Caravan to Midnight, the John B. Wells Program, March 2014:
At 43:00 in
- Dr. Helen Caldicott: There seems to be no end in sight for this dreadful catastrophe. About 300 to 400 tons of radioactive water per day are pouring into the Pacific, have been for the last 3 years, and will continue probably for the rest of time because no one can find out where the molten cores of a hundred of seethingly hot uranium are. No one can get near them because they’re so radioactive, and the water will continue to flow over them, I guess, forever more. I can’t see any other way out of it. [...] I had the same reaction as you when two days after the tsunami and earthquake occurred [...] I got this feeling in the pit of my stomach [...] there is simply nothing anyone can do about it. And people are asking me all the time what can I take, what nutrients can I take? There’s nothing you can take to remove the radioactive elements from your body once you’ve eaten them.
At 46:15 in
- Caldicott: We need to be depressed. People can get through depression. […] People need to be sad, they need to be depressed. They need to get moving and close down all the reactors in America. They need to start getting off their bottoms and moving away from their computers, using their democracy, educating their representatives […] taking over the state house, the congress because you own them. In the vacuum that people leave by not using their democracy in an educated fashion that the corporations step into the vacuum.
At 50:00 in
- Caldicott: The nuclear industry is covering it up because they know damn well that if the real truth comes out it will be the end of nuclear power.
At 55:30 in
- Caldicott: It’s only America that can save the planet, if you rise to your full moral and spiritual height and decide to do it. Nothing else matters, nothing else matters.
Published: March 24th, 2014 at 2:43 pm ET
- AP: Link between nuclear weapons and nuclear power is “becoming increasingly clear” says Japan professor — Nuclear power industry not thrilled people are talking about it July 31, 2012
- Nuclear Engineer on Radio: Unfortunately, the truth is there will be a large death toll from Fukushima — Damages to be seen “over the next century” — Disaster at plant is unprecedented in magnitude (AUDIO) September 3, 2013
- KPFA: Dr. Helen Caldicott threatened with death while in Japan for speaking about nuclear power — Students being charged with disturbing the peace for handing out flyers (AUDIO) March 20, 2014
- Expert to discuss radioactive material being emptied into ocean from Fukushima Daiichi -Caldicott (AUDIO) January 16, 2013
- Mainichi: Collusive relationship between gov’t and nuclear power industry August 1, 2011