Published: November 27th, 2013 at 1:36 am ET

Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds chief engineer, Nov. 26, 2013 (at 3:15 in): [It's] really a mixed blessing […] What saved Japan was that the wind was blowing out to sea. Now I said it’s a mixed blessing because the contamination is heading to the West Coast of the United States. >> Watch the Fairewinds video here

CBC interview with Jay Cullen, associate professor and marine chemist at University of Victoria’s school of earth & ocean sciences, Nov. 20, 2013 (at 8:15 in): I think we could definitely have more monitoring. I know that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans — the Institute of Ocean Science –- [the lion-p?] program which is a time series program that monitors the chemistry and biology of the North Pacific that’s headed up by Maria Robert. They’re making measurements of these Fukushima-source radionuclides offshore, and they’re starting to detect the presence of the plume of radioactivity. Again these elements, the concentrations are really quite low compared to natural* radionuclides, but it is making its way towards our coast. But I do think it would be prudent to monitor both precipitation and what’s going on in the oceans, especially over the next couple of years. 1: for what we can learn about how the oceans are operating; and 2: to really – again — put these risks into perspective. I think that the public’s perceived risk, especially when it comes to radioactivity in the environment, is sometimes way out of line with what the actual risks are.

Prof. Cullen, Nov. 21, 2013: “The natural level of radioactivity on average in the oceans is about 13 Bq/L.” (or 13,000 Bq/m3)

(Note: Fish bio-concentrate cesium-137 at a rate of 100 times the level found in the surrounding water. For seals and sea lions it’s up to 1,000 times. Source: IAEA

Full CBC broadcast available here

Published: November 27th, 2013 at 1:36 am ET

1. Vancouver Sun: Scientists concerned dolphin species on west coast to be negatively impacted by Fukushima nuclear waste — Radiation levels to be increasing for years to come along coast — Canadian gov’t sampling for Iodine-129 in Pacific April 15, 2014
  2. Gundersen: Japan gov’t attempting to cover up health effects — A lot of deformities and cancers will be identified by citizens in next couple of years (AUDIO) August 14, 2012
  3. TV: After seeing that map with massive amount of nuclear waste headed to West Coast… There’s going to be impacts — Reporter: And radioactive water still hasn’t stopped flowing from Fukushima into Pacific (VIDEO) January 27, 2014
  4. Nuclear Engineer: Radiation levels “much higher” in areas of Fukushima plume headed to west coast than models show — Radio: Concern “other isotopes” besides cesium to cross Pacific (AUDIO) April 11, 2014
  5. Gundersen: Radioactive plume to impact West Coast in a year — Not going away after it hits… likely to only get stronger — Fukushima will keep releasing contamination for years to come — Must demand officials test fish and make data public (AUDIO) August 27, 2013

44 comments to CBC: Gov’t scientists are now detecting Fukushima’s radioactive plume offshore of Canada — Professor: It’s headed to our coast, I think monitoring rainfall over next couple years is prudent (AUDIO)

• timemachine2020 timemachine2020

Hiya sickputer! I hear that the 70,000 sailors and marines that were involved with operation Tomodachi medical records have been erased? What say you?

• bo bo

I just found another article on fukushima that appeared 5 days ago written by Jay Cullen. He says :

when I read that marine organisms and human beings are in danger along the West Coast of North America because of radioactivity from Fukushima, I have a responsibility to communicate to the public that this is not so. The radioactivity that we are exposed to here every day, by being on or in the water or from consuming seafood from the Pacific, is insignificantly different from the time before the terrible events at Fukushima took place.

• I see headlines like this and I want to vomit – and then I seriously wish I could take some kind of action against those who would willingly lie to a population by equating radiation with bananas. The only "justice" is that radiation isn't selective and people like Jay Cullen (he doesn't deserve the title "doctor") and all these idiotic, sycophant journalists who sold out their integrity for a paycheck will likely dies form the radiation that they dismisses as unimportant. Still, he and his ilk have a right to continuously lie to world.

