Trace Radiation Found In West Coast Tuna
May 28, 2012
[...] low levels of radioactive cesium from Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear accident turned up in fish caught off California in 2011, researchers reported Monday.
Tissue samples taken from 15 bluefin caught in August, five months after the meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi, all contained reactor byproducts [...]
But neither thought they were likely to find cesium at all, they said. And since the fish tested were born about a year before the disaster, “This year’s fish are going to be really interesting,” Madigan said.
“There were fish born around the time of the accident, and those are the ones showing up in California right now,” he said. “Those have been, for the most part, swimming around in those contaminated waters their whole lives.”
And if any fish are found with dangerous levels of radioactive material in their tissue, “It would be our responsibility to report it right away,” he said.
Published: May 28th, 2012 at 6:29 pm ET
- Forbes: Radiation in California bluefin tuna may be a blessing — Lead Scientist: My first thought was this will do more for conservation of this animal than nearly anything else could May 31, 2012
- “Truly Frightening”: Higher and higher radioactivity levels expected to continue for years in bluefin tuna (VIDEO) June 9, 2012
- CBS Video – Cousteau warns Californians about Fukushima plume: It could be dangerous, keeping eye on reports; I’m not touching bluefin tuna, I’m done due to pollution — Leaders “worried about radiation… personally reluctant to eat fish”; Calling for systematic tests in Pacific February 16, 2014
- Top Cancer Doctor: Irresponsible to say cesium in California bluefin tuna is nothing to worry about — You have radioactive material in fish, which is being eaten by people (VIDEO) May 29, 2012
- TV: Bluefin tuna picking up more and more cesium — Contamination “will go on for 300 to 600 years” (VIDEO) June 22, 2012