Published: March 1st, 2012 at 8:06 pm ET

Title: Xenon-133 and caesium-137 releases into the atmosphere from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant: determination of the source term, atmospheric dispersion, and deposition
Source: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics; Atmos. Chem. Phys., 12, 2313–2343, 2012 www.atmos-chem-phys.net/12/2313/2012/ doi:10.5194/acp-12-2313-2012
Authors: A. Stohl1, P. Seibert2, G. Wotawa3, D. Arnold2,4, J. F. Burkhart1, S. Eckhardt1, C. Tapia5, A. Vargas4, and T. J. Yasunari6
1 NILU – Norwegian Institute for Air Research, Kjeller, Norway
2 Institute of Meteorology, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
3 Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics, Vienna, Austria
4 Institute of Energy Technologies (INTE), Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
5 Department of Physics and Nucelar Engineering (FEN),Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
6 Universities Space Research Association, Goddard Earth Sciences and Technology and Research, Columbia, MD 21044, USA
Date: Received: 8 October 2011 – Published in Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss.: 20 October 2011
Revised: 1 February 2012 – Accepted: 23 February 2012 – Published: 1 March 2012

[...] By middle of April, 133Xe was fairly uniformly distributed in the middle latitudes of the entire Northern Hemisphere and was for the first time also measured in the Southern Hemisphere (Darwin station, Australia). [...]

During the accident events, 133Xe and 137Cs from FD-NPP were dispersed throughout the Northern Hemisphere and eventually also reached the Southern Hemisphere. [...]

In April all measurement stations recorded an enhanced (but due to radioactive decay, decreasing) background of 133Xe caused by the FD-NPP emissions, indicating the transition to complete dispersion in the Northern Hemisphere (see Stohl et al., 2012). Even the Australian station Darwin started recording enhanced 133Xe concentrations in April, indicating penetration of radioactive contamination into the Southern Hemisphere.  [...]

Published: March 1st, 2012 at 8:06 pm ET

1. Strange: Dramatic drop in background radiation just before radioactive cloud detected in Australia January 14, 2012
  2. Australia ‘came within an inch’ of agreeing to store over 30% of world’s spent nuclear fuel — Europe eyed next December 13, 2011

58 comments to Study: First time in history xenon-133 detected in Southern Hemisphere — Cs-137 also measured — Darwin station, Australia

• StillJill StillJill

Ummm, that's dated June of 2012. Care to elaborate?

• KillBudahKillPope

in Brasil we use DAY/MONTH/YEAR… like normal ppl, crazy ppl uses Month/day/year :D

• StillJill StillJill

I stand corrected–crazy me!

• kintaman kintaman

Everyone should be using YYYY/MM/DD. It is most logical.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

I'm crazy too, but then I'm an US citizen and ergo, never ask forgiveness for any errors my rabid exceptionalism might invoke.

But I refuse to kill the buddha. The Pope, on the other hand, that's another level of non-transcendence altogether.

Do you know that the Pope, when asked what he thought about buddhism replied:
      …that he couldn't think very highly of buddhism because it was merely auto-erotic spirituality!.

Let's hear it for "Auto-Erotic Spirituality!"

• StillJill StillJill

@dharmasyd,…"never ask forgiveness for any errors my rabid exceptionalism might invoke"—My friend,…..I am going to steal this line and use it for 44 years–Fukushima willing, that is! :-)

• PoorDaddy PoorDaddy

Hmmm, adds a whole new dimension to morning services.
        7;00, 9:00 and 11:00 o'clock Mass…..turbation.

Disclaimer: Not meant to offend anyone. Just my attempt at humor.

• StillJill StillJill

God I love your humor PoorDaddy! :-)

• arclight arclight

confusing thread! :)

dates, amounts .. is nothig standard?

how many zeroes in a quadrillion then?? LOL!

"People sometimes ask me the names of the large numbers. Here is a table. The system used in the U.S. is not as logical as that used in other countries (like Great Britain, France, and Germany). In these other countries, a billion (bi meaning two) has twice as many zeros as a million, and a trillion (tri meaning three) has three times as many zeros as a million, etc. But the scientific community seems to use the American system."

interesting that the scientific community has a very different version of the large zero numbers…

i thought they had a simple 24E+06 already! why change it to a word with more than one meaning????

and i hear that richard wakeford the statastician.. ie trying to come up with a new dose measuring system!!

anybody a bit suspicious?? :)

• vital1 vital1

New Zealand,
    Dunedin
    1st February 2012

Another radiation cloud, this time a massive 4.5 uS/Hr recorded passing over Dunedin New Zealand on the 1st February 2012 at 2am in the morning, during a rain event! I have just been given permission to publish it by my contact in New Zealand. It shocked everyone, so the owner of the Geiger counter needed to make sure the equipment was working correctly and spoke to the manufacturer, and was assured it was working correctly.

