Title: Report: Gov’t “collapsed” during Japan nuke crisis
Source: CBS News
Author: Lucy Craft
Date: February 27, 2012 7:09 PM
Report: Gov’t “collapsed” during Japan nuke crisis
[...] details about the nuclear meltdown that happened that tragic day are just beginning to emerge.
[...] Today, a report revealed the chaos between Japan’s leaders during the crisis.
Tetsuro Fukuyama, prime minister’s adviser
- “The normal lines of authority completely collapsed”
- “As we listened to our top nuclear experts, we politicians had no idea what they were talking about. Was anyone going to suffer radiation contamination? Would this be another Chernobyl or Three Mile Island? No one could give us a straight answer”
- Fukuyama said that the government thought that a nuclear meltdown was impending, and feared that a massive cloud of radiation would force the evacuation of 30 million people in the Tokyo region.
- “Terrified doesn’t begin to describe how we felt”
- “When we learned the reactors had in fact melted down, I was overwhelmed, by our inability”
Read the report here
Published: February 27th, 2012 at 8:57 pm ET
- US Diplomat: It’s not stable — Fukushima Daiichi is in really bad shape — US gov’t was “privately terrified” over crisis January 26, 2012
- BBC: Water crisis at Fukushima has only just begun — “Plant sits smack in the middle of an underground aquifer” — It’s rapidly being overwhelmed deep beneath ground (VIDEO) August 6, 2013
- Kyodo News: Fukushima raises concerns over “viability of Japan’s future” — Former Prime Minister: Reactor restarts “a criminal act toward future generations”; “Fate of country” at stake; “Myth that nuclear power clean and safe has collapsed” January 22, 2014
- FOX News – Report: Japan failing at health checks for Fukushima workers — “TV says things are fine at Fukushima; They’re not” (AUDIO) November 27, 2012
- ABC News: ‘Never-Ending Disaster at Fukushima’ — ‘Japan is stumbling helplessly from one crisis to the next’ September 14, 2013