Published: December 15th, 2011 at 10:54 am ET

Title: Ex-Fukushima Plant Worker Press Conference
Uploaded by: MrJapanjp
Uploaded: Dec 14, 2011
Speaker: Tomohiko Suzuki, Ex-Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Worker, Press Conference

At 47:00 in

“This is a scene from where I was working. You can see reactor 4 and 3. You can also the reactor 3 spent fuel pool. But I had great skepticism about what was actually in the pool. If there were any pellets inside there remaining”

Full Video:

Published: December 15th, 2011 at 10:54 am ET

1. Koide: Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 “was caused to tilt” after the explosion, worried about great danger from pool falling down — NISA: “We confirmed it was not leaning, we think there is no problem with the building” (VIDEOS) May 8, 2012
  2. TV: MOX fuel probably caused nuclear explosion in No. 3 spent fuel pool (VIDEO) December 28, 2011
  3. Temperature doubles in a day at No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool (VIDEO) April 13, 2012
  4. Gundersen on TV: Biggest problem I see is Oyster Creek plant near Jersey Shore — No way to cool spent fuel pool while power is out — All nuclear fuel is in pool, none in reactor (VIDEO) October 29, 2012
  5. Nuclear expert: Powerful explosion at reactor No. 3 may have been from “prompt criticality” in spent fuel pool (VIDEO) April 27, 2011

98 comments to Worker at Reactor No. 3 says nuclear fuel gone from Spent Fuel Pool — “Great skepticism” that any pellets remain (VIDEO)

• LetThemEatYellowCake LetThemEatYellowCake

Pellets of what – the NRC said the fuel wasn’t damaged.

• LetThemEatYellowCake LetThemEatYellowCake

What was the guy confused about then? “But I had great skepticism about what was actually in the pool.” what was in the pool “still”? Or would they say that. I have a difficult time with translation meaning sometimes.

• this is the first official tepco admits they released an apocalypse thread…

Yay, I think…>?

• Enenews Admin

thanks Whoopie
      for yesterday too

• Whoopie Whoopie

Listening now. This hearing is ALREADY better than Issa’s yesterday. Yahoo.

• PoorDaddy PoorDaddy

Hi Whoopie.
          Just finished watching the NRC hearings (thanks for the link!).
          Heres my take…Jazco is a little less bought and paid for by the nuke industry than the other 4 nuke lap dogs, so they want to get rid of him and build more nuke shit faster and allow as many short cuts for the industry as possible without us knowing shit.
          Did you catch one of the last questions by Bernie Sanders about having a public knowledge, yes or no vote like the Senate does? All 4 of the commission weasels basically said NO….”We like the process as it is”….(easier to obfuscate, deny and not be held accountable).
          Thanks again for the link…I would have missed it otherwise.

• James2

Hey admin, sorry if my little bout with Kenny caused you pain. You haven’t banned me yet, so I figure it’s tolerable.

if you want to leave me a message, just put something in my profile and I’ll find it.

James

• Enenews Admin

Hey James. It wasn’t just that situation, a lot of comment strangeness was going on. Getting a bunch of reported comments to sort through wastes time. Also non-nuclear/energy related comments detract from the value of the site.

PS just a little unsolicited tip, via Wikipedia:

“A non-apology apology is a statement in the form of an apology but that is not in fact an apology at all. It is common in both politics and public relations. It most commonly entails the speaker saying that he or she is sorry not for a behavior, statement or misdeed, but rather is sorry only because a person who has been aggrieved is requesting the apology, expressing a grievance, or is threatening some form of retribution or retaliation.

An example of a non-apology apology would be saying “I’m sorry that you felt insulted” to someone who has been offended by a statement. This apology does not admit that there was anything wrong with the remarks made, and additionally, it may be taken as insinuating that the person taking offense was excessively thin-skinned or irrational in taking offense at the remarks in the first place.”

• stock stock@hawaii.rr.com

Nicely done, we all need to have some class even as we are irradiated a bit.