Article on another radiation clouds passing over New Zealand is here.

and here

Australia,
    Queensland
    Sunshine Coast
    8th January 2012

Cloud detected over Australian East Coast.

—————————————————————-

Get the message out there on how serious the Fukushima nuclear disaster is
    quickly, and efficiently. You don’t need to explain anything just distribute the lifesaver.pdf (or create your own), hand it out, mailbox it, or email it. Put it everywhere, libraries, notice boards, web pages, forums, Facebook, and tweet! Think outside the box.

• arclight arclight

hi vital

a little update on the 2517 file

there is a technical query on this and it has to do with …. dates.. not the ones you eat! :)

the dates on the graph show the previous month.. its a bit glaring, so i recieved a reply to my question on this and think it appropriate to post this here to clarify the senders position and some interesting facts that help explain the spikes.. i think im glad actually because the answer was more detailed than just the graph.. i trust this "unknown" hero! more than i do the readings at hong kong for instance!

" The GS uni wasn't set properly after the first recorded spike. Hence, the uncorrected date data was published. The time is correct, for the date specified … it was never envisioned that fallout would be here, and the date was never correctly set after its last service.

The missing patch between the logs is the down time for the GS uni switching from 1 minute to 7 day logging as the memory fills.

Average 24 hours is 0.14 … climbing to 0.23/0.24 and higher for these events … and lasting for a while post … dropping to 0.14 from 0.23 … inside.

The dip after the heavy counts is really curious, and has been seen with several GS units. There is not explanation … none. But it is real … the ocean/beach rate here is 0.03 to 0.05 micro/hr … land is a bit warmer.
      The evening that it occurred coincided with a heavy brief downpour …. when the rain stopped, so did the radiation. The drops were really large, and weird … also, there had been fallout previous to the uni being reset – you can see the earlier blips. Some of the earlier zeros are from guests playing with the unit resetting it. These were recorded inside – outside would have been hotter. You can see the different spikes as the gs uni was moved to the window … the window was slammed shut … and there is 2 feet of brink and mortar in this place! Solid as!!
      …cont

• arclight arclight

"cont…
        We have had a smaller event her recently also with the rain … as the ground dries up, it does as well.
        Background stays elevated for a bit … then it disperses. Short half life and mobile.

Either or, in the rain, or free in the wind … with small amounts of residue … "

great observations from a citizen gieger!! great post vital 1

• vital1 vital1

I have added the info to the 2517 blog page.

I should have added the explanation about the date stamp of the NZ Geiger counter being not set right. The old Gammascout models put the time and date stamp in the same column in the downloaded csv spread sheet. So when I created the charts of the data it also added the incorrect date stamp in the time line.

I decided to add it to the chart info as I received it so we could not be accused of editing the direct data from the Gammascout at a future time.

The date headings on each New Zealand chart is the actual date the data was recorded.

• wfs wfs

here is a link to a pro nuke scientist on staff at one of the internets top ten blogs writing about how mental health is "important".

as the fallout spreads so does the subterfuge and disinformation

• Whoopie Whoopie

#Fukushima: Must-Watch Video On Unsafe American Nuclear Plants http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=29558

• Whoopie Whoopie

Need everyone on board here. http://boingboing.net/2012/03/01/fukushima-and-mental-health.html
    I'm speechless TONIGHT (burnt out?) …hoping many others ARE NOT.

• Whoopie Whoopie

Midori Futabatei
      "Obviously this only addresses the Mental Health aspect in Japan which is certainly a problem. But what about the RADIATION? What about the PLUTONIUM spewing from Daiichi NNP's right now??? Spin and shift the truth all you want…the REAL consequences will come in the form of infant deformities, increased cancers and D E A T H. (Japanese Gov are hiding those #'s right now)
      GOOD FUCKING NIGHT.
      (not angry at you guys…just angry)

• Alice Alice

Perfectly understandable, Whoopie. You've been doing a great job of hitting all these sites to bring awareness to others who may not know the real deal.

It can be exhausting. Take a break and pamper yourself. Some tea (not Japanese green tea). Take 3 deep breaths and don't forget to exhale.

You'll be fine.

• dharmasyd dharmasyd

I ain't speechless. I never, never, never expected anything but blah blah blah from such sources. Be speechless if you so desire, but I am not.

• InfoPest InfoPest

I wrote this reply to a obvious pro nuke article in the NY Times that belittled the radiation problem in Japan. When I was done I realised it wound be a good standard reply to so many nuclear propaganda pieces I have read. So I give my permission to anyone who wants to reuse it as a reply to those kinds of articles.