The radiation hit Canada right after 3/11 and never stopped. I have friends who live in Whistler who have invited me for a free ski vacation – and I won't go. I will never ski in the Northern Hemisphere again. It isn't worth the additional exposure. I meet a lot of Canadians from BC in my shop. I think half the population of Nelson comes to Nicaragua for winter vacation. I have talked with so many Canadians who do not know what Fukushima is, let alone that they are breathing radiation. The have pretty much unanimously said that their government would never lie and I am just paranoid. My European friends believe that they are untouched, even when I show them dispersal patterns and facts like Fukushima markers showing up in French butter and pine tress in Siberia. Some people think enenews is a conspiracy site!

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Kelly, most people are in denial about Fukushima and the beauty about science (scientific method) is for all that science does to improve our lives, this progress is also verifiable about the results obtained good or bad using that same scientific method.

This enenews site is a far cry/distance from any type of conspiracy site since the scientific method can be used to prove or disprove any headlines/links/information produced which are often backed by many educated scholars in many fields of expertise. Let them know this is an educational website with some interesting posters that light up many of headlines/topics displayed via/expressing their freedom of speech first amendment rights. :)

As far as vacations people should understand from this site the precautions required through the education thrown out and shared with all that come to learn. Remember the fallout is very sporadic and so is the harm and not everyone will necessarily be negatively affected when they go on vacation but I would stay away from Japan for sure.

Enjoy your life today and even your Canadian ski vacations using those simple precautions..

All nuclear technology is bad technology and they should come here to learn why.. :)

• hogy

Right. Recently when I was staying with my Parisian friend, we were at a weekly market and she asked if I wanted to eat some fresh picked mushrooms. I said I had stopped eating them because of rad-isotopes. She replied that she doesn't buy any that come from Ukraine or Bulgaria. Then I said, "Well, Chernobyl hit France too. Her reply was what I get also from a lot of friends here who will talk about this: "People have to eat. What can they do?" This is the bottom line paradox that we all are faced with. Most people who haven't been brainwashed by industry and govt. propaganda just feel resigned, it seems. I'm an oldie so I'll die of something eventually and not so long in the future. But I keep fighting, along with outfits like NIRS and the others.
      It's much worse for younger people, dealing with the horrors of what will their kids die of and how about the rest of the planet?

• stormtwin

Hey Kelly. I live in Whistler and most people here are also not aware that Fukushima is an ongoing issue and do not want to hear about it either. There are many of us though that are well aware of our situation and know that it is likely too late for us to prolong our inevitable lethal exposure. My girlfriend and I have quit skiing at the end of the 2011 season and will be leaving Whistler and moving to our new property in Costa Rica(Cahuita)in January. Fortunately, we are of the lucky group that made early investments in Bitcoins and Litecoins and now have the means to live out the rest of our days with means. You would be amazed at how angry many of our friends are that we made so much money in the coins, even after we repeatedly implored them all to invest in them as well. They attacked our concerns for their financial futures with the same haughty dismissing as we have continuously met with over Fukushima. I will never understand why people are always so quick to ignore or insult the messenger, or who will so quickly turn against those friends that tried so hard to help them. There will be no last laugh here. Instead, we are simply making our humble goodbyes to those that we once considered good friends and heading to what is likely to be our final oasis.

• pkjn

Radiation in American air and rain continues to rise.
    Bobby1's Blog – optimalprediction.com

A new record of all-beta radiation was measured on Nov. 25 at Fukushima:

The 26th, Tokyo Electric announced from observation wells located on the sea side of the 1-4 Unit Fukushima, radioactive materials that emit beta radiation, such as strontium-90 has been 910,000 becquerels detected per liter. Was taken in the 25th, I went up from 750,000 becquerels of collecting the 21st. In the well of the primary sea side, it was a record high.