• Ken31ONCA

you hit the nail on the head there! Im sorry if he felt insulted, but for him to go all call everyone shills for no good reason other then they disagree was uncalled for. I am sorry though for anyone who wants to be more informed on the nuclear situation and had to scan through the comments that have been on here the past 12 hours. There is still too much to learn and too many people to wake up to waste time fighting over something so dumb, I know better then to worry about someones opionion who has nothing to offer at all. I have been coming here since march and i enjoy everyones insight and being able to vent to eachother about some of the outrageous things going on, but calling everyone a shill or enenews shill city was crossing the line for me lastnight. wont happen again admin, i am sorry for stooping to his level

• Enenews Admin

not sure how that relates and don’t really care! maybe cause i dont read 95% of the OT comments. hope things are better now though. :)

• HoTaters HoTaters

I’ll try to post my comments where they are appropriate. Do you prefer them under a particular post, or that the person posting goes to the subjects section and posts there? Sometimes it’s hard to figure out where to put the post. Personally, it’s hard to read through a bunch of non-related posts in a thread, and it detracts from one’s train of thought. Would rather start a new thread, but that’s a personal preference. Your advice is appreciated.

• HoTaters HoTaters

BTW, Admin, I’m learning from James2 how to insult myself. It takes practice, but he’s a pretty good teacher! Just kidding, James. I hope I won’t get myself in trouble for this ….

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Cool. Btw, congrats Admin to almost 3.000 Ene friends! Spreading the word FAST!

• James2

Admin – my apology to you is genuine.

I did not however make any apology to Kenny Boy. I have nothing to apologize for to him. I was not the one making vulgar insulting comments.

However I did lead him to insult himself and make himself look pretty dumb. For that, I have no regret.

Take me out if you want, I call a spade a spade, and always will. Lots of folks here tell me they like it, some probably do not.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Thanks Whoopie…this is so important..

• Whoopie Whoopie

I LOVE Apostolakis!
        HERO! He’s a good guy. Russian I believe…

• pure water

Sounds like a Greek name

• HoTaters HoTaters

Someone posted here awhile back on an NRC document (.pdf file?) discussing NRC hearings on BWR cooling head failures. George Apostolakis made the only comments, IMHO, that sounded like anyone gave a rip about safety ….

If I remember correctly, the NRC meeting was to discuss drywell head cracking, which had occurred at several locations.

The transcript was just comical. It sounded like the NRC commissioners, with the possible exception of Mr. Apostolakis, were crawling over one another in attempts to
          “make it OK” for no safety changes to be made, whatsoever …. The one industry guy, in particular, would say something very vague, then a commissioner would finish his sentence for him, and the guy would say, “Right.” Some of the comments were just outrageous! If I didn’t know better, I’d say the one industry guy who did most of the speaking had the IQ of a small kitchen appliance (unplugged).

I wish I could see what Gregory Jackzo’s postion was. I think he may have been an NRC commissioner at the time, but I’m not sure.

Can’t find the link right now. ‘Thought I had it bookmarked. Is anyone familiar with the transcript of this meeting? It’s very revealing, and possibly shows the NRC’s usual “Modus Operandum” i.e., business as usual …. It was quite a revelation for me, and really gave me the impression at least some of the commissioners are “in bed” with people in the industry.

• in spent fuel the pellets are no more pellets. there was a comparison of new and spent fuel, the used fuel pellets are more like broken crumbled sand.
    interesting find (maybe here b4?)

what is mox needed for? some extra watts in old plants?

like exchanging the old cardiac pacemaker to make granny move faster….

• James2

This is how Oblama got out of building the storage dump – if they don’t build the MOX processing plant, then they have to spend the money on storing the plutonium and they already spent that money somewhere else – which is why it’s so important for the public not to turn on MOX – and why the government is helping to suppress information about the Fukushima disaster.

Clear as mud, right?

• americancommntr

I think the military wants spent fuel pools, stuffed with spent fuel, and placed all around the US.

That way, any fool country which launches an EMP attack will:

a) Have to face deadly global blowback (killer fallout)
        b) Will know there will be no spoils in N. America for any victors

The only problem with this is the maniacal, suicidal, Islamic-theocratic terrorist government of Iran, wants to destroy the Great Satan and usher in the last great Imam, and end times.

