FUKUSHIMA DAIICHI NPP EVENT AND ASSOCIATED RADIOACTIVE SOURCE TERM, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (Emphasis Added):
Even if no spent fuel pool had a release, total cesium-137 was estimated at 1.38E+17, or 138 PBq (138 quadrillion) for the 3 reactors+.
Canada’s CWC scenario may be understating the release. See:
- The 3 reactor cores are thought to have undergone a near 100% melt, unlike the 28% that was presumed at Unit 1
- The CWC scenario assumed protective measures (shelter, KI pills, EZ) were instituted as needed; Yet the protective measures were lacking: Some residents were told to flee and shelter in areas with higher radiation levels than they were escaping from; KI pills were not administered; Some of Fukushima’s most polluted areas did not evacuate for weeks.
- Release pathway is suspected to be from the containment vessel lid lifting up, which releases more radiation than the CWC ‘s assumption that “release pathway –> bypass of primary containment (through wet well)”
Published: December 8th, 2013 at 1:18 am ET
- Gov’t Expert: Fallout in California thousands of times higher than we expected for several days after Fukushima explosions — ‘Orders of magnitude’ above estimates at start of crisis, even though estimations based on Chernobyl — Article: Releases at these levels would mean “many hundreds of kilograms” of “many other fission products!” (MAP) September 23, 2014
- Canadian scientists detect “significant” concentrations of radioactive material off West Coast, levels double in months since last test — Marine Chemist: “Much greater concern” over Fukushima releases that will be hitting shores of US & Canada; Lack of data “really disturbing” (AUDIO) November 10, 2014
- Newspapers: Fukushima problems causing concern in U.S. as radionuclides cross Pacific — EPA: ‘No comment’ on projections of radioactive plume hitting West Coast — California residents beg officials to act October 21, 2013
- Nuclear Expert: This is just 1st radioactive wave hitting U.S. and Canada; Fukushima pouring into ocean, unstoppable for years and years — Marine Expert: No sign it will stop anytime soon; Plant unstable, potentially worse than Chernobyl (AUDIO) January 21, 2014
- Paper: “Now evidence has emerged that the radiation in Canada was worse than Canadian officials ever let on” — Radioactive coverup? October 20, 2011