Title: Fukushima No. 2 plant was ‘near meltdown’
Source: The Yomiuri Shimbun
Date: Feb. 10, 2012
The Fukushima No. 2 nuclear power plant was “near meltdown” [...] according to the head of the plant. [...]
Plant chief Naohiro Masuda, in charge of plant operations since the crisis, told reporters Wednesday, “The No. 2 plant almost suffered the same fate as No. 1.”
[...] a Nuclear Emergency Situation Declaration was issued for both the No. 1 and No. 2 plants. The declaration was lifted for the No. 2 plant in December.
The Problem Then
[...] The tsunami caused the No. 2 plant’s seawater pumps, used to cool reactors, to fail. Of the plant’s four reactors, three were in danger of meltdown.
Luckily, one external high-voltage power line still functioned, allowing plant staff in the central control room to monitor data on internal reactor temperatures and water levels.
By March 15, the No. 2 plant’s four reactors reached a state of cold shutdown without any leakage of radioactive materials. [...]
The Problem Now
The Fukushima prefectural government conducted an on-site inspection at the No. 2 plant on Wednesday and repeated a request to TEPCO to decommission the facility.
Masuda did not elaborate and said, “At the moment, I can only say we’ll maintain a state of cold shutdown.”
Read the report here
It’s not entirely clear what the statement “By March 15, the No. 2 plant’s four reactors reached a state of cold shutdown without any leakage of radioactive materials” means.
A) Was there no leakage at any time?
B) Was there not leakage after the plant reached a ‘state of cold shutdown’ on March 15?
Also, why use the phrase “state of cold shutdown” instead of “cold shutdown”? “State” is also included when referring to the “state of cold shutdown” at Fukushima Daiichi. As three full meltdowns/melt-throughs occurred at Daiichi, using the same terminology to describe Daini is troubling.
See more reports about what happened at Fukushima Daini
- FLASH: Smoke seen rising from ANOTHER nuclear power plant 10 km away -- Fukushima Daini (11) March 30, 2011
- ANOTHER NUKE PLANT: Fukushima Daini has 3,000 tons of radioactive water in reactor buildings (100) June 7, 2011
- TEPCO halts reactor's cooling system at Fukushima Daini after electrical sparks observed (19) July 7, 2011
- New data shows Fukushima Daini nuke plant prepared to vent steam from all four reactors -- Feared that containment vessels might be damaged by pressure (26) August 10, 2011
- Report: Smoke seen rising from Fukushima Daini after quake but before tsunami (56) August 21, 2011
- Tepco President apologizes for accident at Fukushima DAINI nuclear plant... not just Daiichi (36) November 14, 2011
- Fukushima *DAINI* reactor has broken containment vessel, says Tokyo Professor -- Probably caused by quake, not tsunami (89) January 9, 2012
- Fukushima *DAINI* on Mar. 12: "Seriously injured worker is still trapped in crane operating console of exhaust stack" -- "Breathing and pulse cannot be confirmed" (11) January 9, 2012
- AGAIN: Tepco President mentions 'accident' at Fukushima *DAINI*, not just Daiichi (51) January 11, 2012
- Kyodo: Fukushima Daini "not so fatally damaged" as Daiichi -- Gov't now making claims of cold shutdown 'conditions' at BOTH plants (29) January 12, 2012
- Spent Fuel Pool cooling systems at Fukushima Daiichi and Daini stopped after power supply problem (8) January 17, 2012
- Officials make 1st inspection of Fukushima Daini: Still using temporary cooling -- Cores didn't "seriously" overheat -- Most important task is keeping reactors in 'cold shutdown' (25) February 9, 2012
- Yomiuri: Fukushima Daini was 'near meltdown' admits head of plant -- "At the moment, I can only say we'll maintain a STATE of cold shutdown" (33) February 9, 2012
- Japan Media: "Wasteland" at Fukushima Daini perfect place for Tepco to set-up decontamination factory (10) February 10, 2012
- New Report: Cabinet members were bracing for possible evacuation of Tokyo -- Edano feared Daiini problems -- Yoshida warned officials of meltdown on 3/14 (9) February 27, 2012
- NYT: Top Japan official warned of demonic chain reaction after Daiichi meltdowns -- We would lose Fukushima Daini, then we would lose Tokai -- We would also lose Tokyo itself (29) February 27, 2012
- Worker falls ill at Fukushima Daini -- We confirmed no radioactive materials were adhered to the body -Tepco (7) March 8, 2012
- New Tepco Survey: Most contaminated location is near Fukushima Daini, not Daiichi (MAP) (16) March 26, 2012
- Book by Fukushima Worker: Bottom of Daini reactor may be 'broken through' -- Rumors of possible explosion (49) April 23, 2012
- Major Japan Weekly: Industry insiders say Fukushima Daini "damaged badly" (41) May 10, 2012
- Shukan Asahi: Fukushima Daini also had major damage from 3/11 -- Submerged under 4 meters of water (75) May 30, 2012
- Daini Reactor Inspected: Paint coming off inside containment vessel -- Blamed on temperature and humidity increase after 3/11 quake (PHOTOS) (9) June 8, 2012
- Former Tokyo Police Chief: Tepco wanted to withdraw from Fukushima Daini, not only Daiichi (9) June 9, 2012
- Tepco: We are focused on ensuring Unit 4 is kept in a stable condition and fixing the three other units... at Fukushima DAINI (14) July 4, 2012
- WSJ: Fukushima Daini "still receives lots of radioactive fallout from Fukushima Daiichi" (16) July 4, 2012
- Japan Times: Fukushima Daini 'written off', Reactors No. 5 and 6 at Daiichi also -- Japan Policy Minister: Plants "should never be restarted" (25) August 17, 2012
- Fukushima Tapes in English: Daini workers needed emergency room after being at Unit 4 -- Unable to decontaminate exposed people -- "Plants are not safe" (VIDEO) (7) August 30, 2012
- Tepco checking for damage inside reactor at Fukushima DAINI (8) October 2, 2012
- Reports: "Something may have happened at Fukushima II Nuclear Power Plant" after M7.3 quake -- Tepco "did not know cause of pressure rise" (32) December 7, 2012
- Fukushima Daini Unit 1 had pressure increase after quake, before tsunami -- Gundersen: "They should also talk about just how damaged Fukushima Daiichi 5 and 6 are but we’re not hearing that either" (VIDEO) (9) December 10, 2012
- Report: Worker says Fukushima Dai-ni "might be getting ready to be restarted" (12) December 27, 2012
- Film: High radiation alarm went off at another Fukushima nuclear plant before tsunami hit (VIDEO) (13) March 14, 2013
- Kyodo: Terror drill at Fukushima nuclear plant -- Fears about 'highly fragile' cooling systems (44) May 11, 2013
- Former Prime Minister of Japan: I realized Fukushima disaster could have been 100 times worse than Chernobyl (VIDEO) (29) October 8, 2013
Published: February 9th, 2012 at 9:41 pm ET