Powerful quake strikes off Solomon Islands, 9:03p ET:
[...] A tsunami watch was in effect for more places: the Marshall Islands, Howland and Baker, Pohnpei, Tokelau, Samoa, Kermadec Islands, New Zealand, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Indonesia, Wake Island, Chuuk, Jarvis Island, Guam, Northern Marianas, Palmyra Island, Yap, Johnston Island, Minamitorishima and Belau.
Nathan Becker, with the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, told CNN that conditions are right for the making of a tsunami.
[...] it might be an hour before they know more, he said.
See also: Update: Quakes continue near Solomon Islands, up to M6.6 — Now a dozen in last few hours (MAP)
Published: February 5th, 2013 at 9:11 pm ET
- Update: Quakes continue near Solomon Islands, up to M6.6 — Now a dozen in last few hours (MAP) February 5, 2013
- ANOTHER: M8.2 quake hits Indonesia — 3 large aftershocks so far — Fresh tsunami warnings issued (VIDEOS) April 11, 2012
- M8.7 hits Indonesia — Indian Ocean-wide tsunami warning (VIDEOS) April 11, 2012
- “Japan issues tsunami advisory after strong 6.7-magnitude quake” hits off northeast coast June 22, 2011
- TV: “We don’t want to create a panic, but it’s good to know” — Radioactive tsunami debris coming to Hawaii “much earlier” than predicted (VIDEO) October 19, 2011