In The US, very high readings from rain were measured in Arkansas on Nov. 22. This is near the record high for this observer. This looks to be at least 18 times background. (Radiation in rain typically never exceeds 2-3 times background in high radon areas.)

• Cooter cooterboy

This is a train wreck in slow motion but instead of 100 casualties in mere moments of time, Fukushima will kill billions of humans over the years to come.
    Time to rethink what the Mayans were trying to tell us. The Mayan calender did not say the world would end, only that we face a new beginning. A new beginning just like Star Trek.
    Peace

• jackassrig

When the doctor comes in tells you have cancer and you will be in for the fight of your life, important things begin to get crystal clear. The unimportant things begin to fade and the important things become clear. I know from experience. These journalistic crackpots will find out the hard way. I wish some of these crackpots would stroll around a cancer center sometime and see how hard it is to fight cancer.

• Daisy207

"When the doctor comes in tells you have cancer" UHHH EXCEPT that the doctor may tell you that he also has it and the treatment is being used only on the TPTB – and to just go home and take some asperine and hope that the pain isn't that bad – OH wait – the doctors already had the heads up and are out of the country by now and living in south America or South Africa, New Zealand etc. , – many people won't be able to find a doctor or a hospital or a clinic – not even the very rich or TPTB can escape this one as the southern hemisphere will become a feeding frenzy when they all realize that the dollars they have were simply printed and are worthless where they are living – and that there is a limited food supply now as nothing can be grown in the northern hemisphere that can be consumed.

• andagi andagi

Dear Daisy207,
      Good point. Most folks not aware of…
      'Continued Shortage of Chemotherapy Drugs Causing Concern'
      Aloha.

• Au Au

Daisy207- that's what I was thinking too. Doctors with money (who have not left yet) will sell their practices(if they can), cut the cords and go. If they are a doctor that has overextended themselves with a big house mortgage and expensive cars, etc. it might be more difficult to unload all of that plus, one actually has to have lump sums of cash to get into most countries and one has to be able to prove they will have a steady income while living in the new country.

At some point, euthanasia options will probably become part of the health care system. I mean, death care system, as doctors and nurses aren't impervious to the rads.

• WWJD WWJD

ARTICLE QUOTE: "But I do think it would be prudent to monitor both precipitation and what’s going on in the oceans, especially over the next couple of years."

Really, close to three years now after the accident and now they want to monitor. LOL

• bwoodfield bwoodfield

We've killed the Albatross

"One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
    Too quick for groan or sigh,
    Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
    And cursed me with his eye.

Four times fifty living men,
    (And I heard nor sigh nor groan)
    With heavy thump, a lifeless lump,
    They dropped down one by one."

• OldFool

The best counter arguments to use against the comparison of cesium-137 to potassium-40 (bananas) are the following.
    Potassium-40 is a rare isotope – only 12 atoms out of every 100,000 potassium atoms.
    Potassium-40 has a half life of 1,248,000,000 years, which means the probability of a spontaneous decay during the time it is inside a human (biological half life of 10-30 days, depending on daily potassium consumption amounts) is extremely short.
    Potassium-40 is primarily a beta particle emitter, three different decay modes, and only 10% of decays release a gamma ray too. Humans have evolved repair options over millions of years to deal with this isotope.
    In contrast, cesium-137 produces a gamma ray when it decays, with a half life of only 30.17 years (and biological half life in humans of 70-110 days, depending on daily consumption amounts of chemically similar elements, pectin, etc.), so the probability of a spontaneous decay inside a human is about 8 orders of magnitude higher. Humans have not evolved repair options over millions of years to deal with this isotope.
    If this does not stop the argument – it's a waste of time to continue.

