for projecting the spread of radiation, called SPEEDI, was provided to the U.S. before the Japanese public.
The data was disclosed to get the assistance of the U.S military for the relief effort on March 14, Watanabe said. The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan first released results of the SPEEDI projections on March 23, according to the ministry’s presentation materials. The data release for the public “was delayed while it was being considered at the government’s disaster response headquarters,” Watanabe told the panel.
The ministry officials then started explaining differences in definitions of words, saying the ministry didn’t “release” the data to the U.S. but “communicated” on the matter with the U.S.
“I want you to stop these word games” as bureaucratic definitions don’t matter to the public, Shuya Nomura, a lawyer and a professor at Chuo University Law School, told the officials. [...]
Read the report here
Title: New probe vows to cut deeper in Japan nuke crisis
Author: MARI YAMAGUCHI
Date: Jan. 16, 2012
[...] Top government officials have come under fire for failing to use data produced by the radiation warning system, known as SPEEDI, for evacuation when the reactors were in critical condition. They said they couldn’t use them due to the lack of accurate data. The disclosure could renew criticism over the government bungling of the evacuation.
But Itaru Watanabe, an Education Ministry official in charge of radiation monitoring, told the panel that the SPEEDI data were given to the U.S. military via Japan’s Foreign Ministry “for use in their relief effort.” [...]
Read the report here
Published: January 17th, 2012 at 6:52 am ET
- NHK: Japan gov’t gave SPEEDI radiation forecasts to US military, NOT own citizens January 16, 2012
- Radiation forecasts withheld by gov’t: Releasing it “would cause unnecessary panic” — “Ministry DECIDED such data would be unavailable due to loss of power” December 29, 2011
- Report: Gov’t hid radiation simulation because it was “very, very bad” -Japan professor — Showed serious contamination over wide area March 4, 2012
- Gov’t projections assumed ONE becquerel per hour was leaking from Fukushima — Actual rate reached at least 10 Quadrillion times higher December 29, 2011
- Mother Tells Official: “Lick that soil! Please lick it! Children lick the soil — Please take the soil in your hand and lick it” after being told it doesn’t need to be removed from Fukushima school (VIDEO) October 3, 2012