Title: Cleanup From Fukushima Daiichi: Technological Disaster Or Crisis In Governance?
Source: Fairewinds Energy Education
Author: Art Keller
Date: June 13, 2013
[...] One of the first demonstrations conducted by [Kevin Wang]’s team was at a Japanese school still in routine use. The contamination was widespread and included troubling accumulations of radiation in biological materials. While the asphalt driveway was contaminated, the grass next to it was four times as radioactive as the asphalt. The worst were the patches of fungus on the bleachers at the school’s baseball field, which had sucked-up radionuclides to such a degree that they were emitting radiation at 70-times the contaminated asphalt.
[Sam Engelhard, an industrial hygenist and certified radiation protection technologist] described the chilling phenomena of the fungus-turned-radiation-sponge as, “a remarkable example of biological amplification.”
Wang said it more bluntly, “A boy sitting on that patch to watch a baseball game could do real damage to his gonads.” [...]
Published: June 14th, 2013 at 1:51 pm ET
- Watch: Young kids play in ocean nearby leaking Fukushima plant — “Real cause for concern” over radiation levels in sand (VIDEO) August 9, 2013
- “Game Changer”: Fukushima cesium releases likely 20-30 times higher than revealed (AUDIO) March 28, 2013
- Japan Times: Fallout from Fukushima causing problems 180 kilometers away — “It’s all become no good”… Contaminated wild vegetables, fish, wild game February 16, 2013
- Source: Local official “has not collected real black substances” — “He had only mixtures, not real substances” — Levels still reached over 5,000,000 Bq/kg June 16, 2012
- Watch: Alpha radiation detected 50km south of Fukushima in Iwaki City — Up to 1,000 times more dangerous than beta or gamma equivalent (VIDEO) March 14, 2012