Title: Oil may be seeping from Deepwater Horizon site
Source: CBS News
Author: Sharyl Attkisson
Date: Dec 13, 2012
CBS News has learned that BP is set to embark Thursday on the fifth day of a little-known subsea mission under Coast Guard supervision to look for any new oil leaking from the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
[...] more oil continues to surface. Slicks and sheens of varying sizes and shapes have been documented by satellite photos, as well as aerial video recorded by the non-profit environmental group “On Wings of Care.” [...]
Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., helped lead the original investigation of BP after the Deepwater Horizon exploded, and says it’s deja vu: BP is not turning over videos and information requested by Congress.
“My concern is that substantial amounts of oil could still be leaking from the wreckage,” Markey told CBS News.
Markey says BP is now repeating its stonewalling behavior of two years ago. For more than two months, Markey and Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., have been asking BP for underwater video and information such as the size of the slicks and how much oil could be trapped, but BP has said it will not provide the information due to pending investigations and litigation. [...]
The Coast Guard canceled an interview with CBS News at the last minute on Wednesday. BP also declined to be interviewed but told us in a statement, “The Macondo well and its associated relief wells are secure.” BP also says it will work with the Coast Guard “on any further steps, as needed, to address the results” of this week’s survey of the wells and wreckage where oil from 2010 could still be trapped.
Once again, the actual concerns are not addressed by media or elected representatives. It is not about whether the “Macondo well and its associated relief wells are secure”, but whether oil and gas is seeping from fissures or cracks in the seafloor which may have been caused during the initial blowout or the many attempts to cap the well.
See also: [intlink id="newspaper-new-oil-spotted-by-bp-disaster-site-in-gulf-pilot-concern-its-from-new-cracks-caused-by-deepwater-horizon-explosion-photos" type="post"]“The concern we probably all share is that this does not appear to be from a previously existing or at least previously documented natural seep, and therefore if this is not still residual oil from leaking hardware after 30+ months, then is it coming from some new cracks caused by the Deepwater Horizon explosion?” (VIDEO)[/intlink]
Published: December 13th, 2012 at 10:54 am ET
- TV: Massive oil sheen around BP Deepwater Horizon site in Gulf of Mexico (VIDEO) December 17, 2012
- Newspaper: New oil near Deepwater Horizon in Gulf; BP told to check area again — Pilot: Concern it’s coming from recent cracks (VIDEO) November 16, 2012
- Coast Guard: Oil reported near BP Deepwater Horizon site (MAP) November 12, 2012
- Underwater footage of BP Deepwater Horizon disaster site — “Officials are still trying to identify the makeup of white droplets spotted in the water” (VIDEOS) January 2, 2013
- New drilling platform above BP’s Deepwater Horizon wellhead in Gulf — Many large oil slicks nearby (VIDEOS) December 5, 2012