• or-well

Speaking of radio and nuke downplayers…
    "Don't succumb to BiosFear!
    Don't miss fun in the great outdoors!
    Don't listen to radio-phobic bores!
    Get the latest NITCO HappyWear!
    No Imminent ThreatCo is pleased to announce
    a new way to radio-noia trounce!
    A new radio station that 24/7
    broadcasts a soothing nuclear message
    that you get with an implant in your ear!
    Commercial-free shillery easing your fear!
    Hours of rumor-free listening pleasure
    from the Nuke Industry's greatest treasures;
    nuclear-minded birds-of-a-feather
    who ignore Scary Science altogether!
    You'll hear the greatest Spintastic Stars,
    such as
    "We interrupt this broadcast with an announcement from the Nuclear Emergency Management Organisation warning all downwind residents of upwind Presidents that there are no precedents for the following pronouncement – There will be an immediate suspension of all disbelief that for National Security more Nukes we need, and"

or-well disconnects the media feed.

• MichaelV MichaelV

If the concentration of radioactive contamination from Fukushima is comparatively lower than 'naturally occurring radionuclides' from reactors that doesn't mean the plume is 'safe'…!

If a 'few' hot particles managed somehow to escape from the Hanford reservation, the likelihood of my being exposed to radioactivity from the Fukushima plume is still greater.

Look at it this way:

Which would you'd rather deal with?
    1. A few troops each with fully loaded automatics or,
    2. A massive and growing army of troops each with a single shot pistol.

They're can't minimize this disaster with lies…!

• obewanspeaks obewanspeaks

Michael, excellent point! I have to lean back on this link from Mack for a comparison to Hanford. :(

This town (Naples Area) represents what would happen if we built a town near/over the Hanford Nuclear land dumps/fill/area.

What makes me sick is too just think about how many people from around the entire world (vacationers/ travelers/relatives) visited this town over the past 40 years? After their stay they returned home only to find themselves sitting in hospitals who are telling them they have no idea why they have their new cancers diagnosis/diseases that very rare/common and that are now spreading killing them.. :(

This "Nuclear Technology" is truly horrific and a crime committed on all biological life residing on Planet Earth!

I will/would advise all travelers to "choose wisely" their planned destinations in the future, since this "Nuclear Contamination Shit" has been dumped everywhere/many places around the entire world.. :(

The surprise found inside these cracker boxes I would not wish on my worst of enemies.. :(

• MichaelV MichaelV

@obewan

Great link.

It supports my view that connects:

JFK vs. MIC + theMOB = Fuku-shi-t

When folks say, NIMBY they bring in their enforcers who, know these here streets…

When the SHTF the criminal dregs will have an advantage.

Stock up on food, H²O, and medical supplies and whatever else you can use to run and shoot with along interior lines.

• AFTERSHOCK AFTERSHOCK

great flag obewanspeaks. This ties-in wonderfully with the discussion that we were having on investigating waste dumping operations. Reading the responses from others, one person mentioned how cautious they're going to be in their consumption of Italian products. I'd just warned others months ago against blithely thinking that Italian bottled waters were, in any way, safe to drink…

• hbjon hbjon

With the Jetstream pushing short lived, high energy particles at great speeds, it is possible that a particle comes in contact with you within a week of its birth.

• ratpuppy ratpuppy

When I think about how easily and thoroughly radioactive particles get around, I remember this simple fact: The radioactive element Americium-241 (made from Plutonium, and first created in 1944,) is now estimated to have been absorbed at some microscopic level, into the tissues of every living creature on the planet!
      I live in the north-central US, and even from here, are watching that plume as it travels to the west coast. It looks to me like we could be getting irradiated rain even here on the Minnesota prairie from 2015 to 2022!
      That's not even including the on-going radiation leaks to the Pacific from the melted cores, or the critically that would envelop Japan if TEPCO has an accident in the spent fuel pool. So, keep those geiger-counters handy…

• Alpha1

The cutting of a dead whale was handled more delicately in this instance on Science Channel. But it still was stinky going, with the creature emitting methane, hydrogen sulphide and ammonia, nuclear chemist Alistair Linstell said.

NOW WHY WOULD THEY NEED A NUCLEAR CHEMIST TO BE PRESENT FOR A WHALE????