Lots of people criticize the USA, but compared to Iran, the USA is still a saint, in spite of ALL its evils.

• or-well

@americancommntr,
          Your points a) and b) are sensible, realistic considerations any RATIONAL potential attacker would need to consider.
          Who’s to say same would be rational, though.

I would point out however, that there are some of self-professed Christian persuasion who suggest the endtimes are not to be feared by the faithful but welcomed.

In any case, Spent Fuel Pools are a target of opportunity in many countries. The world is a target-rich environment for fanatics of any religious or political persuasion.

• americancommntr

You’re right. There are those who say that. But it sounds like less fun than going to the dentist, to me, at least in the short term.

• datura17

to those self-professed Christian types that believe that the end is near, the book that says that there has to be a 1000 years of peace before the end, so where is the 1000 years of peace. and no things just cant be ‘spend up’ because something has changed, that is false prophecy. usually that sends them off to ponder things.

• vivvi

NOT a particularly good strategy in the event of a solar flare EMP. OOPS we suicided everyone with our paranoia. Bit like that selfish idea that if I can’t have it I will piss on it so nobody else can have it. Bye bye planet earth, it was nice knowing you.

• The Mox is needed because they have to dispose of all the old nuke warheads, and it’s a way for people to make money on them rather than spend money disposing of them.

yeah, but it was sold as: some extra watts, to make old reactors fit they had to strengthen them. unfortunately it turned out that this strengthening (sry for spell errors) by putting in some extra steelbars was a place for new not calculated weak points.

• James2

You are likely correct, but the public was the duped – the real selling was going to the gov, who has a nuclear disarmament commitment, and has to spend dozens of billions storing the fuel or a few billion building a MOX plant – then allowing the public to pay the rest.

Brown sand much like the sand sound all over the american west coast, and japanese island chains.

(I think that was what main stream media had reported as pollen.)

• HoTaters HoTaters

From Wikipedia:

“Mixed oxide fuel, commonly referred to as MOX fuel, is nuclear fuel that contains more than one oxide of fissile material. MOX fuel contains plutonium blended with natural uranium, reprocessed uranium, or depleted uranium. MOX fuel is an alternative to the low-enriched uranium (LEU) fuel used in the light water reactors that predominate nuclear power generation. For example, a mixture of 7% plutonium and 93% uranium reacts similarly, although not identically, to LEU fuel.

One attraction of MOX fuel is that it is a way of utilizing surplus weapons-grade plutonium, which would otherwise be stored as nuclear waste and might be stolen to make nuclear weapons.[1] On the other hand, some fear that normalising the global commercial use of MOX fuel and the associated expansion of nuclear reprocessing will increase, rather than reduce, the risk of nuclear proliferation.[2][3]”

Twisted logic, if you ask me! What “attraction” is there about any of this, anyway? Oh, yeah, stuff that remains lethal for 24,100 to 4+ billion years (just the half life) is really, really attractive! I guess that depends upon one’s definition of “proliferation.” Toxic proliferation, or weapons proliferation? It all depends on how you define the terms ….

• HoTaters HoTaters

I’ve got a great solution to all that “excess weapons grade plutonium.” Get rid of all the *#%^_!# nuclear reactors, and there will be less “surplus weapons grade fuel” !!!! (See below.)

“Virtually any combination of plutonium isotopes — the different forms of an element having different numbers of neutrons in their nuclei — can be used to make a nuclear weapon. Not all combinations, however, are equally convenient or efficient.

The most common isotope, plutonium-239, is produced when the most common isotope of uranium, uranium-238, absorbs a neutron and then quickly decays to plutonium. It is this plutonium isotope that is most useful in making nuclear weapons,

****and it is produced in varying quantities in virtually all operating nuclear reactors. ****

As fuel in a reactor is exposed to longer and longer periods of neutron irradiation, higher isotopes of plutonium build up as some of the plutonium absorbs additional neutrons, creating plutonium-240, plutonium-241, and so on. Plutonium-238 also builds up from a chain of neutron absorptions and radioactive decays starting from uranium-235.”

