Title: Japan struggles with Fukushima water leaks
Author: Matt Smith
Date: August 6, 2013
[...] highly radioactive water from the site has been seeping into groundwater and the harbor off the plant. [...]
[...] The problem now is what to do with groundwater that’s leaking into the damaged basements of the reactor buildings and passing out contaminated, said Michael Friedlander, a former nuclear plant operator and engineer. [...]
[Tepco] is having to store the radioactive water in massive tank farms built around the site — a makeshift solution with no good permanent fix, Friedlander said. [...]
And Friedlander said that may leave TEPCO and Japan’s government with two choices sure to stoke further public anger: “You can either dump it in the ocean, or you can evaporate it.”
“At the end of the day, collecting 400 tons of water every single day is not a sustainable solution,” he said.
Federal officials allowed the Three Mile Island nuclear plant [...] to let contaminated water evaporate, Friedlander said — but TMI was nowhere near the scale of the Fukushima disaster.
“We’re in uncharted territory here,” he said.
Orlando Sentinel, Nov. 25, 1992: Nuclear Plant To Release Radioactive Evaporation [...] radiation will be released into the atmosphere, but not enough to be harmful, [Three Mile Island] spokeswoman Mary Wells said.
AP, April 17, 1987: The water [...] could be boiled into steam without significant harm to the environment, says GPU Nuclear Corp., operator of the Pennsylvania plant.
Published: August 6th, 2013 at 10:09 pm ET
- ‘Shock’: Water underneath Fukushima reactors to be dumped in ocean — Attempts to deal with problem have ‘failed’ — Officials: It’s better than radioactive substances just “spilling directly into the ocean” like it is now (VIDEO) August 8, 2014
- New highly radioactive leak from pipe at Fukushima plant — Expert: Nuclear material may be flowing from “damaged pipes or drains” into Pacific April 11, 2013
- Hundreds of tons of radioactive water now being intentionally dumped into Pacific at Fukushima plant — Tepco: “We’d like to express our sincere appreciation” — Nuclear water stored since last year to be dumped next week — Official: Tepco “utterly inept” at taking accurate radiation readings (VIDEO) May 21, 2014
- Japan Gov’t: It’s “inevitable” that Fukushima radioactive water will be dumped in Pacific Ocean — “Tepco has no choice” July 26, 2013
- Groundwater closest to ocean is most radioactive at Fukushima plant — Official: Highly likely it’s leaked into Pacific — Levels “soared” in sea over last few months July 1, 2013