External exposure levels is NOT the real problem in Japan. Internal contamination is the problem. Breathing radioactive particles into the lungs or ingesting contaminated food is the problem. Radioactive particles are on the ground, in the lakes, the rivers, the plants, the animals and the people. Radioactive particles are being spread throughout Japan by every activity, from the burning of contaminated matter, to the tree pollen blowing in the wind, to the people tracking it around on the soles of their shoes. Half the people in Japan are internally contaminated. Any article you read that does not address internal contamination is nothing but nuclear industry propaganda.

• Laterlukemayb Laterlukemayb

Whatever that Blue Goo is they inadvertently found I hope that it's able to save the world from it's current disaster.

• Laterlukemayb Laterlukemayb

[MODERATOR: Stay on topic of post. Outer space talk in the forums.]

• StillJill StillJill

Have you been drinking Ohio's tap water again LaterLuke?

• Laterlukemayb Laterlukemayb

Ha ha ha, Thank you SillJill, haven't laughed in a while, I needed that. To answer the question, I really don't have a choice in the matter. I'm not going to pay $1.75 for the same thing that comes out of my faucet for 0.0005c. :)

• StillJill StillJill

I know Laterluke,……I am as poor as a Church Mouse,….but you have two options you may not know of. One is the fact that a gallon jug of distilled water is only about .90,…..I bought 8 or 9 a week all the past year until I moved here with an alkaline machine (Dec 2nd),…and two, before that when I didn't always have an extra $30 for water each month in gallon distilled bottles,…I boiled water every other day. You can also use tap and clean it with bleach and food grade hydrogen peroxide,…very little of each in each gallon–one tablespoon as I recall.

Please don't drink tap water my friend,…especially,…you know,…Ohio's!

• Laterlukemayb Laterlukemayb

This is going to sound really bad but you will definitely know that some kid of change has happened to the water supply if you go to drink a glass of water and it goes down like a raw egg. Bleaaaagh!

• Laterlukemayb Laterlukemayb

Wrong face :(

• eatliesndie

I'm 30km inland from Byron Bay and have been observing background radiation here for over 3years. Since the end of Jan, peeks now regularly pass 0.30uSv/hr, requiring me to change my counters allarm threashold from 0.3 to 0.4uSv/hr. In the 3 years previous to jan 2012, the alarm went off only once, and that was when i found a monazite dump under a street in a nearby coastal town(Hastings Point;
    0.5 – 1.22uSv/h)
    Since Jan, I've detected 3 peeks above 8.0 lasting aprox 10s.

• eatliesndie

Unfortunately, yes. Brief, alarming and hard to fathom.

• vital1 vital1

I am on the Sunshine Coast Australia. You would have seen my post above on detections on the Sunshine Coast and New Zealand.

I have been posting my Geiger counter detections of high radiation events in the enenews forum for that purpose. If you would do that it would be appreciated.

• eatliesndie

well, im not sure it qualifies as "background". I've been searching like crazy for some kind of local source without luck. I am guessing(long shot) there is some larger, lighter particles being blown around. Even seems hard to believe the strength of peeks in NZ and Sunshine Coast ,so far from the source.

• vital1 vital1

Yes, these high detections of radiation in the southern hemisphere are a shock.

I am glade you have come forwarded with this information.

• vital1 vital1

My detections so far have come from off the Pacific Ocean from the NNE. I only live a few kilometers from the ocean.

• Bobby1

Thin plumes of radionuclides can persist over very long distances, they don't necessarily disperse evenly. This was evident at Chernobyl.

The radiation reports coming from Australia and New Zealand are troubling, to say the least.

• vital1 vital1

You will find the forum "Post Your Radiation Monitoring Data Here" down on the right hand side of enenews.

• eatliesndie

I have only mobile phone internet and have heaps of trouble finding my way around cyberspace. I will join ene event forum.

• VanneV anne

Xenon-133 and caesium-137 releases into
    the atmosphere from the Fukushima
    Dai-ichi nuclear power plant:
    determination of the source term,
    atmospheric dispersion, and deposition
    A. Stohl1, P. Seibert2, G. Wotawa3, D. Arnold2, 4, J. F. Burkhart1, S. Eckhardt1, C. Tapia5, A. Vargas4, and T. J. Yasunari6

• RutherfordsGhost

We in NZ really would like to know much more about what you have been observing, and any data that you have logged?
    Similar events are being noticed around New Zealand, including fallout on the West and East Coasts.

• VanneV anne

http://www.ctbto.org/fileadmin/user_upload/SandT_2011/posters/T2-P3%20P_Achim%20Contribution%20o f%20Isotopes%20production%20facilities%20and%20nuclear%20power%20plants.pdf

III. Assessment of Fukushima accident contribution.

“The French NDC conducted ATM of radionuclides released into the atmosphere during the accident. Concerning Xe-133, three releases of 2E18 Bq connected with the explosions of units 1, 2 and 3 were considered.”

• Anthony Anthony