Published: February 25th, 2013 at 11:43 am ET

Title: Forgotten Fukushima-Japan Two Years After the Daiichi Accident
Source: Fairewinds Energy Education
Date: Feb. 24, 2013

At 7:00 in

Dr. Helen Caldicott, Helen Caldicott Foundation*: It takes my breath away, I’ve never seen anything really so despicable in my 40, 50 years of being a doctor, that people are being ignored in the face of great danger.

At 11:00 in

Caldicott: I watched the accident and thought, “My God this is the worst thing that’s ever happened, ever.” And Arnie [Gundersen] verified that, the worst industrial accident ever to have occurred. It’s irreparable. It can’t be cleaned up.

(*For details of the symposium sponsored by the Helen Caldicott Foundation on March 11-12 in New York City, please visit  http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/symposium.html)

Full program here

See also: Gundersen: Fukushima releases are equal to or greater than Chernobyl

Published: February 25th, 2013 at 11:43 am ET

1. Expert to discuss radioactive material being emptied into ocean from Fukushima Daiichi -Caldicott (AUDIO) January 16, 2013
  2. Caldicott: “They think ‘China Syndrome’ has happened at one or several of these reactors” — “Nuclear engineers don’t know what to do” — “No way they can contain it… There is nothing to do, I think they’ll never clean it up, never” (VIDEO) October 5, 2013
  3. Caldicott: California nuclear plant a ‘time bomb’ if restarted — Chance of nuke disaster in U.S. very high… not if, but when (VIDEO) March 15, 2013
  4. AP: Japan cancer surgeon in fear of what’s to come after Fukushima disaster — “A terrible thing has happened, but people don’t realize it at all” October 22, 2013
  5. Caldicott: “We’re talking about a disaster of unbound proportions” from Fukushima Daiichi — 2.5 to 3 million deaths a possibility (VIDEO) July 8, 2012

18 comments to Caldicott: Fukushima disaster the worst thing that’s ever happened — I’ve never seen anything so despicable in decades of being a doctor (AUDIO)

• norbu norbu

Dr. Caldicott, thank you for all of your hard work. I have been listening to you since the 80's. Be well and safe.
    N

• Anthony Anthony

This disaster has been waiting for a team of professionals to tell it like it is. I'm not detracting from the past efforts of many, her statement about it being despicable is in the effective lane. I applaud Dr Caldicott.

BIG respect.

• Time Is Short Time Is Short

There you have it. The bald truth.

Now it's just watching everything collapse.

Human greed won out, to the endpoint of total global bio-extinction.

If there is a good reason for all this, I'm listening. The silence of the world's greatest spiritual leaders is deafening.

• pure water

"The silence of the world's greatest spiritual leaders is deafening." True! The word "leader" has become almost an abuse these days, like donkey leading sheep. And sometimes it is to the slaughter house…
      Let us be grateful for the brave voices of truth, like Dr. Helen Caldicott!

• markww markww

It is not only the GREED but how the Japanese Government see's it's people nothing more than just pawns they do not care about their population

Markww

• DannieJ DannieJ

"Fukushima disaster the worst thing that’s ever happened"

Yes, it is.

• weeman

Even in the face of this catastrophe they still promote nuclear power, what is wrong with these people, for the life in me I don't comprehend how does this benefits mankind, they do not even fully understand the basic knowledge of fission, tell me were does all that energy come from, a atom is a very small thing to contain that much energy?, I likin it to a asteroid hitting earth complete destruction,how would you like to be that atom,

• dka

I am trying to stay "sane", it is not easy because what is going on is seriously ill and it hurts.
    Big thanks to Arni and Helen for bringing some sanity.

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

Depravity..indeed.
    Here are the words of the Japanese PM Abe.

(Updated)with Word Cloud Speech )Abe Goes to Washington, Declares I'm Back, So Declares I'm Back, Hardly Anyone cares In the US.

The PM goes about speaking this way while..victimizing the people.
    He reminds me of the main character in Junichiro Tanizaki's novel.."The Secret History Of the Lord of Musashi".
    Depravity beyond measure.

PS. He shouldn't fear the coming of the Harpies..she's already there.