• HoTaters HoTaters

Dontcha just love the logic?

Our nuclear reactors are required to make nuclear weapons. Atoms for peace!

We have all this excess weapons grade fuel being produced by our nuclear reactors.

Since we have so much excess weapons grade fuel, we will enrich it and create even more deadly weapons grade fuel — but there will be less of it, and using MOX doesn’t encourage weapons proliferation.

MOX is, by definition, weapons grade fuel.

• Flapdoodle Flapdoodle

I suppose the next version will be there never was fuel in the pool.

• LetThemEatYellowCake LetThemEatYellowCake

Is that a crazy idea? Well do you know what’s in the hole? I don’t and can’t get a mental image of it. Mr. Gundersen says a 100 ft hole…from the ground level? I don’t know. Then the NRC says fuel was not damaged. I think you saw a flash from that area too where we’ve never had that kind of explosion in a nuclear reactor ever. So how could that be impossible or possible? What if NRC is wrong, Gundersen right and worker right. What is NRC is wrong, Gundersen and worker right? What if NRC is right, Gundersen right and worker right? what if what if…until all rememdies exhausted. And now a worker says he’s skeptical about what is in the hole and pellets. Pellets? or pancake? or rabbit poop? I have no idea what that means and even if I could see I wouldn’t know what I was looking at. All I know is that someone is wrong and considering it’s an admitted never faced event and everyone seems to believe no one can get near it to look, it appears to me it has something to do with #3 and the hole from everyone’s statements I understand. Set aside namecalling or tell me how you know what’s in the hole please. Would it be weird there may have been no fuel? Do they ever move it under normal operations? Abnormal operations? What could those scenarios be? If it was there, why NRC wrong? If it was there, if not wrong do physics explain it not there? Is the hole empty? lined with what? what could it be? How much do you want to “know”?

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hola YellowCake, given all uncertainties, I think we all can take it as given that there WAS fuel in the spent fuel pool (lots and lots of it). The spent fuel pools of basically all NPPs worldwide are on overload with the stuff, as it’s cheaper to store there than in dry casks and also the question remains “where to put it?”

• jec jec

Missing fuel rods, spent or not, might just also explain why there was a “mushroom” of smoke..and black smoke seen. And the fact so many hot spots seem to be spread far and wide on land. On sea..well lets say it probably a lOT worse….dumping by accident or on purpose into the oceans spread the danger to all countries.

• americancommntr

The spent fuel was in the blackish-brown mushroom cloud smoke, and was some of the debris falling back out of the cloud.

• americancommntr

The absolute largest, deadliest, most-polluting dirty bomb ever, at least so far.

• LetThemEatYellowCake LetThemEatYellowCake

So it is possible it all gets vaporized and blown up? Then why is anyone concerned about what’s in the hole? The NRC said the fuel was not damaged. What am I not understanding here. Do you think they’re lying or don’t know what they’re talking about? Because if that’s true, I can’t believe no one has filed anything against them for such negligence if everyone else is accurate too (excluding Mr. Gundersen in that scenario). omgosh, I need a break..hahaha

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

YellowCake, is it possible you’re just messiing up “spent fuel pool” and “reactor pressure vessel”?
          RPV’s blob divided downwards / upwards, SFP’s stuff went upwards – leaving the pool empty, apparently.

• vivvi

Perhaps they mean that even though it was blown to smithereens, it is not damaged in the sense that it is still just as radioactive as it ever was, its just spread all over the place now. See? It’s not damaged!!

