Windows 7: How to raise/increase volume above 100% maximum level

Published: September 11th, 2011 at 7:32 pm ET

*For Windows Vista, see Windows Vista: How to raise/increase volume above 100% maximum level*

I didn’t think this simple change would work to increase volume but sure enough… Helped quite a bit, especially for those lower decibel nuclear-related videos on YouTube. Hope some find it useful as well.

STEP 1; Single click the volume icon in the system tray, usually at the bottom right of the screen

STEP 2: In thin window that pops up click the icon at the top (see arrow in photo below)

STEP 3: In the pop-up window, choose the ‘Enhancements’ tab

STEP 4: Click the box next to ‘Loudness Equalization’ so there is a checkmark

STEP 5: Click ‘OK’ and you’re done

Feel free to ask questions in the comments below. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

(Perhaps your friends/family might appreciate it? Let’s email around a link to this post and see what happens… maybe they’ll even learn a little about what is going on here. There is now an email icon above  — near the headline — so it is easier to send out posts.)

Published: September 11th, 2011 at 7:32 pm ET

1. Windows Vista: How to raise/increase volume above 100% maximum level September 11, 2011

26 comments to Windows 7: How to raise/increase volume above 100% maximum level

• steeplerot

Try turning it up 200% while watching this Fukushima/Zardoz mashup, you are sure to get peoples attention. Something has to break. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHw1rrOtcE

• TotoLaRue

Great tip – thanks!

• theypoisonus

Duh.. Vista is Win 7 right?

I keep getting a mess. from microshaft wanting me to upgrade to 8 , so , I am ass u me ing that I have 7.

Icon I have is a speaker and clicking on that icon does naught. :(

• neminis

Try using Google to answer your own questions, it’s really fun!

• theypoisonus

@neminis

What is with you jumping on me?

I don’t know you and have never seen your ID.

I have read alot lately about Google censoring and using certain questions to gain profiles on people so they can give results ‘patterned’ for you for marketing purposes.
        Isn’t that special.

I am beginning to use new search engines.

I went to control panel, clicked sound, and I have no box like that even in properties.. so, I ass u me that my system is different.

You jumping me is unnecessary. imo
        Hope you wake up in a better mood tomarrow. :)

• Sickputer

Vista was the Microsoft operating system that succeeded XP. It never gained wide appeal because of seversl reasons ( the name itself may have been a major factor).

Windows 8 is yet to be released. Perhaps your PC wanted you to upgrade your IE 7 web browser to IE 8 (Windows 7 offers IE 9).

For more on Windows 8 here is an overview from a friend of mine, Ed Bott:

• cschlote

“So MS repackaged Vista into Windows 7 with a few changes. Voila! People loved it despite the fact it was basically Vista. The name helped.”

Basically you are right, but you should understand Windows Vista as the half-done alpha version of Win7.

Some idiot at M$ decided to sell the alpha version. Needless to say that end users weren’t really happy with the bugs.

Later they completed the remaining missing code and fixed most bugs. The final beta was then sold as Win7. With Win7SP1 we reached some more or less working state.

So it’s not just “renaming”.

I would recommend to upgrade to the latest SP of Win7 instead of using the early developer beta called (Hasta la) Vista.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

Thanks. That helped me make a decision.

• admin

theypoisonus, if left-single-clicking on volume icon does nothing i think you have XP, bc Vista does something..

the message to upgrade to 8 is probably talking about Internet Explorer, not the operating system.

soon i’ll be doing a post on how to boost XP volume.

unlike this tip, boosting volume for XP is a little more difficult and doesn’t work for everyone.

boosting volume in Vista is similar to 7 but not exactly, will do a post on that soon too.

• theypoisonus

Thank you.. ADMIN.

This machine ( acer ) has been a nightmare.

I have had to have it swiped clean and re-loaded with Vista again.

I don’t think it is XP, Shoot , I wish it were.