• Johnny Blade Johnny Blade

Even though ENEwser's including yours truly didn't need degree's in nuclear physics &/or engineering to be able to understand the severity of Fukushima's impact(s) on a global scale-the above statements by Dr. Caldicott & Arnie are worthy and need to be repeated over & over because the stranglehold on the voices of reason has been so effective many of the sleepwalking public have NOT heard about the ongoing nuclear disaster still unfolding in Japan and all points downwind or any of the other "allegedly" lesser radioactivity release events via nuke industry/govt. censoreship policy being carried out more efficiently than they're able to run their crap NPP's under the BEST of conditions!!(?) It's just a weird feeling to KNOW something horrid has happened to the world and EVERYONE in it and 2 years into the ordeal most I run into have NEVER even heard the word Fukushima!(?) It may be "old news" to us,but there are still plenty of people who I hope see the above post and are smart enough to follow-up by educating themselves & keeping abreast of the subject & be able to add their voice & sentiment to ours soon(?)!! ~ :| ~**

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

Fukushima wasn't the "worst thing that’s ever happened, ever". Instead, doing NOTHTHING ABOUT Fukushima is the worst thing that has ever happened.
    First thing is that TEPCO should have admitted that there were three melt-downs in progress on 3/12/2011.
    In a week, TEPCO should have joined forces with the Japanese Government/Military to accomplish the following:
    1. Dig a 100' wide trench in a rectangle around Units1,2,3,&4, from the Harbor to uphill behind the buildings.
    2. Drill horizontal holes under Units 1,2,3,&4, from the uphill trench to the downhill trench.
    3. Plumb headers on both sides, build a pumping station, and begin pumping liquid nitrogen through the pipes under Units 1,2,3,&4 to FREEZE the downward migration of Corium1,2,&3.
    4. Install rebar, and fill the trench with concrete, surrounding the now-frozen Corium.
    5. Empty SFP1,2,3,&4, transfering fuel assemblies to a newly-built CSFP.
    6. The 100' wide concrete dam now becomes the foundation for a concrete Sarcophagus over Units1,2,3,&4.
    7. Pour a concrete Sarcophagus over Units1,2,3,&4.
    Don't tell me that this project wouldn't have been completed by now! It could have been done. It SHOULD HAVE been done!
    Hey, guys, I only have a BS degree in Biology, but I was able to come up with this plan in realtime on ENEnews as the disaster unfolded. Are you telling me that the best minds in Japan cannot, even now, admit that Corium1,2,&3 got out of Units1,2,&3 into the bedrock underneath…

• PhilipUpNorth PhilipUpNorth

Operators of the NEXT "Fukushima" type disaster should take note of how to respond to the next melt-down. Respond to what has actually happened, in reality. Do not be misslead by what the politicians are misleading the people to believe has happened. Focus instead on the reality. No "party line". Focus on what has actually happened, and on what you can do about it. The politicians will crumble. Be strong, and persevere. You will save the people in the end.

• HELEN CALDICOTT: "The reason I decided to [organize this symposium: 'The Medical and Ecological Consequences of the Fukushima Nuclear Accident' on March 11-12, 2013 http://nuclearfreeplanet.org/symposium.html is because I watched the [Fukushima] accident and I thought, 'My God, this is the worst thing that's happened–ever.' And Arnie [Gundersen] verified that–the worst industrial accident ever to have occurred and it's irreparable. It can't be cleaned up–the radiation on the ground. And the thing is, it takes up to five years, usually, for cancers and leukemias to start appearing, post-radiation. And so often I was interviewed–and I'm sure Arnie was–by these journalists who are cocksure of themselves, who say, "Well, nobody's died…" And that really got my goat, because we don't expect anyone to have died, yet. You die from radiation if you get a huge dose of radiation, like being blasted by an atomic bomb–these people [from the Fukushima accident] didn't get such a high dose…and they are eating radioactive food, continuously. So I was so frustrated by the media coverage–which has now died off–and the accident is ongoing…I mean, it's still releasing huge amounts of radiation into the Pacific Ocean and the air and the food's radioactive and the like. So, I want to educate the media–national and international media–about radiobiology and how radiation causes cancer and what other abnormalities it causes–damage to the fetus…

• Helen Caldicott, continued: damage to the fetus…to developing fetus…so they understand why this is so serious and how it damages the very building blocks of life–the genes, in the eggs and the sperm–which are passed on, generation to generation. So the accident doesn't just 'not end', but the ramifications for future generations–with a large increase in inherited genetic diseases, of which there are over 2,000, will be enormous. And it's not just humans–all plants and animals have genes–and so from a biological perspective, I want people to understand what this really means and then, extrapolate back to the reactors in America, in particular– that are creating vast amounts of radioactive waste–which, you know, you don't even have to have an 'accident' to see these genetic effects through future generations, as radioactive waste leaks and gets into the food supply. That's why–as a physician, a pediatrician concerned about children's health, in particular, who are so radiosensitive, and all future generations–I've organized this symposium."

On the front page here: http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org

• gnomesang gnomesang

thank you to dr. helen caldicott, she is so honest and understands that we are just people who want to protect our loved ones, ourselves, to fix to whatever extent we can fukushima, and to end this monstrous industry. the other so called leaders and especially our despicable mainstream media view us as the "consumers" (eaters/taxpayers), wanting us just sick enough to need their medical care, just well enough to keep working and paying taxes and just distracted enough to consume their crappy products. i for one will never knowingly give one dime to ge. westinghouse or mitisubishi again.