• LetThemEatYellowCake LetThemEatYellowCake

Perhaps vivvi!lol I wouldn’t put it past their form of truth telling for sure! Hi breadandbutter, it’s totally possible I’m messing it up yes – I really don’t understand well how these things work. I understand the uncertainty though, that’s why I’m even more uncertain about accepting and way more so when I hear an expert saying something opposite and asking the question himself along with discrepancies in how this happened in order to prevent it. Shutting them all down would be my best solution but fixing the Mark 1 along with whatever caused a detonation should be more desperate as that would affect all because they weren’t built for that so it needs to be looked at. Taking Mr. Gundersen out of the scenario would make what everyone explained make sense I believe thus far, but still not the actual question of cause. And regardless of him being right or not on other things, the result being like this type of detonation explosion is enough to give this concern merit – at least enough to find and put to rest because he said we hadn’t. A personal appeal to people, scientists and agencies to prevent a repeat #3 result, within any carefully worded short speel, piques my attention. Know what you’re facing type stuff or face it again. It would be nice if he, Tepco, NRC, etc clarified though and added more truth.

• dpl dpl

conclusion MOX fuel is a bomb once reconfigured by a meltdown and the rollout of MOX is more dangerous and more toxic. MOX fuel is the only way so ensure the future of nuclear power because of the scarcity of uranium and the high cost of reprocessing spent rods. Human error and mechanical failure and angry planet leave us with increasing risk of NPP explosions of the type we can’t afford to cleanup.

• CaptD CaptD

Denial of future Quake Problems
    Fuel rods missing
    Corium(s) locations unknown
    Wide spread radioactive pollution in Northern Japan

YET

TEPCO and the Japanese Gov’t. are ready to claim everything is
    SOMEHOW safely contained in Fukushima!

BTW: Senators Boxer and Sanders “Get It”…

• ottawa_dave

All reactor cores have plutonium in them after they have been used for any significant period of time. The MOX was present in a small amount in Reactor 3, and is not significant compared to the amount of plutonium created by the normal operation of Reactor 3.

So, small comfort. At first, I thought that the MOX was a significant issue, but that is only the case for a fresh fuel load. All used fuel is full of plutonium.

• James2

The plutonium in the MOX fuel was 9% I think. Since the reactor only ran for a few months before it blew up, I’d say most of that was still there, and not much post reaction plutonium was created yet.

I was under the impression that the plutonium produced in the a reactor was a very small percentage.

I can’t remember if they loaded it with a full load of MOX or not – if not they normally change out 1/3 of the rods at a time.

If they did put a full fresh load of MOX in, then they would have had some only partially used rods they took out and those would have been in the SFP.

• Hogweed

James,

Officially only 32 of the 516 (less than 6%) fuel assemblies in unit 3 were MOX. MOX fuel normally contains between 3-10% plutonium as far as I can find out. So that’s actually very little extra plutonium in reactor 3 compared to a standard Low Enriched Uranium load. Had it been fully loaded with MOX then it wold be a much bigger problem. A fully loaded with MOX reactor could then be up to 10% Plutonium as compared with 1.5% max for typical used fuel. If the rest of the fresh MOX fuel was in SFP 3 waiting to be loaded and that did explode as Arnie and others think, well that’s not good at all…

Typical LEU spent fuel has between 1 – 1.5% plutonium in a normal cycle.

• dpl dpl

reactors designed to handle MOX fuel need more control rods just to handle 30% MOX fuel loads. older unmodified NPP like FUKU should never have been allowed to load MOX. harder to handle MOX fuel reaches criticality in an instant no room for error straight to meltdown once you light the fuse.

• VanneV anne

MOX is a terrible problem because it is ground up very fine. In an explosion it goes up very high and is moved in the Jet Stream around the world and comes down in the air as hot particles which people and animals breathe in and is very deadly staying in the lungs and causing lung cancer and other health problems.

• VanneV anne

We’ve already got 420 hot particles from Fukushima for every one of the 7 billion persons on the planet.

• James2

I’m not sure where you get that number, but I’d be surprised it’s that low.

The only studies of inhaled plutonium rendered it nearly 100% fatal within 5 years.

You can eat plutonium and live. You can drink plutonium and live. If you breathe it, you die.

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

So, this press conference was held at the “Foreign corresponats club”, right?
    Let’s see how much of this info we’ll find in our media.