I went out to get some things and pick up the three legged dog at the groomer yesterday and I saw a yard sale sign. ( my 11 year old van that I won’t get rid of for alot of reasons ) acts like every vehicle I have ever owned, it turns for a yard sale 90% of the time :) :)

THe yard sale ended up being a computer techie home who said he could swipe this thing clean of Pista ( vista) and put XP on it.. that sounds like a deal to me.. thinking of looking into it.
        Prob. is, I don’t want to loose ANYTHING I have on here. The people that did the re-install backed most of it up, and after a phone call they even got my old emial stuff back on here.. I store alot of stuff in drafts as it is TOO easy. my bad

Info on puter: bought it at wallhell aka purgatory, Dec.2008 ( if I can still count)
        Vista operating system.
        Aspire 6930
        Intell T 6400
        4GB DDR2
        320 GB HDD
        On the sticker, I see no memory , but it is/was alot at that time.

• NoPrevarication NoPrevarication

And not a moment too soon! The low volume level in XP has been the bane of my existence for a long time.

• Bob Hardin Bob Hardin

This really works. I have a Thinkpad. They are good machines, bu notoriously low-volume. After using your suggestion, the volume is significantly better–I would guess about 1/3 better. Thanks.

• Steven Steven

As this is the first seriously off topic headline I’ve seen since the outset, I’ll simply point out that it’s seriously off topic and say no more….

except that it’s seriously off topic.

(is it just me? The world is going to hell in a handbasket and you’re posting Windows user tips?)

• acid Lab acid Lab

you are aware of the large amount of video content in the links on this site, aren’t you?

most people are on laptops these days.

most laptops have bad speakers.

for whatever reason windows 7 doesn’t have a knob that “goes to 11″… the knob on windows 7 goes to like 5 or 6. it’s very annoying.

this is a very useful tip.

• theypoisonus

acid lab,

My comp. goes to 10.

BUT, there are some vids that are so loud I have to tone them down and others I can barely hear.

No complaints, I just have ass u med that the audio is bad from the get go.

Don’t worry ‘your little self’ about my Pista machine.. I can read lips.. lol ( not really, for lulz only )

• theypoisonus

Pardon me, Steven but did you not really look at the subject?

ADMIN.. is trying to help us help the People of Japan AND the US, as most of us are terribly frustrated that even our relatives are shunning us over this topic.

Read AGAIN.. this is to help us get the word out.. use the link as a way to get people to fix a computer ‘idiom’ that most would not know AND get the word out about what is happening.

I think it is a brilliant and effective tool.

With due respect. Get off your laxy arse and do some research for yourself and help this community instead of critisizing it.

You got here for free.. never look at a gift horse in the mouth… as the old saying goes.

Contribute, Help, Add info, ACTUALLY try to be a driving force to help the peoples of fuku and the US or shut up !! jmho

No offence meant, but dam.. are you like the idiots that watch Nascar and WANT an accident to happen so they can get an adrenalin rush?

I won’t go into football or Jersey Shore, the Idiots of Jersey, et. al.

• Steven Steven

@ acid lab

I don’t doubt this tip is useful, just that it seems completely out of place as a ‘header’ or headline.

@ theypoisonus

As one of only a handful of folks here who defended you in the face of unpleasant accusations awhile back, I must say your response leaves me somewhat bewildered. Also as I have said before, we none of us have any real idea what other posters here are or are not doing ‘for the cause’.

“No offence meant” – well I feel quite offended for some reason. Clearly you never read any of my posts – I read most of yours btw. Suggest you rethink your position.

• theypoisonus

Heart wassup?
    I followed said link and I see the post, but why are you bringing this up?

I just want to be clear of what you are seeing.

We are of like minds in alot of ways, so help me out here? :)

• Heart of the Rose Heart of the Rose

@theypoisonus..hi there.
      Here’s how it goes…acid Lab…has a faux conversation with the administration…
      Acid lab started a series of inflammatory statements..all under the guise of being concerned about copyright issues.
      This was intimidation by threat of legal action,etc.
      I ask again that all parties here look at the law I posted..
      It is an IE (information engineering)op..they place shills for a long period of time..waiting for the opportune moment.
      I like the way they work on my detractors.

• odiez1 odiez1

I need not worry about such things..
    I still use win xp.
    My amplifier goes to 11!

• StillJill StillJill

Holy Cow,…Glenn Beck is now a sponsor of this site??? I’m freaking’ out! I stopped watching him when he ignored Fuku! Wrote him off as a human being in fact. Wassup?