(my guess: zero)

• Ken31ONCA

its pretty crazy they can find so many workers willing to work there with all the information on the dangerous effects of radiation. but if there are people who would consider going to the west coast to go through the debris to cash in then im sure there would be plenty of people who would consider working at fukushima espically if they offer more then they really wanna pay and suck people in that way. It says alot about the economy in japan the tsunami must of really hurt cause i always thought they were a pretty strong country economy wise. its like people stealing copper from christmas lights, or going on shooting sprees because they were denied foodstamps. Most of us should consider ourselves lucky in this day and age. Times are tough and they look like they will get much worse before things get better!

• BreadAndButter BreadAndButter

Hi Ken, there are many young people in Japan without a regular income. They survive on short-term or freelance jobs and call themself “freeters”.
      They are in desperate situations sometimes and have founded their own union to defend their rights….short doc in English here:

• Ken31ONCA

thanks again for posting, im not always a positive person, i have bad days just like anyone and some days think there is no alot of hope. but you definately got to admire people who at the worst time can rise above everything and make the best out of a bad situation, and you dont hear enough about it. so thanks again for posting it, we can all learn a lil from the japenese instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for themselves or being too scared to do anything they are making a difference even if its just to wake up a few people i like to think its worth it. but some people with the negative comments and opinions all the time dont help things, id definately not wanna be the one making decisions cause they effect so many, and whats good for some people is not good for others, it wouldnt be easy! not that they have done a good job or anything. we should all hope for the best

• arclight arclight

hi b and b repost here but some discussion on the yakusa here

check out erins statement here and scroll up and down on the thread about how secrets can easily be kept from the public..
        japan is a corporate government, run for profit with many cultural effects that aid censorship!! but the info from posts on this thread were very informative… yakuza involvement is described

“Many thanks to all of you posting explanations about how so many people could disappear without drawing a lot of immediate public attention…….”

nuclear ginza

part 2

• or-well

Yup.
      Exxon Valdez cleanup, BP/GofM, those needing work are at risk of being exploited thru these “opportunities”.

Japans’ shrinking population is a huge challenge to their economy (and much else).

• Not just worldwide contamination but prima facia evidence that worldwide regulatory capture by industries of nation state governments. Should these structures survive the coming die back our specie will be better off dead.

• Whoopie Whoopie

H u f f i n g t o n Post the thread WE’RE ON was
    mentioned by Sanders! (he was talking about the article)

• Hogweed

At 21:33 Google auto-captioning says “There’s almost a n****r Moh****d at it”. I know that’s off-topic but this is an astonishing sentence for a Google transcription app to come up with. Someone at Google should be shot.

• Replacant Replacant

This isnt “new” this video of what is in Reactor3 spent fuel pool still freaks me out since this was the MOX fuel pool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KugIrnThul0
    compared with Reactor4′s damaged but still something there video

• Grampybone Grampybone

I love how they call it a cold shut down when they simply lost the fuel pellets. How about saying “Cold Shutdown, Hot Atmospheric radiation levels” would be much more accurate. So this leaves us with evidence that fuel pools 3&4 are both missing/damages/vaporized. That’s not good TEPCO you can’t just go around losing hundreds of tons of nuclear fuel and at the same time say over 50 Bq/kg of radiation is harmless.

• WorseThanChernobyl

Would you all please go to the discussion thread and read the email response I received from the “lead agency responding to the Fukushima accident in WA state” where he states that the fuel never left the containment, etc. etc. and there is nothing to worry about? I don’t know what to say in response! His contact info is included.

• James2

Folks, I probably sound like a broken record, but there is no possible way that the explosion on March 14th in the #3 reactor building came from the spent fuel pool.

LET ME REPEAT – ITS NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE.

The mushroom cloud we saw came from the reactor core, or at a minimum the containment.

An explosion in the SFP would render a totally different explosion contour .

What you see in the pool video shown above – that looks like total destruction is really the remnants of the #3 roof – which was reinforced concrete is shown strewn throughout the pool – which is full of water. the pool however is 45 feet deep or so, and the camera only goes a couple feed deep. If there are any rods left, they are underneath that rubble.